Ninja H2 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just have a general motorcycle question since my brother brought this up. When do we change the spark plug on our bikes? Every year? After a certain number of kilometers? I have no idea where my little manual booklet went so I'm wondering if someone can give me a general estimate.

Thank you!

·
Registered
573 Posts
With unleaded fuel and a quality ignition, thirty thousand miles is realistic. Once you start modifying the bike, all bets are off. It is a pain in the butt to get to the center plugs, so I'm sure it will be tempting to wait until 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is stock with no modifications so I guess I'll change it out when I've almost hit 30,000 miles.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Well...you're talking about your 300...yes?Go online and find the owners manual there...somewhere.It should give that spec in there.A service manual will say it also.I would take a guess for your Ninja....20K.At least.The manual might say 7500 miles.I wouldn't necessarily go by that.If you're conservative in your riding.And quality unleaded 91 octane.

I've ridden my 14's up to 25K before replacing...they looked fine actually.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I ran the plugs in my ZX14 for 20,000 miles the first time then 10k for the next few changes. On my ZX10R the plugs actually fouled at 7,000 miles. So I am a big fan of doing them early in the off season.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the help STRADALE! Looks like I'm almost due for a change. Sitting at around 6000 right now and yes, it's for my 300.

~Kay

·
Registered
331 Posts
Do a cross reference for the OEM replacement in Iridium...

Those are laser welded iridium plugs and will go at least 30,000 no problem and probably double that. My F150 had OEM Iridium plugs I changed at 80K cause i didn't believe the 100K specified and they still looked good. Iridium is massively superior to your dads old Champions.

H2 service manual doesn't spec a replacement interval but just a .8-.9 mm gap and inspect for cracks and flaws. A worn plug you can see under magnifying glass the electrode is rounded from heat and gap is too large with a guage. Should also appear a nice brown or tan color on the insulator.

If you foul plugs something is wrong. Too rich or burning oil ...or a 2 stroke :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts