Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, last week took my H2 out for a ride, coming home the fuel light came on. I thought i would make it, but unfortunately did not, as I ran out of gas. I filled up using a jerry can, the bike started for a minute, and then cut off. Now I walked it home because I was not far, but the bike won't start. It cranks, but no starting. I tried a couple of times, now showing the Umbrella, Check engine, KLCM off. Any help? I am scheduled to take it in next week. I tried cycling the ignition by letting the fuel pump run, turning the bike on and off but nothing. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Have you checked your battery voltage?I'm wondering IF your fuel pump is cavitating.I know you said it fired up,then died.That could be residual fuel in the line.Maybe remove your fuel hose from the rail and see if she's pumping while cranking?

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Hey guys, last week took my H2 out for a ride, coming home the fuel light came on. I thought i would make it, but unfortunately did not, as I ran out of gas. I filled up using a jerry can, the bike started for a minute, and then cut off. Now I walked it home because I was not far, but the bike won't start. It cranks, but no starting. I tried a couple of times, now showing the Umbrella, Check engine, KLCM off. Any help? I am scheduled to take it in next week. I tried cycling the ignition by letting the fuel pump run, turning the bike on and off but nothing. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!
Any chance you used old/bad gas on your refill?

Brock
Brocks Performance

·
Registered
702 Posts
I mean no disrespect with what I'm about to ask....... because it happened to me about 15 years ago.

Did you accidentally fill your gas tank up with Diesel? It happens bro.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
........... now showing the Umbrella.........
I guess we all know that's the rain mode but it shouldn't prevent the bike from starting.

Possible air-lock in the fuel line? Does the fuel pump operate when the ignition's on and does it sound normal?

·
Registered
238 Posts
now showing the Umbrella, Check engine, KLCM off. Any help?
(I see lots of posts here talking about the flashing umbrella, not many saying to get the codes, I expect this will help others in the future too)

That flashing mess on the dash is one of the limp modes but you haven't given enough information to help yet.

To see what the real error is:

1: Press your left up or down button to cycle through to the odometer on the dash.
2: Now it's showing the odometer, press and hold both the up and down arrows together for 3 or 5 seconds.
3: It will cycle through the error codes, you can also manually press either the up or the down to cycle through them too.

Let us know what the error number(s) are and that will help diagnose it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s at Kawasaki now, they are going to check it out, got a call today saying they will check the fuel apparently it spells funky, let’s see how it goes. I had put it 93 from Sunoco

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update, it turns out there is water in the tank, they are flushing the tank and hopefully doesn’t need to go for injectors, this is the first time this has happened, anyone can tell me the damage in the long run? I’m planning to export the bike and wanna make sure this water in the tank doesn’t cause problems later

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Well,if they're flushing it,there won't be any water in the tank,or the rails once it's ridden.Or run.You might try adding 'heet' to the tank.If you bought that at the Sunoco...I wouldn't go back there.IF you used a filled jerry can that's been sitting out,well...

There won't be any damage.Not from this one time anyway.Good thing ya tried to start it though,instead of putting the bike away.Glad ya got that sorted.Bummer.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Found quick and removed water is no problem, final clean out can be done with ~ 500ml methanol added to a tank of fuel and key cycled and fuel dumped, the methanol mixes with fuel and water(as long as the ratios are not over the top ) , you could even run it with the methanol in tank to flush the injectors , but you dont want to leave it in there long, its corrosive long term on aluminium and wrecks rubbers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well they got the fuel out, but the bike won’t come out of limp mode, so Kawasaki is sending a new ECU. Hopefully that fixes everything but I am not getting my bike back till next week! Sucks. And for anyone asking, it was a new jerry can bought from the gas station and filled with 93. So I am gonna contact the gas station in regards to water showing up. Fingers cross the new ecu brings it to life!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If it's in 'limp mode'..it still should start,right?Battery volts?If those aren't optimal,your motor won't start...no matter how much it turns over.

I'm curious now.Question...1)WHO determined it was the ecu?It's very strange that water,even if it was enough to stop the motor,would create an ecu issue once corrected.I think anyway.Could be wrong.And 2)If 'they' were able to diagnose the ecu on their bench,where is the code(s)that tell them it's not working okay?They didn't share this with you?There's gonna be a code in there showing what triggered a 'limp mode'.I mean,I would think so anyway.They gonna let you keep your ECU...I'd ask for it.You paid for it.It's yours.I'd even go to the point of having it checked by another person that knows what they're doing...not that those guys don't.But I'd sure like to find out EXACTLY what my ECU has recorded.If you didn't ask,they might not even think about giving it to you.
Just sounds odd...water stalling a bike,then fixing,and still not firing.Unless possibly you damaged the fuel pump running out of fuel.

"But the bike is turning over now"
You DID remove the fuel line and checked to see if she was pumping,right?

"they are gonna try a new ECU"...they should only have to clear any codes and reset...right?Surely they can see what's coding.

·
Registered
674 Posts
You know i wonder if it actually ran out of fuel ( i know you were low ) but developed an electrical/ecu fault first , fuel may be distracting from the real issue
Gas stations should check for water often,i worked at a gas station running the adjoining workshop for a few years and we used to dip the tanks with water reactive indicator on a level indicator rod a couple of times a week, back then with the unsealed tanks there was always a little in the bottom from condensation (well below where the pumps picked up from) and you would pump out the bottom when it got to a certain level

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it's in 'limp mode'..it still should start,right?Battery volts?If those aren't optimal,your motor won't start...no matter how much it turns over.

I'm curious now.Question...1)WHO determined it was the ecu?It's very strange that water,even if it was enough to stop the motor,would create an ecu issue once corrected.I think anyway.Could be wrong.And 2)If 'they' were able to diagnose the ecu on their bench,where is the code(s)that tell them it's not working okay?They didn't share this with you?There's gonna be a code in there showing what triggered a 'limp mode'.I mean,I would think so anyway.They gonna let you keep your ECU...I'd ask for it.You paid for it.It's yours.I'd even go to the point of having it checked by another person that knows what they're doing...not that those guys don't.But I'd sure like to find out EXACTLY what my ECU has recorded.If you didn't ask,they might not even think about giving it to you.
Just sounds odd...water stalling a bike,then fixing,and still not firing.Unless possibly you damaged the fuel pump running out of fuel.

"But the bike is turning over now"
You DID remove the fuel line and checked to see if she was pumping,right?

"they are gonna try a new ECU"...they should only have to clear any codes and reset...right?Surely they can see what's coding.

Apparently it is a Kawasaki Dealership and the called a Kawasaki head tech, I will find out the code on Monday, as for thanks giving they are closed, will post up. Kawasaki tech recommended the ECU under warranty

1 - 20 of 27 Posts