Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I’ve started to unleash the beast. A LOT of photos below as well as video from the dyno runs.
We ran her bone stock on the dyno and she made 202 rwhp and 96.9 torque. 2nd run on the dyno after mods she made 240 rwhp and 101 torque.

The red line is the 1st dyno run, blue line 2nd run after mods. Top 2 lines are Max Power, bottom 2 lines measure Torque. You can see the real gains came from 11,000 – 13,000 rpms.

Here’s the short 2 min. video of the 2 dyno runs:

Rear tire after the dyno run..

My guy thinks he can get another 30hp out of the ECU on another dyno run but I haven’t decided yet if I want it.
Here’s the process of the build, I stripped her down for my mechanic to install the pipe, power commander, and FlashTune.

Akrapovic full-system titanium headers and carbon fiber muffler. I chose this pipe because it much quieter with no loss in HP

This pipe comes with a baffle insert. We removed it and did the tune without it, but it is nice to have incase I want to do a trackday at Laguna Seca where they have db restrictions.

Replaced the locking gas cap with a LightTech race cap

Installed SBS race pads (couldn’t believe how expensive this are)

Dropped a few pounds under the seat..

Carbon fiber wheels, did a special order to get the satin finish. Stock wheels being stored in a box in mint condition

Dunlop GPAs for the new rims

D.I.D. gold chain installed

Yosh fender eliminator installed

I've taken her on 2 hard test rides as we are dialing in the mapping, and OMG the power is insane.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Nice, i live in U.K. So already got akra slip on. I would have upgraded to full akra but apparently the slip on is different so would have to buy the whole thing. Oh well. How do you like the sound? Did your tuner say how he could get another 30hp? Where in the rev range?

·
Registered
393 Posts
nice vid and good write up.

cheers for sharing

Reactions: racer172

·
Registered
702 Posts
Please post the graph with your AFR.

Very nice indeed!

Unless it's dead in the middle of winter, I'm a little suspect of any dyno that shows a 200hp H2 in stock trim. Most dynos I see that read accurate show 184-189 horsepower at the wheel. Either way, 40HP in gains is sweet.

Great job!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did your tuner say how he could get another 30hp? Where in the rev range?
Not sure. He said he was sure he could get 30 more out of the ECU. I asked why he didn't when he did the dyno tune and his reply was that he was being conservative, didn't want to damage the motor. I didn't ask any further questions on that topic.

Please post the graph with your AFR. Most dynos I see that read accurate show 184-189 horsepower at the wheel. Either way, 40HP in gains is sweet.
Turbo I don't know what AFR stands for, let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.
not sure what to say on the stock dyno, I've never seen or heard numbers on that before. Only thing I can compare to is my zx10 made 187 on this same dyno, no bikes hang with my zx10 out here in the runs we do, and my stock H2 was WAY faster on the same roads. There's a stretch of canyon road that we all do a speed run on our Sunday ride and I always carry a GPS with me for max speed reading. The highest I'e ever gotten on the zx10 was 182, but it's usually 179. The H2 has been 189 and 190 was my highest read, I've posted that GPS pic up here before. Anyway as far as I know this dyno is pretty accurate, it's from Lee's Cycle here in San Diego, formally owned by Jeremy Toye, this dyno room has put out a LOT of race bikes over the years. Regardless of the numbers the bike is scary fast! :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Not sure. He said he was sure he could get 30 more out of the ECU. I asked why he didn't when he did the dyno tune and his reply was that he was being conservative, didn't want to damage the motor. I didn't ask any further questions on that topic.

Your numbers are stout. Timing and fueling changes might net you another 10hp assuming that he has you tuned to the rich side. 30HP more from your current numbers seems a tad optimistic but optimism is good. ;-) Your current results are consistent with what everyone else is getting with a flash and a full system.

Turbo I don't know what AFR stands for, let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.
not sure what to say on the stock dyno, I've never seen or heard numbers on that before. Only thing I can compare to is my zx10 made 187 on this same dyno, no bikes hang with my zx10 out here in the runs we do, and my stock H2 was WAY faster on the same roads. There's a stretch of canyon road that we all do a speed run on our Sunday ride and I always carry a GPS with me for max speed reading. The highest I'e ever gotten on the zx10 was 182, but it's usually 179. The H2 has been 189 and 190 was my highest read, I've posted that GPS pic up here before. Anyway as far as I know this dyno is pretty accurate, it's from Lee's Cycle here in San Diego, formally owned by Jeremy Toye, this dyno room has put out a LOT of race bikes over the years. Regardless of the numbers the bike is scary fast! :)

Fair Play. I was referring to the Air Fuel Ratio. I'd like to see where he kept it at. 12.0; 12.5; 13.0 etc.

Oh and uh, Jeremy Toye is FAST with a capital F!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeremy Toye is FAST with a capital F!
I'll check on that AFR and get back to you.
here's a couple of pics of Jeremy working with me at the track

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do you like the sound?
I missed this question on the first pass... I love it, nice respectable throaty sound, yet it's actually pretty quiet, more quiet than my Yosh on my zx10. It's just right for me cause as hard-n-fast as I run in the canyons & mountains I don't want to draw attention to myself by having the loudest bike out there.

Please post the graph with your AFR.
ok Nate I asked my guy and this was his reply via text msg: It's progressive from 13.4 at idle to 12.5 at upper throttle positions.

is that about what you were expecting?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I missed this question on the first pass... I love it, nice respectable throaty sound, yet it's actually pretty quiet, more quiet than my Yosh on my zx10. It's just right for me cause as hard-n-fast as I run in the canyons & mountains I don't want to draw attention to myself by having the loudest bike out there.

ok Nate I asked my guy and this was his reply via text msg: It's progressive from 13.4 at idle to 12.5 at upper throttle positions.

is that about what you were expecting?
That's cool. I just wanted to know where your top end was. 12.5 is what I expected. If he ran it leaner you'd be good for another few HP but you'd be really heating up that combustion chamber. lol Not recommended

......unless he's got some other tricks up his sleeve.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've seen 200rwhp from other bikes so depending on the Dyno & how it's being operated, conditions, etc, it's on the higher end but not unheard off, 184 is the low end, most I've seen fall into the 190-195 area, seen a couple at 197. Chads bike made over 200 rwhp stock on Brocks Dyno as well. (below)

Obviously you decided to leave the stock redline, 30rwhp more on pump fuel? Tough but maybe, think you will pick up 15-20rwhp & see approx. 255/260rwhp (on that Dyno) w/ another 1k rpm ( i.e.: Brocks Stage II reflash) if you decide to have your tuner go that route, that's where the majority of additional gains will be had. Are you running a high flow filter like DNA? That will definitely get you closer (seen 7-9 w/ proper reflash) as well & will help the bike run better but if not would wait till the next tuning session. Very tasteful mods especially since you were going for quiet, love the wheels/black rear hub, etc. Nice job all around, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Obviously you decided to leave the stock redline. Are you running a high flow filter like DNA? T
Thank you for the comps, and great info you added. I'm going to forward your info to my guy doing the build.

Redline - yeah I expected for my rev limiter to be increased but he said he doesn't want me to break my engine. I trust his judgement on that. I had increased my zx10r to 14,200 but that's a different engine.

Yes we put the DNA Race filter in.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Thank you for the comps, and great info you added. I'm going to forward your info to my guy doing the build.

Redline - yeah I expected for my rev limiter to be increased but he said he doesn't want me to break my engine. I trust his judgement on that. I had increased my zx10r to 14,200 but that's a different engine.

Yes we put the DNA Race filter in.

Increasing the stock rev limit (to equal that of the H2R which has the same engine, you know minus the case, cam) is SOP for everyone that's gone w/ Brocks Stage II package & there's a lot of us Stage II SOBs,,,, that run our bikes hard.
1k more rpm is what's coded in the Guhl/Brocks Stage II flash. The way they overbuilt this engine (to handle 1.5-2 times the stress of other liter bike engines) it's probably way safer to go up on the revs on the H2 than just about any other stock engine. It makes a big difference in riding too, doesn't sound like a lot but hitting into not only the additional power but for longer, having those additional revs 3, 4, 5 times while quick shifting running through the gears is huge, fun as ****. Maybe a consideration for you later but looks like you've got a beast already & doing great. Great about the filter. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Stradale, This is only a question, not discounting the additional RPM range at all. It makes sense.

The question I have for you and the guys is...If the H2R has the whacky 60 hour services over 8,000 rpm for exhaust valve changes and connecting rod changes, does it worry you that people wont be doing it to their bikes that are making H2R power and 1k over stock redline ?

Anybody contemplated that ?

NOLA

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Stradale, This is only a question, not discounting the additional RPM range at all. It makes sense.

The question I have for you and the guys is...If the H2R has the whacky 60 hour services over 8,000 rpm for exhaust valve changes and connecting rod changes, does it worry you that people wont be doing it to their bikes that are making H2R power and 1k over stock redline ?

Anybody contemplated that ?

NOLA
Think it's a valid point. Kawi has a recommended service interval for a bike (H2R) that is riden only at the track, where all the time is in the highest rpms & at the limiter. If your stage II H2 is at a circuit track every weekend (not at the H2Rs X hours, probably not even double that at strictly above 8k rpm, the H2 doesn't have the H2Rs cam) think anybody might consider it as well after a few seasons to be safe but doubt it's even necessary there. Also while we know the Stage II 'H2 is producing H2R power', the H2R doesn't produce 326 crank hp (bone stock H2Rs that I've seen tested ranged from the low end of 235rwhp to the high of 265rwhp) that service was probably set while Kawi planned to deliver 326 crank hp/286rwhp, before they restricted it's ECU after 11k rpm. Having an increased redline also doesn't mean you HAVE TO make every shift at the higher redline, or use the added rpms it all if you prefer not to. But since I was getting a reflash anyway why not have the extra rpms/HP available to me.

Kawi engineered the motor to handle the power plus some & then you know why they didnt/couldn't deliver the bike that way. I use the added rpms on the street & track (but not in intervals of hours each season) or when racing other bikes & only then if I need to, kinda like the gun analogy; it's better to have one and not need it then to need one & not have it. But based on what we & others who have done the R&D for the reflash know about the engine I'm not concerned for guys that use it a lot more than I do.

I've had a lot of vehicles reflashed w/ higher rpms without issue but it & AFR needs to be done right & serviced routinely. There's a **** ton of cars & bikes out there w/ increased rpms. Besides the H2 I own 2 sports cars & a Harley as well reflashed/ w/ higher rpms than stock but IMO if there was ever an OEM engine calling for it based on the way it was engineered & then restricted but also safe to do it on, it's this one.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've seen 200rwhp from other bikes so depending on the Dyno & how it's being operated, conditions, etc, it's on the higher end but not unheard off, 184 is the low end, most I've seen fall into the 190-195 area, seen a couple at 197. Chads bike made over 200 rwhp stock on Brocks Dyno as well. (below)

Obviously you decided to leave the stock redline, 30rwhp more on pump fuel? Tough but maybe, think you will pick up 15-20rwhp & see approx. 255/260rwhp (on that Dyno) w/ another 1k rpm ( i.e.: Brocks Stage II reflash) if you decide to have your tuner go that route, that's where the majority of additional gains will be had. Are you running a high flow filter like DNA? That will definitely get you closer (seen 7-9 w/ proper reflash) as well & will help the bike run better but if not would wait till the next tuning session. Very tasteful mods especially since you were going for quiet, love the wheels/black rear hub, etc. Nice job all around, thanks for sharing.
Hi Stradle, on this dyno run you were running racing fuel right?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hi Stradle, on this dyno run you were running racing fuel right?

·
Registered
702 Posts

Before I make my comments I want to start out by saying that I respect everyone's right to have their own opinion and I mean no disrespect in any way with what I am about to say.

Most H2s that I've seen (US models) make well under 200hp. From 184-189. +/- 2hp. I do not believe that any stock H2 makes 200HP based on the graphs that I have seen. On the graphs that I have viewed personally, once the throttle bodies start to close the mixture runs very rich up top and the bike falls flat on it's face. With that said, if the stock bike was remapped I am inclined to believe that the 200hp figure is achievable. As far as a baseline run is concerned.... nope, not happening.

2nd - and this is a big one. I also do not trust ANY dyno that says that ANY ECU Flash package makes 260HP (or 250, **** 240 for that matter). I'd be willing to bet that any one on this forum with a simple flash from would have a hard time making it out of the 230s on my local dyno. Please bear with me as this is just my opinion.

I have seen an H2 with Brocks' stage 2 flash/exhaust package dyno'ed and it had to be revved to 14,500rpm to make 236hp. I can post that graph if you like. I'll have to dig it up and if I can't find it I'll grab it when I head back to the dyno this weekend. At 14,000rpm it was in the ballpark of 230hp. Weather was about 70* F with low humidity.

Logic - If Akropovic is saying that their H2R dyno'ed at 241hp...... and that would make sense with a 300hp crank figure with 20% drivetrain loss ...... then there's no way that a standard H2 (flashed) will make more than that figure without intake and cam changes. (You're welcome Cliff) Akropovic worked directly with Kawasaki with the development of their exhaust so in my opinion, they are the most credible source of an actual H2R dyno other than Kawasaki themselves.

Ricky Gadson posted a video where he dyno'ed a stock H2, flashed it, then it made 213hp (a 30hp gain which is consistent across the board). He installed his RG62 kit and played with the mapping and it put out 239hp (26hp more which is very close to what his kit advertises). After he removed the air filter and tuned it some more it then jumped up to the 250s range.
- So, does that mean that a mere Flash/Exhaust package makes more power than Ricky's RG62 kit installed on a stock bike (flashed) at 239hp??? Not a chance ......... in my opinion.

All this stuff about dynos reading low or high just doesn't sit well with me. The program is either calibrated properly or it isn't.

If any one in the northeastern tri state area wants to put their H2 on my friends' dyno I'd be willing to put it on my tab just to lay the BS to rest. I'll dyno up to 2 bikes. No tuning. Just a diagnostic run. ;). My pockets ain't that deep. lol. If it dynos over 240 @ 14000rpm, I pay. If it dynos under 240 @ 14000rpm, you pay. :D

I'm not slagging anyone personally or trying to be an antagonist in any way. I just find it frustrating that there is so much conflicting information regarding power for this bike and it doesn't make sense. No other bike in my recent memory has generated this much confusion surrounding power figures.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I really don't want to get into the H2R stuff again but quickly, it wasn't 300 crank hp that Kawi stated, it was actually 326hp. For those that have followed the developments of Don Guhl closely and the dyno charts of H2Rs (I can post them) you can see that the reason Akapovic got 241rwhp (and 3 mags 250-265rwhp) on a stock H2R is because like the H2 the bike is restricted, highest rwhp coming at 12k rpm, once its derestricted & continues building power to redline it makes 286-292rwhp/ approx. 320-326 crank hp. Ricky's hybrid made 292rwhp after Dons reflash. But that's why Stage II H2's are making H2R (bone stock) power without the H2R's cam & air filter & the reason for the Stage II H2 vs. H2R LSR results, once the H2R is derestricted it makes more power than a Stage II H2.

Performance Bikes H2R chart, as you can see after 12k rpm the stock H2R flatlines:

Kawis presentation, showing increases in power to redline:

Think using 20% drive line loss is high, 12% is more accurate. We all know different dynos will read differently, the same dynos will even read very differently with different conditions or with bike temperature & getting hung up on the # instead of the gain isn't what the tool is used for. In addition think it depends on the bike, the reflash, the mods, etc. Not everyone has the same reflash or mods.

As far as the baseline # we're not too far off from one another. You said 184-189. The stock BMWS1000R makes approx. 183rwhp.... I said most I've seen have been between 190-195. Have I seen some in the mid to high 180's, yup but like I said 184rwhp is on the lower end. Cycle World mag got 190rwhp. I've seen 197rwhp a few times. Seen above 200, 203, even 206 but think theyre outliers. The original poster got 202rwhp stock.

My post below I said Racer172 should see 250-260rwhp if he increased 1k rpms. He made 202 stock & 240 after the tune w/ stock redline. His tuner said he could see another 30, I said 30 on pump would be tough but if he increased 1k rpms, going from a Stage I reflash to Stage II, by looking at his dyno chart, think it would be good for another 15-20 rwhp & see 250-260 rwhp on that dyno, with same conditions. If you use a dyno that reads low & see 184 stock then w/ the same gain you'd be at 234rwhp. So I guess it just depends on how you look at it. I know from seeing H2 races against lighter bikes making 230+rwhp, where the H2 walks away or just look at the LSR results.

Original poster Racer172s. Stock 202rwhp, refashed w/ stock redline 240rwhp:

OneArmbandits stock H2, 193 rwhp

Warp12s stock H2, 198rwhp:

Turtle100's stock H2 202 rwhp:

Chads bike stock 203 rwhp:

Highest I've seen 206rwhp stock.

Most I've seen are in the low to mid 190's, this one 193 the reflash is w/ oxy race fuel;

1 - 20 of 26 Posts