Ninja H2 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have put little more milage on my beast ( have around 500kms). I been running it up in the revs a bit more in each gear now (to around 8 k). I spoke to my H2 mechanic and he agrees that I should be starting to run the revs up a bit but still stay conservative and well under redline. He told me about two H2s in his care that had completely contrary run ins. One as per Kawasaki recommendations and the other running in hard. Surprisingly he said the hard run in H2 had 10 more horsepower! When I asked him is there a chance that bike just was a better built and assembled motor he agreed it was possible, but didn't know for sure. He advised me just run my bike in an easy to moderate way and to ride it like any normal sports bike but not anywhere near redline making sure not to lag the motor and definitely waiting for proper warm up. Finished saying that a balanced thinking of running in is safe, and not over the top was his advice.
So.... in saying all that I didn't learn that much, as to me all was pretty obvious information but have allowed my traditional thinking to expand a bit and run my bike in a little "harder".

Ok now something I have noticed on my bike is when in neutral and selecting first gear it creates a real clunky sound and jolt. I am not used to this, I had two Hayabusa before this and anyone that knows Suzuki knows they have the sweetest gearboxes around. I can live with it, but no matter how easy I have tried to select first it sounds like going into first on a Harley! No disrespect to Harley riders. Does everyone have the same thing going on? When I am going back down from the higher gears back to first it's ok, it's only when in neutral and selecting first at a full stop ( like at a set of lights) that this occurs)...

Lastly, I notice now that I am getting used to the power and accelerating more, sometimes at lower revs as it accelerates (at lower rpm) there is like a flutter or lag in power but then suddenly comes on strong - is this normal? It's almost like there is lag then the power comes on with a vengeance ( it's actually a cool feeling) but is it normal or something that's not right?
As I am getting used to its handling I am enjoying the bike much more each time, I have found the rear suspension a little soft and have upped the preload to a moderate setting as I found the sag on STD settings a little too much ( in fact the wheel hit the bottom of my number plate surround and smashed the crap out of it! I was working a corner reasonably hard at that time but didn't expect so much travel at that setting. The plate surround was a good 4.5" above the rear wheel.ni believe the bike to have around 5 " inches of travel so I must have used quite a lot of travel to hit the plate. Today after adjusting the preload and going up few clicks on my low speed compression I found the bike turning in a little better and more compliant ( and it didn't hit the plate again) I am around 95 kgs (210lbs) and 6ft tall). Anyone care to comment about their suspension set up?

Hope you have a very Merry Christmas! Thanks again for all the comments on my previous posts - much appreciated!
Cheers
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey guys I have put little more milage on my beast ( have around 500kms). I been running it up in the revs a bit more in each gear now (to around 8 k). I spoke to my H2 mechanic and he agrees that I should be starting to run the revs up a bit but still stay conservative and well under redline. He told me about two H2s in his care that had completely contrary run ins. One as per Kawasaki recommendations and the other running in hard. Surprisingly he said the hard run in H2 had 10 more horsepower! When I asked him is there a chance that bike just was a better built and assembled motor he agreed it was possible, but didn't know for sure. He advised me just run my bike in an easy to moderate way and to ride it like any normal sports bike but not anywhere near redline making sure not to lag the motor and definitely waiting for proper warm up. Finished saying that a balanced thinking of running in is safe, and not over the top was his advice.
So.... in saying all that I didn't learn that much, as to me all was pretty obvious information but have allowed my traditional thinking to expand a bit and run my bike in a little "harder".

Ok now something I have noticed on my bike is when in neutral and selecting first gear it creates a real clunky sound and jolt. I am not used to this, I had two Hayabusa before this and anyone that knows Suzuki knows they have the sweetest gearboxes around. I can live with it, but no matter how easy I have tried to select first it sounds like going into first on a Harley! No disrespect to Harley riders. Does everyone have the same thing going on? When I am going back down from the higher gears back to first it's ok, it's only when in neutral and selecting first at a full stop ( like at a set of lights) that this occurs)...

Lastly, I notice now that I am getting used to the power and accelerating more, sometimes at lower revs as it accelerates (at lower rpm) there is like a flutter or lag in power but then suddenly comes on strong - is this normal? It's almost like there is lag then the power comes on with a vengeance ( it's actually a cool feeling) but is it normal or something that's not right?
As I am getting used to its handling I am enjoying the bike much more each time, I have found the rear suspension a little soft and have upped the preload to a moderate setting as I found the sag on STD settings a little too much ( in fact the wheel hit the bottom of my number plate surround and smashed the crap out of it! I was working a corner reasonably hard at that time but didn't expect so much travel at that setting. The plate surround was a good 4.5" above the rear wheel.ni believe the bike to have around 5 " inches of travel so I must have used quite a lot of travel to hit the plate. Today after adjusting the preload and going up few clicks on my low speed compression I found the bike turning in a little better and more compliant ( and it didn't hit the plate again) I am around 95 kgs (210lbs) and 6ft tall). Anyone care to comment about their suspension set up?

Hope you have a very Merry Christmas! Thanks again for all the comments on my previous posts - much appreciated!
Cheers
Jeffro ;)
Hi Jeffro. I would say they are a little clunky when cold and knocking it into gear from neutral. I think once all warmed up it smooth and generally quite. As for the lag it probably down to restriction and emissions. I never noticed it on mine but to be fair had not done many miles before had ECU reflashed. I know now it pulls like POW when I open the throttle. You been using the quickshifter. Also check your traction control in may be intervening without you even realising.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Reference to suspension setup. I am 6'2" and around 350lbs. I haven't touched the suspension yet and it feels pretty good. I should probably stiffen the back a little but next riding season I'll push it a bit and have a feel what needs doing. That's really what you need to do. Trial and error.

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Agree w/ Nickjc001, can't remember if it's only when my bike is cold but think there is a clunk from N to 1st like my Harley's, lol! It's been a few weeks since I've ridden her because of the weather & it feels like years. All I can do now to cope with this feeling is to spend money on riding do dads & gear that I wont use till March!

As far as the surge, it's probably just because you're breaking it in & using lower rpms than normally, so the surge could just be the super charger spinning up/boost. The bike also runs much better across the rev band once derestricted. But you haven't gotten a sense yet of what this bike is, it's all about what happens after 8k rpm, where the bike goes from feeling like other liter bikes to this:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey you guys very surprised no one else commenting on at least their suspension settings? After mentioning my surprise at the H2 suspension STD settings and how it had so much rear movement (and doing something about it) I thought would hear more about set ups? I am nowhere near as big as some you guys, so how is your suspension set up? Compliant? Comfortable? Any modifications or revalving?
Take it easy and don't be shy write something happy or not with H2 suspension?

While I am at it.....Appears to me lots emphasis on this site is outright power rather then the what riding is really about and that is handling with a balanced power output. I have to say after owning many many bikes powerful and not so powerful, my 2002 Aprilia RS250 with around 50hp but the best handling bike under the sun was one best experiences in my biking life. Learning to use gears again with such a narrow powerband and to ride through corners on probably the best handling registered bike was Pure fun! I learnt a step back sometimes teaches or I should say reteaches some of the basics, which is very refreshing and prepares you for even bigger and "better" bikes that we talk about here. Even now you see guys with powerful bikes (including h2s) that have no idea how to corner because so much effort seems to be in its power rather than learning the craft of riding...oh such a shame ....
Anyway enough waffling let's here what you think?
Cheers and happy new year in advance from sunny but very hot Australia
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey you guys very surprised no one else commenting on at least their suspension settings? After mentioning my surprise at the H2 suspension STD settings and how it had so much rear movement (and doing something about it) I thought would hear more about set ups? I am nowhere near as big as some you guys, so how is your suspension set up? Compliant? Comfortable? Any modifications or revalving?
Take it easy and don't be shy write something happy or not with H2 suspension?

While I am at it.....Appears to me lots emphasis on this site is outright power rather then the what riding is really about and that is handling with a balanced power output. I have to say after owning many many bikes powerful and not so powerful, my 2002 Aprilia RS250 with around 50hp but the best handling bike under the sun was one best experiences in my biking life. Learning to use gears again with such a narrow powerband and to ride through corners on probably the best handling registered bike was Pure fun! I learnt a step back sometimes teaches or I should say reteaches some of the basics, which is very refreshing and prepares you for even bigger and "better" bikes that we talk about here. Even now you see guys with powerful bikes (including h2s) that have no idea how to corner because so much effort seems to be in its power rather than learning the craft of riding...oh such a shame ....
Anyway enough waffling let's here what you think?
Cheers and happy new year in advance from sunny but very hot Australia
Jeffro ;)
I agree with you about the RS 250 , just about the perfect little bike with the most confidence inspiring chassis i have ever owned . When I crashed mine at Snetterton ( UK race track ) I was so flat to the ground that it took me a moment to realise I was sliding but now without the bike.
Did you see the video posted up on this site with the H2 and the Kawasaki Z 300 ? It was a very good illustration of David and Goliath with the 300 snapping at the H2s heels . Few people can exploit the full power of even the standard H2 on the track but almost anyone can enjoy the mad acceleration and that was the bikes design brief from the start , for me it's horses for courses and although the H2 handles remarkably for its weight it's no track bike so mine is only used for really what it's designed for , that is too out accelerating anything i meet on the road .

I think your bike was odd in being so soft from the factory and maybe you were the only owner to experience this hence the lack of comments , mine was set very hard and I backed off the rear shock a little to stop it jolting my spine on UK roads , I'm now over 13 stone due to over consumption of turkey and trimmings !

·
Premium Member
428 Posts

Cheers
Jeffro ;)
Jeffro,

Here is a video that 650Ib posted on my thoughts about break-in:

As far as the 'clunk' - Motor oil viscosity and type is typically the culprit here. Thicker and organic (break-in) oils tend to allow the drive and driven clutch plates to stick together. Kawi 10-30 full synthetic is a great, readily available choice.

Throttle response: It's terrible stock. 2016 is a bit better than 2015 - still terrible. Welcome to a modern, high-horsepower EPA and Euro 3 compliant machine.

Suspension: strange. Our bikes are VERY tight from the factory. I'm 200 lbs. and I end up removing spring preload, compression and rebound from the front and rear to keep the bikes from beating us to death and losing traction on the street.

Hope this helps,

Brock
Brocks Performance

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
I've found the (stock) suspension on this bike to be harsh and unyielding for street riding on the bumpy, frost-heaved back roads around here. I think the spring rates are OK or possibly soft-ish, but there is too much high-speed compression damping, because that is usually what beats you up on choppy pavement.

This wouldn't be the first time that Kawasaki has built a bike with excessive high-speed compression damping. Maybe it's needed to control suspension movement on glass-smooth racetracks but it's harsh here. I backed off some of the adjustments and it's better, but a proper fix would require revalved internals, and I'm not quite prepared to do that yet.

I've had 90,000 km to tweak the suspension on my '04 ZX10R (and wear has probably taken some of the harshness out of it), and it's comfortable, compliant, and well-behaved for normal backroads street-riding conditions. Love that bike ... the H2 doesn't substitute for it!

·
Registered
288 Posts
In regards to suspension it was beating me to death on standard settings so I thought I would back everything off ,it was difficult considering the instructions in manual were ass about face.When I did Kawasaki ride day at phillip island some one from Kawasaki set it and now its great.Whilst standing still and putting pressure in the rear it does seem to be realy soft but on the road it filters all the bumps ,well most and the bike doesn't squirm under power in the twisties either.I would love to tell you the settings but im not touching them as there just right and knowing me I would screw it up putting them back to where they are now. I am not heavy 82 Kilos its a case of keep trying until you get it where it suits you I was very unhappy for a while and considered chucking out the rear and at point really didn't want to ride the bike on bumpy roads but now its all good.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey nice surprise to have you talking about your bikes, thanks for that......

Supercharged,
Thanks for your reply and agree entirely the H2 is no track bike and as we all know it was never intended to be. I would have to disagree about what the bike is about though... to me the bike had to be more than just one fastest bikes on the planet. My feelings are it's the concept of forced induction and in this case a engineering marvel how they did it. It's about the finish, paintwork, the package the looks and the feeling and excitement of the ride! This package put together AND being the fastest bike is to me what the H2 is all about.
My suspension is now fine, after adding more rear preload few tweaks on the low speed compression I can say it's nicely set up for my riding style and weight. Suppose we are lucky here, the roads in general ( where I ride anyway) are smooth and flowing with a reasonably good surface. I am sure as I get more used to the bike I may change suspension here and there but now it's not " beating me up" or soft and wallowing....like before my adjustment....

Brock,
Hi mate thanks for the input and link. To be honest not really a fan of your break in procedures ( I did mention this elsewhere recently regarding break in). I am a little conservative perhaps and I still maintain that with regards to the break in procedure and it's results, I still say .....who's to say this engine wouldn't have got the same horsepower running in on the road ( but taking a lot longer of course)?? As for me after watching your link in the past I have questioned my conservative approach, and in a balanced way I am now qrevving my new engine a bit more ( well to about 8-9k) now instead of the lower recommended rev limits. I have 600kms on my bike now, and happy with how it feels and how I am running it in.
Thankyou for the advice about the clunky first gear selection. I hadn't thought that. As my bike is brand new and yet to get its first service I will wait and see how it selects first gear after putting in Motul 7100 after that first service.....Once again great hear your advice Thankyou for that....

Malh2,
Thanks for the info mate, wasn't really looking to know your settings anyway, as I think to a degree each bike is a little different even with the same componentry. I think with my adjustments the suspension is much better and reasonably compliant now. As for your comments don't be afraid to check your settings and record them. Your setup that someone else has done for you might be good, but it's not a bad idea to check both forks have exactly same clicks out or in or whatever, then record it. I did. From the shop I went home and counted every suspension setting to make sure every part that suspension was at least the same, recorded it. Then when I wanted to change at least I had confidence in the starting point bring correct. Set and forget to me isn't learning. If you never try and change the settings you really don't know what's good or not. It's all about trial and error, and because you have recorded everything, you can always go back to the starting point. And if you ever need to help another rider you just look up your records and know where your at. Not trying to give anyone lessons here just something I learned along the way...
Oh but Thankyou for your input!

Happy new year in advance to all!
Regards
Jeffro ;) (Downunder)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey nice surprise to have you talking about your bikes, thanks for that......

Supercharged,
Thanks for your reply and agree entirely the H2 is no track bike and as we all know it was never intended to be. I would have to disagree about what the bike is about though... to me the bike had to be more than just one fastest bikes on the planet. My feelings are it's the concept of forced induction and in this case a engineering marvel how they did it. It's about the finish, paintwork, the package the looks and the feeling and excitement of the ride! This package put together AND being the fastest bike is to me what the H2 is all about.
My suspension is now fine, after adding more rear preload few tweaks on the low speed compression I can say it's nicely set up for my riding style and weight. Suppose we are lucky here, the roads in general ( where I ride anyway) are smooth and flowing with a reasonably good surface. I am sure as I get more used to the bike I may change suspension here and there but now it's not " beating me up" or soft and wallowing....like before my adjustment....

I was not intentionally doing the H2 a disservice and saying the bike was only about acceleration , yes it is everything you mention and more , that's how Kawasaki managed to entice me into blowing my entire windfall plus extra to be the very proud owner of the most exciting bike produced in years .

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
While I am at it.....Appears to me lots emphasis on this site is outright power rather then the what riding is really about and that is handling with a balanced power output. I have to say after owning many many bikes powerful and not so powerful, my 2002 Aprilia RS250 with around 50hp but the best handling bike under the sun was one best experiences in my biking life. Learning to use gears again with such a narrow powerband and to ride through corners on probably the best handling registered bike was Pure fun!
My sweet spot is a 1989 Yamaha FZR400 that I've owned since 1996. It is my vintage roadrace bike (which wasn't vintage when I bought it). Now has Dymag 17" wheels front and rear with Bridgestone slicks, Braketech cast iron brake rotors, Fox shock, reworked fork internals, minor cylinder head work. It's not the fastest thing out there but this is the bike that reads my mind. I've ridden other bikes on the racetrack but this is the one that feels like home.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Brock,
Hi mate thanks for the input and link. To be honest not really a fan of your break in procedures ( I did mention this elsewhere recently regarding break in). I am a little conservative perhaps and I still maintain that with regards to the break in procedure and it's results, I still say .....who's to say this engine wouldn't have got the same horsepower running in on the road ( but taking a lot longer of course)?? As for me after watching your link in the past I have questioned my conservative approach, and in a balanced way I am now qrevving my new engine a bit more ( well to about 8-9k) now instead of the lower recommended rev limits. I have 600kms on my bike now, and happy with how it feels and how I am running it in.
Thankyou for the advice about the clunky first gear selection. I hadn't thought that. As my bike is brand new and yet to get its first service I will wait and see how it selects first gear after putting in Motul 7100 after that first service.....Once again great hear your advice Thankyou for that....

Jeffro ;) (Downunder)
Jeffro, it's all good. It's a very disputed subject and will be forever. My advice comes from over to 35 years of engine building experience, 25 of that with dyno access - other builders do it differently. I tell some guys this: Some of my fastest, longest living engines were (lovingly) broken-in... in the waterbox :D

You are 100% correct on the Suzuki tranny's being the gold standard. I don't believe the oil change will get you to that level of smoothness, but it should provide some relief.

Brock
Brocks Performance

ps. This video ruffles feathers also. It can't do anything for a bike that doesn't have proper ring seal, but it shows how to help cure bikes that suffer from 'geezer' riding and just plain filth found in today's engines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts