Ninja H2 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Brock / Guhl derestricted ECU, Sprint Air filter but went with the vandemon full system this time.

After my usual weekend 250 mile spirited ride, all around the end of muffler it is covered in black soot!

I never noticed it being that bad when i had the full Brock exhaust system.

It seems to be running a lot richer with the vandemon than the Brock full system, has anyone else experienced this?

Obviously a visit to the dyno is next on the list to see what the Afr is doing and a potential re-tune.

·
Registered
587 Posts
It's always going to be dark like that. It's a forced induction bike that runs richer than what you are used to seeing on N/A pipes.

Reactions: Turbo329

·
Registered
702 Posts
Is this level of soot normal with stage 2 sc gear on pump gas after some hard runs?

You need to get your dyno tune done and then wipe down the exhaust to monitor how much soot you're getting.

There are some design differences between Brock's muffler and Vandemon's muffler. The Vandemon muffler has rounded edges and are more likely to pick up soot in a rich condition. With that said, I know for a fact that my personal maps I sent you have the AFR around 12.0 (+/- 0.3 for atmospheric fluctuations) which is pretty rich. Soot is normal and mine is usually a pale color because I run mostly race fuel. Cheap pump gas would most likely be black since and depending on your region you may have less ethanol in your fuel than we do in the northeast.

Noting the color of your wheel in the picture and seeing that it is turning yellow, you have probably been running rich all along prior to the Vandemon, but Brock's muffler does a great of not having unburned fuel stick to it.

As I suggested the other day, based on your photo, leaning the maps I gave you 5% might be a good starting point (especially in the cruising range 3-6500rpm) but no more than that until you get to the dyno. It's generally better to run rich on these bikes.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to get your dyno tune done and then wipe down the exhaust to monitor how much soot you're getting.

There are some design differences between Brock's muffler and Vandemon's muffler. The Vandemon muffler has rounded edges and are more likely to pick up soot in a rich condition. With that said, I know for a fact that my personal maps I sent you have the AFR around 12.0 (+/- 0.3 for atmospheric fluctuations) which is pretty rich. Soot is normal and mine is usually a pale color because I run mostly race fuel. Cheap pump gas would most likely be black since and depending on your region you may have less ethanol in your fuel than we do in the northeast.

Noting the color of your wheel in the picture and seeing that it is turning yellow, you have probably been running rich all along prior to the Vandemon, but Brock's muffler does a great of not having unburned fuel stick to it.

As I suggested the other day, based on your photo, leaning the maps I gave you 5% might be a good starting point (especially in the cruising range 3-6500rpm) but no more than that until you get to the dyno. It's generally better to run rich on these bikes.

Hope this helps.
Thx for your help!

I am getting roll on on 4th gear 150mph wheelies at the moment, so its doing quite well :)

Thx again for the maps!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hope this helps.
Are you running a stock fuel pump or AEM fuel pump with your Stage 2 SC gears?

·
Registered
587 Posts
^Stock fuel pump is fine with stage 2 gears, but the guys using the stock pump did injector splitting.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^Stock fuel pump is fine with stage 2 gears, but the guys using the stock pump did injector splitting.
What is injector splitting? Is that using the PCV secondary fuel module?

Since i already have the fuel pump would their be any downside to using it especially as i have stage 3 SC gears on the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts