Ninja H2 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I hope that I can get some advice regarding my 2016 Ninja H2.

Just some background - I have never driven the bike with the stock exhaust (so don't know how it is supposed to sound in a stock condition). The bike was delivered with an SC-Project CR-T slip-on carbon fiber silencer. I still do have the original silencer. No other modifications have been made to the motorbike or the exhaust system. For everyday riding, I drive with KTRC set to 2 and when the road is wet I set it to 3. When on the open road and having fun I set it to 1. I am riding in Johannesburg South Africa which is high altitude. The motorbike is still under 1000km (run in period) so I am trying to limit high revs.

I have NEVER driven a motorbike with a loud and open exhaust before. I notice a VERY significant amount of deceleration pop... It sounds like a LOUD rumble as the pops occur frequently after each other (like a crackling). If while decelerating I suddenly accelerate (during a deceleration) the engine will sometimes stutter and pop once or twice before running smoothly into the acceleration. I know this is due to unburnt fuel on deceleration and I enjoy the sound... I just want to make sure its not hurting my engine.

Also, sometimes when accelerating using Kawasaki Quick Shifter the gearbox will double tap, almost like a false neutral when changing conventionally. I put this down to sloppy gear changing and notice it only happens at low revs with slight acceleration. It has never happened with brisk acceleration, proper, purposeful gear changes.

Overall the engine feels extremely smooth and responsive with brisk acceleration but lumpy in low revs (i.e. traffic). My feeling is the bike needs to be driven 'hard' which I have started doing (I am still riding the engine in) and I feel it handles much better when driven that way. I feel a lot less frustrated with the bike driving quickly and with solid acceleration. When riding the bike like a cruiser the engine seems not to like it.

My questions are:
1. Is the deceleration pop with a loud open exhaust system normal? Do I need to worry? I like the sound but don't want to break the bike.
2. Is the double tap with the Quick Shifter normal? Is it simply a sloppy gear change at low revs like I think or could it be something else.

I am taking the bike to a Kawasaki mechanic next Friday for a check-up but would be interested in anyone's opinions who has more experience with sports bikes. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to add to the above... Does changing the exhaust silencer/muffler from the stock to an open loud pipe like the SC Project CR-T cause the bike to run leaner than it should? Considering the H2 is fuel injected this should not be the case right?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The Ninja H2 SX/SE shift instructions say do not use the QS below 2500 rpms.I know you have the H2,like me.Mine does not like shifting(QS)around low rpms.(upshifts).There's a sweet spot in the shift change for every gear.Just need to find it.And I think it varies from gear to gear.If that makes sense?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Ninja H2 SX/SE shift instructions say do not use the QS below 2500 rpms.I know you have the H2,like me.Mine does not like shifting(QS)around low rpms.(upshifts).There's a sweet spot in the shift change for every gear.Just need to find it.And I think it varies from gear to gear.If that makes sense?
Thanks for the tip. I have noticed that. I have started using the QS only when accelerating hard and high revs. When idling in traffic I use the clutch. Less problems now. Also, I am not that concerned regarding the deceleration pop, I understand it is a racing exhaust and a performance engine. Just want to make sure it is normal and that I am not hurting my engine.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
@DirtyHarry

If you didnt flash the ECU then you are prob getting the pop because the stock ECU is crazy rich. Everything I have read says that if you change the exhaust you should flash the ECU to reflect it. PM Brock to see what he says. I rememebr him doing a writeup on this topic somewhere along the line.

If you did flash the ECU you are prob getting the pop because the off throttle fuel cutoff is disabled.

NOLA

·
Registered
674 Posts
block or turn off the air injection (stuff on top of the cam cover) this introduces air into the exhaust on deceleration and causes the pop
poor joins on slip joints in an exhaust or gasket leak can do the same

·
Premium Member
428 Posts

Just some background - I have never driven the bike with the stock exhaust (so don't know how it is supposed to sound in a stock condition). The bike was delivered with an SC-Project CR-T slip-on carbon fiber silencer. I still do have the original silencer. No other modifications have been made to the motorbike or the exhaust system. For everyday riding, I drive with KTRC set to 2 and when the road is wet I set it to 3. When on the open road and having fun I set it to 1. I am riding in Johannesburg South Africa which is high altitude. The motorbike is still under 1000km (run in period) so I am trying to limit high revs.

I have NEVER driven a motorbike with a loud and open exhaust before. I notice a VERY significant amount of deceleration pop... It sounds like a LOUD rumble as the pops occur frequently after each other (like a crackling). If while decelerating I suddenly accelerate (during a deceleration) the engine will sometimes stutter and pop once or twice before running smoothly into the acceleration. I know this is due to unburnt fuel on deceleration and I enjoy the sound... I just want to make sure its not hurting my engine.

Also, sometimes when accelerating using Kawasaki Quick Shifter the gearbox will double tap, almost like a false neutral when changing conventionally. I put this down to sloppy gear changing and notice it only happens at low revs with slight acceleration. It has never happened with brisk acceleration, proper, purposeful gear changes.

Overall the engine feels extremely smooth and responsive with brisk acceleration but lumpy in low revs (i.e. traffic). My feeling is the bike needs to be driven 'hard' which I have started doing (I am still riding the engine in) and I feel it handles much better when driven that way. I feel a lot less frustrated with the bike driving quickly and with solid acceleration. When riding the bike like a cruiser the engine seems not to like it.

My questions are:
1. Is the deceleration pop with a loud open exhaust system normal? Do I need to worry? I like the sound but don't want to break the bike.
2. Is the double tap with the Quick Shifter normal? Is it simply a sloppy gear change at low revs like I think or could it be something else.

I am taking the bike to a Kawasaki mechanic next Friday for a check-up but would be interested in anyone's opinions who has more experience with sports bikes. Thanks in advance.
1. Deceleration pop is normal - it's happening with the stock exhaust also, you just can't hear it. It can be controlled primarily with a PAIR blockoff kit: https://brocksperformance.com/pair-...-15-18-zx-14r-06-18-zx-10r-04-18-z900rs-2018/ but you will get trouble codes if this is installed without a flash which turns off the codes.
2. Make sure your shift lever is adjusted close to the top of your foot, to require minimal upward movement to shift. Also make sure your chain is not too loose:

Brock
www.BrocksPerformance.com

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
@Brock,
I just loved that video. Great job explaining octane, timing, pinging and such. Most people don't realize what octane does and the way they used to put more octane in, was add more lead. Up at altitude octane becomes less important, and trying to explain to people makes their eyes glaze over, because they just know that high octane will make more power. And when I tell them they probably will make more with less octane, it just doesn't register. Right until I show them with a pull.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

My questions are:

Lower your shift lever and see if the thing stops shifting funny. When most people ride easy the shift easy, when the ride harder they shift harder. Lowering the lever makes it so you don't have to lift your foot as far.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So I just installed this same exhaust on my ‘15 H2. Zero popping on the decellaration. I am running stock ECU and have no other mods done to the performance. Running the stock cats and headers. I ride at sea level and maybe that has something to do with your situation. For the record, I replaced the akropovic banana carbon exhaust and the SC Project sound is AMAZING. Very happy with the switch. As for my neighbors and the local Police......That remains to be seen.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Oz booster has your fix...... its the environmental bs that has it popping.....air is allowed in to force and burn fuel and gases in exhaust. I kept it on my R1 as i love it lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts