Ninja H2 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an H2 inbound and only want to do minimal work on it, but the most obvious thing is that beast of a stock can. I know there is amazing performance boosts to be gained from full systems, but I have some neighbors that I really want to at least sort of like me.

Is there anyone out there with enough experience to say if there are any smaller exhausts that aren't complete screamers? I love the look of the minimal aftermarket exhausts but a fair amount of them basically look like straight pipes.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
Any slip-on exhaust that retains the front part of the exhaust system (including the catalyst box and the flapper valve) will be decently quiet. I have a Hindle slip-on on mine and I really like it. You can hear it, but it isn't obnoxious. And it weighs about 17 lbs less than stock ... it's noticeable. Mine uses a standard shorty 12" muffler ... there's no need for it to be as huge as the Akrapovic monster. The catalyst and flapper valve take care of most of it.

All slip-on mufflers are pretty much the same, so pick whatever suits your fancy.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
My UK spec' H2 uses the Akrapovic can. Kawasaki supply these with the bike as a free accessory.

With the standard exhaust downpipes and catalyst it makes 105dB at 4,000rpm as tested by Sraightliners at LSR events.

I think the catalyst absorbs a lot of noise, I was considering removing it and fitting a plain link pipe but I'm pretty sure it would exceed the permitted noise levels at our meetings.

The full Akrapovic system they make for the H2R is claimed to be quiet, it might be worth investigating.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys! What I'd LOVE is a short/low mount slip-on that wasn't a huge screamer, but I'm guessing it's sort of a "one or the other" choice between small exhaust and quiet exhaust, right?

The only low-mount slip-on I can actually find is this Hotbodies one:

I'm not completely in love with the craftsmanship/look on it though. I'm thinking I might go the route of buying an Akra slip-on for an R1 or ZX10R and fabricate it into a custom slip-on.

EDIT: Turns out Austin Racing makes a whole range of low mount slip-ons. However, the more I look at slip-ons, the more the CAT sticks out like a sore thumb. At least with the stock exhaust it somewhat hides the CAT. Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
52 Posts
UK Akro, with removeable baffle installed, and a straight through link pipe is very similar noise levels to full cat plus Akro and no baffle. We have snow and crappy weather now, but when things brighten up i was going to test with and without baffle and with / without cat. ( i own an engineering consultancy and have an acoustics team so will be done correctly) Just need to wait until spring. My setup is reversible with a slip joint so 15mins to swap over. It's a bit fruity with the baffle out, but nowhere near H2R noise levels.

Chris.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
We have a couple quiet options, with removable noise inserts: https://www.brocksperformance.com/Ninja-H2+C460.aspx

The problem with 'small' is the lack of volume for baffle packing to keep the noise in check, especially over time. Our Alien Heads slip-ons are what I would consider reasonable... but I'm not sure a neighbor would if you were leaving early for work or coming home late etc.

Brock

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
UK Akro, with removeable baffle installed, and a straight through link pipe is very similar noise levels to full cat plus Akro and no baffle. We have snow and crappy weather now, but when things brighten up i was going to test with and without baffle and with / without cat. ( i own an engineering consultancy and have an acoustics team so will be done correctly) Just need to wait until spring. My setup is reversible with a slip joint so 15mins to swap over. It's a bit fruity with the baffle out, but nowhere near H2R noise levels.

Chris.
Chris, would your team be able to take a sound measurement using the method Straightliners use, so I can get an idea if it would get through the scrutineer's noise test without the catalyst?

We have to hold the revs steady at 4,000 and they measure 1 metre away from the end of the exhaust at an angle of 45 degrees. 105dB is the maximum allowed. Currently my H2, with cat, just scrapes through with the baffle out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
yes is short answer. They have calibrated noise meters, and one of them is a petrol head. We made a custom 3 silencer twin exit no resistance setup for my radical (1500 busa). tested in workshop at sub 102db 7500 rpm. tested by Adolf the noise tester at various MSA events at 102. Will not be until dry weather though, as i live in to much of a built up area to do in back garden. needs to be free field anyway away from reflections. I share your pain regarding uk noise regs. i am also looking at the design of pre chamber which in profile looks the same / similar to a link pipe in the event that it is just over. Plan B is a vortex induction design inside the uk Akropovic using the carbon shell as a silhouette.

Chris

Chris, would your team be able to take a sound measurement using the method Straightliners use, so I can get an idea if it would get through the scrutineer's noise test without the catalyst?

We have to hold the revs steady at 4,000 and they measure 1 metre away from the end of the exhaust at an angle of 45 degrees. 105dB is the maximum allowed. Currently my H2, with cat, just scrapes through with the baffle out.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
We have a couple quiet options, with removable noise inserts: https://www.brocksperformance.com/Ninja-H2+C460.aspx

The problem with 'small' is the lack of volume for baffle packing to keep the noise in check, especially over time. Our Alien Heads slip-ons are what I would consider reasonable... but I'm not sure a neighbor would if you were leaving early for work or coming home late etc.

Brock
Yeah, I figured it was a size issue, but I really don't have enough knowledge on how db killers and whatnot work. The ultimate exhaust to me would be something small with a removable db killer. I'd be more than willing to sacrifice some street performance in exchange for a quieter exhaust, but I'd love to be able to fairly easily switch to a more aggressive setup for the track. ****, at this point I'm actually looking into making a custom setup where I can swap from a slip-on or stock exhaust to a slash cut for track use. Not ideal, but if the the mapping works then it could be worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts