Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Love this bike but has the same problem my brand new zx14 had which is a noise/play when the bike is stopped using only the front brake. You hear it at low speeds when applying only front brake roughly 10km/hr or less. Anyone experience this?

The cure on the zx14 was a steering head bearing adjustment. Very minimal adjustment but worked.

The thing with these Brembo rotors is they float and actually have play in them if you grab the rotor and move it back and forth. I tried my bro in laws Ducati with same rotors and his bike had no pop or click when braking.

Can anyone else contribute here?

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hey guys,

Love this bike but has the same problem my brand new zx14 had which is a noise/play when the bike is stopped using only the front brake. You hear it at low speeds when applying only front brake roughly 10km/hr or less. Anyone experience this?

The cure on the zx14 was a steering head bearing adjustment. Very minimal adjustment but worked.

The thing with these Brembo rotors is they float and actually have play in them if you grab the rotor and move it back and forth. I tried my bro in laws Ducati with same rotors and his bike had no pop or click when braking.

Can anyone else contribute here?

Thanks,
Craig

Craig,

My steering head bearings were loose from the factory, torqueing them to spec solved the problem.

Rhody...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for confirming that not even the dealer knows what's wrong ... Brutal. I knew I was right. I have 3000km on the bike now do you think I've done any damage?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I have(at times after it's been sitting like overnight)a click as well when applying the front brake.I had her up on my Heindle stand...and checked for play in the stem bearings...it was fine.I'm thinking it's the brakes themselves.My 14 has done this also.Those bearings are fine as well.I might take mine in and have a pro check it(since you've mentioned this)...but when I did,the steering head was not moving at all...play wise that is.

https://youtu.be/FGXecI5YL-Q

I've got 7500miles on mine...everything is just as it was new...the sound and all.I think I probably should have her checked...just to be 100% sure.Thanks for the post.We're probably fine.

@rhody:"My steering head bearings were loose from the factory, torqueing them to spec solved the problem".May I ask how you checked these?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love all the feedback and the video! Mine makes the exact same noise. I had to buy a special 36mm 12 point thin wall socket from snap on which should be arriving today or tomorrow to remove the steering stem head nut. I also bought the special Steering Stem Nut Wrench: 57001-1100 to make the adjustment. Now the manual says Torque - Steering Stem Nut: 20 N·m (2.0 kgf·m, 15 ft·lb) but how the f do you do that with the stupid little wrench I bought? With my zx14 I made 3 adjustments to get it right and basically only tightened it about 1/8th of a turn each time. Took a while but got it bang on.

·
Registered
406 Posts
OK guys, here is the best way to check the steering head bearings, support the bike from the middle of the chassis, grab the front forks, facing backwards, put your feet on the exhaust headers and gently rock, pull and push. Mine made a clicking sound and you could feel slight movement. The H2 is a by-hand assembled beast, if more than a few owners are having this problem, then I am thinking the steering head assembly process is not completely done by hand, because if it was not torqueing the head nut would not be an issue.

Rhody...

PS... A racer I follow on YouTube, Marcel Irnie had his factory original OEM forks rebuilt from a stock (2015 BMW S1000RR) and when the technician drained the front forks he had 190mm of oil in one and 171mm of oil in the other. Needless to say the compression for both forks was not uniform, which is not a good thing. Like a famous president once said, "Trust, but Verify"...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Yeah...the adjustment(on the H2)I would imagine would be a simple removing the stem nut,and tightening down in VERY small increments and checking.I would say,if it's not moving with a 'precheck'..it's fine.If it's NOT right,you're gonna get movement in the forks when ya move it fore and aft.Long as it's NOT binding side to side,and not moving fore and aft,it should be okay.You'd feel the stem move if it wasn't...course,you know this;)

Like I said earlier...I checked my fork movement...it was solid...yet the sound as you hear is happening,and has from day one.I'm goin with brake sound.Which my bikes do.

·
Registered
554 Posts
its more then probable the fork is a mass produced piece shared with the 10R's or something...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rhody,

I am trying your method for checking for play and I'm not feeling it move whatsoever ... i still think it needs adjustment. What do u think ?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
If it aint moving,and the side to side steering action is not binding but smooth...it sounds okay(to me).I think you'd feel it when ya decelerate off the gas quickly.A clunk.If there's movement in there...as some mentioned...you would feel it closing the throttle abruptly.Especially when it sounds like 'ours'.But like I said before...mine has been doing this deal from day one.And hasn't increased or decreased.It doesn't ALWAYS do this either.Like this morning.When I FIRST moved it(before taking the video)it wasn't making any noise.Only the brake clicking thing.It always does that after it's been sitting.

Course,if you think it should be checked...go for it.At least you'll know for sure.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I can not believe this steering head bs is still around. It's been since '11 on 10r and they REFUSE to change pec and dealers refuse to go against spec. @rhody did the dealer help with you after some persuading? It's a pita and you need the right wrench or rig a different kind..

·
Registered
406 Posts
I can not believe this steering head bs is still around. It's been since '11 on 10r and they REFUSE to change pec and dealers refuse to go against spec. @rhody did the dealer help with you after some persuading? It's a pita and you need the right wrench or rig a different kind..

Nope, at the 600 mile service, after changing the oil the dealer noticed it, I saw/heard (click) the play with my own eyes and then torqued the steering head to spec. They were surprised as I was.

Rhody...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I went to a different dealer today and at first they checked for play by pulling the weight of the bike onto the kickstand while another guy moved the front forks/steering and they did NOT feel play. Then they took the bike down a 30 degree incline and applied the brakes and now the loud "pop" noise happened. The technician confirmed that the steering head bearings needs adjustment and also said that because the pop was so loud he was worried the bearings are not sufficiently greased. They are suggesting taking the whole front end apart and checking if the bearings are damaged at all and if there is sufficient grease on them. $30,000 for this bike ...brutal.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Steering bearings are called out as a maintenance inspection in the first 600 mile service, its routine on all bikes, these things can settle with use especially on bikes that can wheelie easily. Don't understand what the fuss is all about?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Let me ask you this...IF you check the fork 'play' by getting the front off the floor with a centerjack...and find no movement,is it safe to assume the bearings are properly adjusted?Thanks.

I just went out and 'tested' the front again...from sitting overnight.From as best I can tell...that noise(on mine)is coming from the brake calipers.There's no noise up around the steering head.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts