210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i did not buy this bike to worry about fucking paint
if it gets a scratch oh well
its a kawasaki........... not really known for fucken paint jobs

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
So you scratched yours didja?Try some Meguiar's Scratch and Swirl 2.0.Does a good job at removing minor stuff.Sometimes it needs to be 'worked' a couple of times over the blemish,but so far so good.At over 4K miles now...I've not gotten any unbuffable scratches.Gotta watch the zippers and such on jackets though...those little metal pull tabs.I taped the ones on the sleeves of my one jacket I use frequently.So far my paint's doing okay.Got a very small rock strike on the left front spoiler..hit right on the green tape.For a second,I was crestfallen.Then like you,I said the same thing.It aint gonna be perfect forever.I'm not worrying about stuff I can't control.Battle scars...that's what they'll be....;)

Bug bodies.Like little shards of metal shavings.Gotta make sure your washing cloths are totally free of that stuff when cleaning.I have a bag of microfiber cloths.Each time I wash my bike(no soap)I pay attention to what's getting on the cloth.I change washing cloths almost everytime I clean my baby after each ride.I pretty much use ONE large towel for drying her off.Good thing is...this bike is VERY easy to wash down.There's not much painted surface area compared to some others I've had.

I use LOTS of water in a bucket to saturate the paintwork.Lifts the stuff right away from the surface.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yeah there always going to mark eventually, I just put Dr Beasley's on the small part under the seat stopper rubber thing. This had quite a few scratches and I wanted to use this small part as a test patch. Firstly a little plexus then mcquires 2.0 ,then some FW1 cleaning wax and finally 2 coats of dr Beasley's.Brought it up really well compared to what it was like. I am still waiting for 3M to get back to me to do some test fitting on some templates they did on my bike, a little apprehensive about clear wrap but I will see what they come up with. I want to do the whole bike with Dr Beasley's but then apparently the clear wrap wont go on too well so maybe I will do the mc quires 2.0 where needed as there are quite a few scuff marks on tank and tail.I like my stuff to always look good but in the same breath I am not afraid to ride this bike 3,100 ks up now which considering its winter here in Australia not to bad. All of these ks have been done in the mountain's and I love this bike. Funny thing is I have a Ford FPV supercharged V8 Ute 360 Kilo Watts at the rear wheels and it always feels a little slow after I get of the H2 .

·
Registered
267 Posts
Having had a lot of paint/panel shop experience,I've seen a lot of different show quality paint jobs.
From acrylic,2 pac,pearl and 3 layer pearls.This paint on the H2 beats them all hands down.
Unfortunately for owners like myself and most of us on the forum,the paint is also one of the easiest to scuff and leave swirl marks or light scratches.
The products I've been using with great results so far are:
Expel Ultimate sheets in certain area's.
3M Imperial Hand Glaze.Expensive,but takes out any swirls or scratches with ease.(Providing you haven't scratched deeper than the clearcoat)
Plexus.
Plenty of Micro-fiber cloths.
Like Silverbird say's,keep using fresh cloths as often as you can.Especially with the micro-fiber.They pick up a lot of dust and grime you can't see,and rubbing with the same cloth will rub that stuff back into your paint..

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
If you're not going with the 3m or something similar...I suggest you totally clean your paint,buff out all swirls.Get it clear again...then apply that Beasley's sealer.4 coats...I went 3...but 4 would be even better.For a good protectant over the clearcoat.It won't stop rock chips and stuff like that...but it'll make polishing and clearing light scratches WAY easier.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Dr Beasleys paint sealer, well that I should have ordered when I got the other stuff,bugger freight to Australia is $50 usd

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I fitted a tank pad, the black rubber Kawasaki one from the 14, which seems to be keeping my zips off the paintwork.

I wash it using a Meguiar's lambswool mitt, cold water with car shampoo and do one part at a time. Only work it in one direction to avoid swirls and use a scrupulously clean leather to dry off. A light touch is needed and wash out the mitt and leather afterwards. So far my bike still looks pristine.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i havent scratched it at all... its just whenever i ride it it gets a crowd and every ones telling me how to make sure it doesnt get a scratch and what they would do if it was their bike
and how thet would cry if it ever got scratched
its my bike a june bug at high speed is gonna scratch it
it happens
my belly on the tank will ultimately leave a mark
my boots on the controls will
my hands on the controls will
my leg swinging over it will
the little piece of dirt flinging off the tire will
im gonna ride my bike and it will not be mint buy the time im done
and im fine with that;)

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
If anyone ISN'T fine with the reality of this paint...they best park it now...got mine to ride as well....Already has a couple of teensy nicks on it.Sa'll good IMO.Will get more I know.That's how it goes when ya ride.I aint worryin about it one bit.Now...if only Kawasaki would have taken a que from Star Trek..."shields up Mr Sulu".

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Actually,after seeing Ricky's bike...it did cross my mind.At first.But the paint actually isn't that hard to care for.Nice thing...it doesn't have MILES of bodywork on it.I've found it very easy to 'wash' and dry and buff what I need to in a very short time.Nice relief from having to do a full clean on my 14.The small light stuff comes right out easily.No deep stuff yet....I would hate having to redo the paint on this bike with something else...it IS unique and beautiful.
I can't compare the ease of keeping it 'clear' with another H2...I applied one coat of ss6 sealer first,then 3 coats of Beasley's.Never rode it(except home)with NO protection.It's buffed out nicely since i've had it.Knock on wood.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Best thing to do IMO is find a good detailer, let them do all the heavy lifting and find out what you need to do on your own to take care of it before sending it back to them for things that are best left to them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts