Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As next years model has the rev ceiling raised by 2k via the ecu only, with afaik no engine internal changes ,would it be possible to reflash and raise the current models rev ceiling to same or can't that be done with current ecu?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a 2015 raised to 14k. New model gets 30 horsepower more from 2k more revs.Point being with the same internals as the new model, is the current block good for the extra revs too?

·
Registered
42 Posts
It's a 2015 raised to 14k. New model gets 30 horsepower more from 2k more revs.Point being with the same internals as the new model, is the current block good for the extra revs too?
And you know this how? Where have you seen that the new model is revving out to 15,500 RPM?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[QQUOTE=WR-NA;342287]And you know this how? Where have you seen that the new model is revving out to 15,500 RPM?[/QUOTE]

I know this as it's been in the bike press since October.

It revs to 16k, redlining at 14k.

Visit Kawasaki.Com and look up next years H2.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know this as it's been in the bike press since October.

It revs to 16k, redlining at 14k.

Visit Kawasaki.Com and look up next years H2.
It does not state that anywhere on either Kawasaki.com or Kawasaki.co.uk that the rev limit has increased to 16,000 RPMs. The only 'mention' of 16,000 RPMs is a photo where it shows the dash and "16" being shown there.

If by that same argument then I guess my Ninja 400 track bike build spins up to 15,000 (hint: it doesn't. The ECU in stock form stops it well short of that at 11,800.).

Additionally, what about the H2 SX?

In the ECU the RPM limiter is set to 12,500 from the factory, well short of the "14" it shows on the dash.

Finally, any power output mentions have the RPM value where peak power was recorded at:
Maximum power 170 kW {231 PS} / 11,500 rpm
Maximum power with RAM air 178.5 kW {243 PS} / 11,500 rpm
Since the blower is crank driven and more RPMs = more boost, then if your 'theory' is right, then wouldn't that max output of '231 PS' that they have quoted so often be recorded at your supposed 16,000 rev limit?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I thought the 2019 rev' limit was up from 13,000 to 14,000 rpm.

Continued boost and therefore more power isn't assured with increased revs. It depends on other ECU settings. Fly-by-wire throttle position, dump valve etc. This is what Brock and Don Guhl do.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
They did raise the rev limit to 14, my 18 was set at 13,200. Modern electronics have rev limiters so you can't over rev it with the throttle. Now that doesn't mean that it can't be over revved. You can downshift and the revs may climb up past the rev limiter into red line. Slipper clutches help to prevent that, but.... That is why the tach goes beyond red line so you can see the actual revs, not like a speedo that just stops.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I thought the 2019 rev' limit was up from 13,000 to 14,000 rpm
Right, and that's what I am asking clarification on, where he saw that. I placed my order for the 2019 a few days after the ordering period opened up and scour the net for info almost daily even having Google Alerts set up for anything new. I have not seen anything regarding rev limit being increased. Just the basic stuff released in the pressers; revised intake chamber, ECU, spark plugs, filter, new TFT dash, new tires, new super charge badge plate, self healing paint, blah blah blah.

Guess we won't know until the bike is out in the public and things can be compared side by side with the previous models.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's an assumption granted, but based on the facts that they've used the sx dash for next year but have gone to the trouble of a new +2k rev counter and given the fact you can redline a current stock h2 it follows next years will do the same.I can't imagine the needle is going to suddenly stop at 12k, two short of the red line. Peak power is 500 later too.
It could be for decoration I suppose,not.
Well see in the fullness of time.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Well,NONE of these actually enter redline.They all are restricted before that.Mine was at 13,200.Had it raised to 14,200.It stops at 14,2.That's nicely over 200 mph.I was doing 203 at 13,8.Now that I've reinstalled the PCV with stage 2 tuning,it'll be interesting to see where she tops out at now(still 14,2).Gonna have ta wait for next year though.Too much ice around now.Nice to have the display MPH keep going past 186 as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yes,nice with the speedo.Some chap on YouTube has 407kph showing on an aftermarket digital display on his h2.
Surely a record?

·
Registered
277 Posts
It's an assumption granted, but based on the facts that they've used the sx dash for next year but have gone to the trouble of a new +2k rev counter and given the fact you can redline a current stock h2 it follows next years will do the same.I can't imagine the needle is going to suddenly stop at 12k, two short of the red line. Peak power is 500 later too.
It could be for decoration I suppose,not.
Well see in the fullness of time.
Just to clarify, 2015-18 H2s gauges had a "visual redline" 14K with the highest number on the tach being 16K. The new digital cluster is just a recreation of the previous analog tach, there's no reason to think it has a higher redline just due to the gauge cluster.

What I think is far more likely is the new bits on the 2019 let Kawasaki derestrict the electronic throttle while still passing Euro4. Essentially, 2019 H2s are the equivalent of a flashed pre-19 H2.

Once they actually get in people's hands we can know for sure, but a 30ish hp gain is right around what I'd expect a derestricted H2 to gain without touching the rev limit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the clarification.
I stand corrected.
Apologies for any confusion caused.

Yes, thirty horses extra next year and given its good for 300, more to come in the not too distant future hopefully.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yes,nice with the speedo.Some chap on YouTube has 407kph showing on an aftermarket digital display on his h2.
Surely a record?
Pretty sure this is tongue in cheek but with respect and for all those who believe these claims, a record is only a record if it's been properly ratified. All the correct officials and timekeepers have to oversee it and "record" it with properly calibrated and certified speed traps and timing equipment.

Our club, Straightliners, runs Top Speed Tuesdays for test and tune. Even if you set a new top speed in your class on one of these days it wouldn't be a record. These can only be set at Records Meetings which have the correct officials there.

As for the speedo readings mentioned, they are always optimistic. The speedo itself over-reads by design and there's also slippage to account for, more so at very high speeds. So a speedo reading could NEVER be a record, it can be several percent out. Also I very much doubt an H2 or H2R could get anywhere near 250 mph (407 kph) as this would need over 500 bhp, not to mention more efficient aerodynamics.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Surely a record?
Pretty sure this is tongue in cheek but with respect and for all those who believe these claims, a record is only a record if it's been properly ratified. All the correct officials and timekeepers have to oversee it and "record" it with properly calibrated and certified speed traps and timing equipment.

Our club, Straightliners, runs Top Speed Tuesdays for test and tune. Even if you set a new top speed in your class on one of these days it wouldn't be a record. These can only be set at Records Meetings which have the correct officials there.

As for the speedo readings mentioned, they are always optimistic. The speedo itself over-reads by design and there's also slippage to account for, more so at very high speeds. So a speedo reading could NEVER be a record, it can be several percent out. Also I very much doubt an H2 or H2R could get anywhere near 250 mph (407 kph) as this would need over 500 bhp, not to mention more efficient aerodynamics.
BobC is speaking the truth! Even when I changed my gearing on my GSX-R1000 +2 front, and -4 in the rear my speedo was still 2mph optimistic with wheelspin.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I use the term loosely.

I remember the chap who scorched over the Bosphorus at an indicated 400 and this was a few kph more, that is all.

Given that it's clearly some Johnny having a blast on a main road somewhere with all and sundry looking on, it was obvious to me it was unlikely to be any organizations official record attempt..

It's a YouTube record!

No offence meant to any
bona fide record holders.

I suppose if one's going to attempt these speeds then have it accurately ratified for posterity at least.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I use the term loosely.

I remember the chap who scorched over the Bosphorus at an indicated 400 and this was a few kph more, that is all.

Given that it's clearly some Johnny having a blast on a main road somewhere with all and sundry looking on, it was obvious to me it was unlikely to be any organizations official record attempt..

It's a YouTube record!

No offence meant to any
bona fide record holders.

I suppose if one's going to attempt these speeds then have it accurately ratified for posterity at least.
That ride across the Bosphorous being claimed as a record on the strength of a speedo reading has been debated at length on here and elsewhere. Briefly, it's an insult to all the riders and officials who are in the business of setting records and doing it correctly so that a records set around the world can be fairly compared.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can imagine.

As matter of interest,some gps speed apps show speed to two decimal places as calculated by double digits worth of satellites.
How do those readings compare with the equipment used at organised events?
Excuse my ignorance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts