Ninja H2 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you riding on the street, how did you register your bike through your Department of Motor Vehicle?

If you do not ride on the street, did you pay the dealer tax and not go through the DMV?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
That's an interesting question. I'm only aware of one owner that registered the H2R but in states that I know of anyway if it's registered you'd have to show proof of the tax being paid either at the dealer or pay it to the state at DMV in order to get a regi. I bought my H2 out of state so didn't pay the tax till regi. w/ NY DMV (so state tax deduction) If you bought the H2R out of state w/ no plans to regi it, no approx $4500 sales tax?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Isn't the only thing that stops it is the turn signals and headlamps(and mirrors)?You could leave the cowl wings on there...and install bar end mirrors for that.Some guy in Az(I think it was)DID street legal his H2R.It's in here somewhere.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Isn't the only thing that stops it is the turn signals and headlamps(and mirrors)?You could leave the cowl wings on there...and install bar end mirrors for that.Some guy in Az(I think it was)DID street legal his H2R.It's in here somewhere.
Technically the exhaust & tires too, tires easy to change, exhaust only a problem in some areas, wouldn't be an issue by me. I thought about an H2R but was more concerned that I'd get hung up w/ my insurance co. or DMV. I really don't know the ins and outs plus legality, liability of insuring, registering a bike that's not street legal. Plus what happens if you crash it or total it? That's a big gamble, if you said it's an H2 does your insurance co. have a right to refuse a claim? Or worse you hurt somebody else & their insurance co. finds out, does your insurance co. leave you unprotected? Geeezz.

Not sure if the AZ guy just got lucky or if it's not a big deal. At the time didn't feel it was worth the gamble. Now w/ the stage 2 H2s making the power that they are and I'm still unclear on whether the H2R is restricted seen H2Rs on dynos that look like they flat line after 12k rpm even though they redline over 14k, kinda like how the H2 flat lines at 10,800. On these H2Rs power is 240s rwhp. However, if any H2R owner is feeling depressed by a 2016 H2R and need to find a home for their much sicker looking 15, I'd be their huckle berry & if need be get the Guhl/Brocks H2R special.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I bought my H2R about two months ago from outta state. The H2R in California, is legal as an off highway motorcycle only.
It gets the exact same registration and sticker as a motocross bike. Tax here is 9.25 % , yes legal state sponsored thieves.
If you could get the emissions to pass, the rest of the stuff headlight, brake light, turn signals... Would be easy. The noise, the other traffic lights on the bike really are so small compared to the emissions. In this politically corrupt, butt kissing, schmooze fest, this state will impound your bike forever and fine you on top of it. So, you can ride at a track, legally. Or blast through traffic, and ride the bike like it was meant to be ridden. Illegally. You really can do both. Who is going to catch, the H2R, No One. Unless you crash.
Our local, enforcement officials ride Honda ST 1200's fully loaded, lights, bags, heavy. The CHP ride BMW's. To me, if you get a good rider, that is willing to sneak up on you, they will get you. Most of them love bikes and ride the other way. So it's a gamble.
The H2R is the most unbelievable machine I have ever come across. When your on it, time stops. When you twist it hard, that crazy tingle goes straight up your spine. At 100+ the wings pin your nose to the ground. This thing is worth the risk, the money.
When I first got the H2 in March, I could not believe it, Kawi built something even faster than the 14R. When the H2R arrived, I had to take it out. I have a route that I take around town. I'm still in disbelief that they actually built this bike. It is off the chart, in a big way.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I did not go through the dealer for my bike to get plate since they know it is not a street legal bike. I paid sales tax + dealer fees + title fees which is a little less than $5000. Took title to the DMV and they gave me registration and street plate. Insurance is required in my state. The insurance company uses vin id to figure out the rate. In my case, the H2R vin does not show up in the database so they couldn't insure it through the normal route. My agent just insured it anyway based on the street H2 rate. My bike is legally registered and insured to be on the street at this time. I only need to put head light, bar-end mirror and mount a bracket for the license plate and I am good to go. No emissions check is needed in my state. If I get pulled over, it would be the loudness of the bike that attracts the cops or for speeding.

·
Registered
115 Posts
However, if any H2R owner is feeling depressed by a 2016 H2R and need to find a home for their much sicker looking 15, I'd be their huckle berry & if need be get the Guhl/Brocks H2R special.
Ha Ha..very funny. The 2015 H2R is sick and no matter what, the 2016 H2R will only come in 2nd, then the H2. No one knows for sure the real power so I would not label it's a 240 hp bike based on a couple of dyno runs. Regardless, even if it is just an ECU glitch, it's a minor thing because that could be fixed easily by Don already. I am glad for you guys to gain those extra power for the H2 with the $4000 upgrades. Let's just wait til some real runs and figures revealed in the future, and only then we will know the real H2R is all about.

Also, Don already showed the H2R pulled over 300hp at the rear wheel!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, thanks for all the insight guys!

I bought the new 2015 H2R from Vey's Powersports in Ca.

Should be delivered within the next few weeks. Super excited.

Andy

·
Registered
438 Posts
Fantastic AndrewPerez!
Please tell us if you plan to tag, and ride it on the street.
And if you plan to dyno it.
Please keep us informed of everything that you do!
Thanks

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Ha Ha..very funny. The 2015 H2R is sick and no matter what, the 2016 H2R will only come in 2nd, then the H2. No one knows for sure the real power so I would not label it's a 240 hp bike based on a couple of dyno runs. Regardless, even if it is just an ECU glitch, it's a minor thing because that could be fixed easily by Don already. I am glad for you guys to gain those extra power for the H2 with the $4000 upgrades. Let's just wait til some real runs and figures revealed in the future, and only then we will know the real H2R is all about.

Also, Don already showed the H2R pulled over 300hp at the rear wheel!
Do you mean a factory stock H2R w/ over 300rwhp if so that would be interesting, the most I've seen from bone stock H2Rs are believe was 259. 292 with flash. If the factory H2R makes 300 rwhp show it, maybe there's a reason we haven't seen a single factory stock H2R Dyno run over 240s? until then we have to go on what we know which are 2 co. Fast Bikes and Akro which both got 240s and Dons work showing 259. Both bikes seemed to flat line at 12k exactly like a stock H2 does at 10,800.

Btw: just funnin around but how many miles do you have on your H2R? Unless you're riding your H2R on the street everyday like I am w/ my stage 2 H2 then the correct order is stage 2 H2 then H2R for being the most fun anyway. Plus it's a freakin bargain $30k vs $50k for same performance? Actually in real world testing the stage 2 H2s performance in mile & 1/4 is faster against a FLASHED H2R motor, w/ similarly equipped swing arms in 1/4, in mile even with extended swing arm Rickys H2R motor PLUS flash didn't go as fast as Zach on his stage 2 H2. So until the H2R actually shows it has more HP, isn't restricted and then also beats the stage 2 H2 records, well......So you have the advantage to the stage 2 across the board 1) Using the H2 for everday riding 2) As much HP, performance. 3) Winning at real world performance tests vs. the H2R in both stock (216mph) & flashed (218 mph) versions.. When the stock H2R Performs/beat the stage 2 in those categories then you can say the order is 15 H2R, then 16 H2R then stage 2 H2. For now stage 2 is tops across the board well except looks, the H2Rs carbon fiber is to die for.

Btw : re the H2R you say lets see what's happens w/ "real runs" in the future. You don't think RG running a flashed H2R motor or the Kawasaki TEAM running the mile are real runs?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Do you mean a factory stock H2R w/ over 300rwhp if so that would be interesting, the most I've seen from bone stock H2Rs are believe was 259. 292 with flash. If the factory H2R makes 300 rwhp show it, maybe there's a reason we haven't seen a single factory stock H2R Dyno run over 240s? until then we have to go on what we know which are 2 co. Fast Bikes and Akro which both got 240s and Dons work showing 259. Both bikes seemed to flat line at 12k exactly like a stock H2 does at 10,800.

Btw: just funnin around but how many miles do you have on your H2R? Unless you're riding your H2R on the street everyday like I am w/ my stage 2 H2 then the correct order is stage 2 H2 then H2R for being the most fun anyway. Plus it's a freakin bargain $30k vs $50k for same performance? Actually in real world testing the stage 2 H2s performance in mile & 1/4 is faster against a FLASHED H2R motor, w/ similarly equipped swing arms in 1/4, in mile even with extended swing arm Rickys H2R motor PLUS flash didn't go as fast as Zach on his stage 2 H2. So until the H2R actually shows it has more HP, isn't restricted and then also beats the stage 2 H2 records, well......So you have the advantage to the stage 2 across the board 1) Using the H2 for everday riding 2) As much HP, performance. 3) Winning at real world performance tests vs. the H2R in both stock (216mph) & flashed (218 mph) versions.. When the stock H2R Performs/beat the stage 2 in those categories then you can say the order is 15 H2R, then 16 H2R then stage 2 H2. For now stage 2 is tops across the board well except looks, the H2Rs carbon fiber is to die for.

Btw : re the H2R you say lets see what's happens w/ "real runs" in the future. You don't think RG running a flashed H2R motor or the Kawasaki TEAM running the mile are real runs?
You seem to like to compare your H2 v H2R for some reason but your H2 will always be in the back seat no matter what upgrades you put on it. The fact is the H2R motor generates 326 hp with ram air and your motor is 210hp with ram air. What ever your upgrades for whatever the price to catch up is good for you. Stop saying the H2 is faster and has more horsepower.

Compare stock v. stock and upgrades v. upgrades if you want to compare. Anyway, in stock form, there is no comparison.

In modified form (throw whatever you want to at it...ECU, pipe, filter, clutch, suspension, etc), and RG H2R laid down 8.2 in a quarter. Until the modified street H2 can do better then you can blow some horn.

As far as top speed, RG quit because of weather conditions so he did not try different sprocket setups. The 219 mph set by Brock's team is very impressive with the upgrades and strapped down front-end, but I really don't think it will last once more H2Rs are put to the test. Since there are not too many H2Rs out there so it could take awhile before you see anything. For now, you can enjoy the 219mph top speed for the modded H2.

I bought the H2R just because it carries the legendary H2 name and reputation and with the attitude to back it up. I didn't buy it to compare to the H2. Most of my bikes I own are the original H2's 2-stroke triple from the 70's. Do I ride my bike? That is a funny question to ask. I ride whenever I feel like riding.

Picture below is me on my 75 H2.

The bike is not a transportation for me so I don't need to ride to rack up miles. The truth is I don't have time to ride much because I am building a 2-stroke triple bike with the intention to break the 1/4-mile world record for its class at this time. RG could be the pilot for this bike.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You seem to like to compare your H2 v H2R for some reason but your H2 will always be in the back seat no matter what upgrades you put on it. The fact is the H2R motor generates 326 hp with ram air and your motor is 210hp with ram air. What ever your upgrades for whatever the price is to catch up is good for you. Stop saying the H2 is faster and has more horsepower.
I've yet to see a stock H2R make 326hp. In fact every Dyno we have seen shows it makes much less (240s) & even the ECU that Don had it made 259. Like you're looking forward to "real races" I'd love to see an H2R make 326 hp stock, I would not kidding, hope it happens. 2nd point, my motor doesn't make 210 hp in current format, everyone knows the bike was severely restricted.

KawieH2R - "Stop saying the H2 is faster", I never said that, said the stage 2 H2 is faster and IT IS, it's been proven with real world results both at the drag strip & mile. Will it remain faster? Dunno but for now it's FASTER, them da facts.

·
Registered
574 Posts
On paper the H2R should be faster with cams, slight compression boost, ECU, & exhaust. To compare apples to apples you would have to compare two stock bikes and then two with the ECU mods and the PCV. I still think the R will take it. When it comes to unlimited the R's light weight will be an advantage in the 1/4 mile, but virtually nill in the mile. Dollar for dollar, the H2 should prove to be the fastest thing ever.

Reactions: STRADALE

·
Registered
115 Posts
On paper the H2R should be faster with cams, slight compression boost, ECU, & exhaust. To compare apples to apples you would have to compare two stock bikes and then two with the ECU mods and the PCV. I still think the R will take it. When it comes to unlimited the R's light weight will be an advantage in the 1/4 mile, but virtually nill in the mile. Dollar for dollar, the H2 should prove to be the fastest thing ever.
I think you made my point as well:)

·
Registered
115 Posts
All fun aside with the H2 and H2R sibling rivalry, it's all good.

I am probably the biggest H2 fan when I found out Kawasaki was reliving the legendary H2 name. I immediately went to the dealer and tried to reserve one but my dealer didn't know anything about it and they thought it was an internet HOAX....LOL. Then, the H2R was announced so that was the end of it...I had to have it. The only disappointment for me was it was not a 2-stroke 3-cylinder monster.

I am a Kawasaki 2-stroke enthusiast first of all but I do like only a few of other branded bikes. After many years of searching, I think my dream list is complete. I'd love to discuss this in on another topic.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Agree, on paper the stock H2R should take wins in both the 1/4 mile & mile. What I'm referring to is a stage 2 H2 set up perfectly vs. a bone stock H2R. Reason being, Id like to see anywhere a bone stock H2R Dyno where it's making the power that it makes on paper (w/ out restriction) I hope it's not restricted because I love the H2R, my bikes reputation is also tied to it but I'm wondering if there was some form of restriction based on what I've read from Don & the dynos that have been done so far,,,, that I've seen anyway. The charts I've seen seem to flat line after 12k rpm. I'm not saying I'm sure, just that I'm speculating that there might be something going on where the stock bikes aren't making 326hp or even close, would like to see more on it & know for sure. Records are made to be broken & I'm really looking forward to top notch teams breaking them but as of right now in real world tests Brocks stage 2 H2 is faster.

Comparing to a bone stock H2R you should be able to get within say 10lbs w/ an unsprung, rotational mass advantage w/ a modified stage 2 H2, keeping the lighting & cowl/panels, switching the battery, wheels, exhaust, removing the mirrors, rear fender, etc. The exhaust switch out alone is worth 30lbs.

I'd buy an H2R in a heart beat if I thought I could actually ride it on the street OR if I could own both a stage 2 H2 & H2R. If it was a decision of only owning one though and could only use the H2R for track days, it's an easy one for me anyway. To be honest using it on the track only doesn't even make sense to me, not tracks by me anyway, longest straight is 1/2 mile & even on my bone stock H2 I'm jammed up and except for the straight majority is 2nd & 3rd gear stuff. So for mile events but to only use it once or twice a year? Would kill me. Think a lot of the H2Rs aren't going to be used at all which is like a sin. Now to own both, those guys are truly blessed.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You seem to like to compare your H2 v H2R for some reason but your H2 will always be in the back seat no matter what upgrades you put on it. The fact is the H2R motor generates 326 hp with ram air and your motor is 210hp with ram air. What ever your upgrades for whatever the price to catch up is good for you. Stop saying the H2 is faster and has more horsepower.

Compare stock v. stock and upgrades v. upgrades if you want to compare. Anyway, in stock form, there is no comparison.

In modified form (throw whatever you want to at it...ECU, pipe, filter, clutch, suspension, etc), and RG H2R laid down 8.2 in a quarter. Until the modified street H2 can do better then you can blow some horn.

As far as top speed, RG quit because of weather conditions so he did not try different sprocket setups. The 219 mph set by Brock's team is very impressive with the upgrades and strapped down front-end, but I really don't think it will last once more H2Rs are put to the test. Since there are not too many H2Rs out there so it could take awhile before you see anything. For now, you can enjoy the 219mph top speed for the modded H2.

I bought the H2R just because it carries the legendary H2 name and reputation and with the attitude to back it up. I didn't buy it to compare to the H2. Most of my bikes I own are the original H2's 2-stroke triple from the 70's. Do I ride my bike? That is a funny question to ask. I ride whenever I feel like riding.

Picture below is me on my 75 H2.

The bike is not a transportation for me so I don't need to ride to rack up miles. The truth is I don't have time to ride much because I am building a 2-stroke triple bike with the intention to break the 1/4-mile world record for its class at this time. RG could be the pilot for this bike.

If I was lucky enough to own an H2R I'd keep it bone stock, it's a collectors piece, wouldn't think of adding a swing arm extension or God forbid painting it but that's only one of the reasons I'm comparing a modified H2 to stock H2R.

You're saying to 'only compare stock to stock or mod vs mod'. Compare stock vs. stock? Why, what's the point, the H2R should be quicker every time w/ same rider & conditions.. but OBVIOUSLY if the stock H2R is making 326hp or its flashed it SHOULD beat a stage 2 H2 but again I'm looking at comparing performance of a bone stock $50k H2R against what you can accomplish w/ a modified H2 for $30-$35k. Not all of us are as lucky as you and own an H2R, some of us as you say are "in the back seat" but I don't agree that were there "no matter what upgrades you put on it", in fact as of now we're in the drivers seat. :)

The staff from Kawasaki also ran the H2R in the mile and they achieved 216mph so it wasn't just RGs mile that Brocks, Zach, Chad beat.

RG only went 8.2 in the 1/4 after he added the swing arm, cf wheel, 1/4 mile drag tire, air shifter, rear shock, etc, etc and more importantly that WASNT A STOCK H2R ECU, it was flashed by Don. On street tires AND WITH DONS FLASH he went 9.2. Jeremy Teasley went 8.99. on stock swing arm, street tires.

Cool picture!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I feel like the big noticeable difference between the two bikes, is the combination of power to weight. All the numbers aside.
When you ride both bikes in stock form. The H2R with less weight and more power is clearly faster, more nimble, and really the pure
Form of what Kawi was trying to develop. Having said that, the H2 is without any doubt, better for the street and real world conditions.
Both of my bikes will stay stock. I have planted the seed with my wife about a second H2, to build. I had to agree to leave the H2R stock
Or she was not on board. Kawi may put the supercharger on the smaller bikes, But I don't think anyone will ever match the H2 or the H2R. Brock's stage 2 is great, further development, more power is inevitable, I bet we see 400 horsepower from both bikes, as soon as
A supercharger guy rips in and mods it up. It is great to see, the few crashes at this point, haven't stopped the bike, the technology,
Or the push for more. I love all bikes, but these two are in a different class altogether. How Kawi got the carbon fiber on the R to turn out so perfect is really incredible. That's why the 50 K for the R. Side by side that cost difference is clear. The R really is perfection.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts