Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep 5,500 ks getting my 3rd rear tyre and noticed sideways movement in rear wheel.Bearings stuffed.ALL RIDERS PLEASE CHECK HUB TORQUE. yours may have worked loose. signs of rust on shaft and bearing.

·
Registered
77 Posts
hi direct from the factory, found the rear bearing to be loos at about 1000km when doing a track day.. dealer and kawasaki japan said is normal.. go figure..it has something to do with the needle bearing when old. It needs movement, however I found th same movement when hot.. this worried me , and I posed on this site with not too much luck at the time. Personally speaking I feel this is a problem

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The amount of movement on my rear wheel was certainly not normal,especially the amount of thrust that goes through the rear of this bike under acceleration on a corner this would certainly cause instability.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yep 5,500 ks getting my 3rd rear tyre and noticed sideways movement in rear wheel.Bearings stuffed.ALL RIDERS PLEASE CHECK HUB TORQUE. yours may have worked loose. signs of rust on shaft and bearing.
Mine is ok. Can I ask, no pressure washing of the bike involved here?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No way would I pressure wash this bike,bucket,microfiber mit and shammy dry with microfiber wipe down with either plexus or dr beasleys finisher.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a couple of other single sided swing arm bikes and this does not happen. as for all my bikes I do pressure wash them, no issue there, that said this is mechanical, so I believe its either a recall still to happen, but do not feel that there should be this amount of play in the rear wheel.

So if you want to check this lift the bike on the side stand and get a strong mate to wiggle your rear when for play. I would love to know how many people have this issue

·
Registered
331 Posts
The service manual has runout 1mm as service limit. over that and it is warranty. normal is .3-.5mm

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
It seems odd that an axle/bearing would move at all.Never heard of that.Unless a bearing was damaged.It's got bearings on both ends,yes?So how could it move in those bearings?I guess I'm asking...is the bearing moving,or the axle?(or both)VERY strange sounding to me.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I'll say the manual says for the chain adjustment,to make sure there's no gap between the adjuster ring and the hub when retorqueing.Could this possibly be what some are saying is 'bearing play"???Movement maybe?IDK.Just can't seem to picture a bearing moving in it's race and all in the hub.I can't imagine why an axle would be allowed to move,or a bearing.Sounds pretty risky wearwise.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
"hi direct from the factory, found the rear bearing to be loos at about 1000km when doing a track day.. dealer and kawasaki japan said is normal.. go figure..it has something to do with the needle bearing when old. It needs movement, however I found the same movement when hot.. this worried me , and I posed on this site with not too much luck at the time. Personally speaking I feel this is a problem"

This IS a problem.I just looked in the service manual.There is NOT supposed to be any play or movement in the bearings.Your info about 'this is normal' is TOTALLY incorrect and dangerous if not addressed.If you can actually move the wheel on the hub...something's wrong.There should be NO play at all from bearings or axle.

I'm surprised that these guys that told you that...told you that.Besides...if this really IS an issue with these new bikes...the more concerns voiced to Kawasaki the better.

"it has something to do with the needle bearing when old. It needs movement"...BS.If it's moving...it's shot.Replace it...that's what I would do anyway.The manual says...REPLACE.Not 'Ride,it's normal'....Service Manual...'final drive' chapter,rear wheel bearing inspection.

Sounds like someone doesn't want to do the work of checking/replacing your new bike bearings.Since you could wind up getting killed if it REALLY went out,I'd think they'd be all over this.

Can you describe exactly HOW it's moving?Axial or 'up and down' at either or both ends of the axle.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
"The service manual has runout 1mm as service limit. over that and it is warranty. normal is .3-.5mm"...this measurement is NOT the bearings movements.It's the RIM runout.Totally different.

The wheel/axle/bearing assembly should NOT be moving in any direction.If it is...for your safety...get it corrected.Refuse ANY statements from ANYONE that 'this is normal'.

If I'm off base here about this...PLEASE..someone tell me.I've never heard of bearing play being okay.(other than a factory tiny tolerance that really can't be felt).

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you grab the wheel it moves sideways by quite a lot,dealer says its not right has contacted Kawasaki and I was told 2 weeks for parts as they have to come from japan.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Just to be on the safe side..I just went out and checked mine up on my Heidl stand.It was fine.Thanks for the heads up with this...I'll keep an eye on mine.Sorry to hear this is going on with yours.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Parts have arrived Kawasaki are replacing both bearings as well as hub shaft,after it has been done shop wants me to ride it for 15 minutes to see if it all settles correctly and the problem has been fixed.Normally they said they ride the bike but being a H2 they and I rather I be the only one to ride it,happy with the spped this was attended to considering the parts had to come from japanas Kawasaki Australia didn't have any stock of these items.So new front tyre going on so second front and third rear after 5500ks.

·
Registered
406 Posts
This may sound obvious, but has anyone with a Brock's stage 1,2 kit had similar problems ? I imagine it would be much worse with the extra HP/torque.

Rhody...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Parts have arrived Kawasaki are replacing both bearings as well as hub shaft,after it has been done shop wants me to ride it for 15 minutes to see if it all settles correctly and the problem has been fixed.Normally they said they ride the bike but being a H2 they and I rather I be the only one to ride it,happy with the spped this was attended to considering the parts had to come from japanas Kawasaki Australia didn't have any stock of these items.So new front tyre going on so second front and third rear after 5500ks.
2 tyre changes already.
Did you see them balance your wheel after each tyre change?
Did you see them torque your wheel to specs after each tyre change?
Not doing these 2 simple things can have a adverse affect on your hub,shaft and bearings.
My guess is you go to Peter Stevens to get your work done.I hope you go to the Ringwood branch.
I'm not familiar with them but I would not take a 2 stroke lawn mower for a plug change to the city branch.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Tyres were worn out,yes they were balanced and nope work done at Evolution motorcycles while I watched.So bearings replaced with new shaft and now I am informed that my supercharger is out of tolerance so it will be replaced.So third reat tyre fitted and second front tyre,this bike only does mountain roads so wear on tyres is pretty savage .

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
SC shot?WOW.That's not good.3700 miles...any idea what caused this?What are they gonna do with the SC?Give you your parts back(I hope).

You DID see the mech inspect this,right?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Its not shot or not working but it is outside the tolerance accepted for the supercharger ,didnt see the inspection from mechanic and i doubt they will give me the old one im sure that will go back to japan for inspection.There was nothing out of the blue to cause this no trackdays just road riding,its good they picked it up shows they are doing all the inspections properly otherwise this may have been missed.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts