Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys, WTF ? After 500 miles breaking in the my bike the OEM filter looks this bad? How often do you guys check/clean your filter? I went from the UK to south of Spain and back on my ZX14 and the filter was still like new... As for the H2, a few days breaking it in and it looks like the filter has done 10k miles... are you confident the sprint/DNA filters are going to stop this **** hitting the fan!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
That's pretty grubby but if you ignore the bugs what it really shows is where the air mainly flows and perhaps how the design of the inlet could be improved for a more even distribution.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agree Bob, clearly shows focused air flow in one area, the power of forced induction... I'm amazed at the dirt, especially as I live in rural Derbyshire

·
Registered
90 Posts
That's what mine looked like too. I think of it this way if the dirt is in the air then it's unavoidable as whatever you drive through goes straight into the intake tube so what can you do?

·
Registered
393 Posts
haha must check mine not done it yet

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yeah I remove & clean mine every time I come back from the track, air compressor & toothbrush. I have the DNA race filter in mine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I replace mine every service 6,000 ks even though kawasaki recommend every 12,000 ks.It is filthy by then,when you got something that suck really hard **** happens.This applys to lots of things in life if you get my drift.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I was talking to pcr last week and he advised to check/clean the filter regular

Rob

·
Registered
376 Posts
Guys, WTF ? After 500 miles breaking in the my bike the OEM filter looks this bad? How often do you guys check/clean your filter? I went from the UK to south of Spain and back on my ZX14 and the filter was still like new... As for the H2, a few days breaking it in and it looks like the filter has done 10k miles... are you confident the sprint/DNA filters are going to stop this **** hitting the fan!?

So mate what did you end up getting? Did you persist with the OEM or did you go Sprint/DNA?
If so the next time you looked at it, did it have a different proportion of dirt and grime throughout the area of the filter? Be interesting to know how the different so called premium filters work in regards to their inherent design and airflow/distribution. The dirt and grime would show some sort of a " footprint" be good to see a photo of the aftermarket filters in comparison after similar mileage in similar conditions
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hi Jeffro, I junked the OEM filter, couldn't believe the state of it after 500 miles. Obviously it was doing its job but fairly appalling given the amount of crap in it after 500 miles. My 14R had hardly anything after 3 weeks touring Europe so I assume the H2 wrecks filters due to the concentrated airflow created by forced induction... I guess its something we'll have to live with. I replaced it with a sprint filter but in terms of reporting back its the same story as before, its winter here so no chance I'll be checking performance any time soon

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, sucks and ram air as speed increases, you can see on my filter the airflow is pretty much concentrated on one area with half the filter untouched. Guess I'm going to be cleaning the Sprint filter on a regular basis...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Yes, sucks and ram air as speed increases, you can see on my filter the airflow is pretty much concentrated on one area with half the filter untouched. Guess I'm going to be cleaning the Sprint filter on a regular basis...

The reverse C dirt pattern is created by the way the air is forced into the back of the ram air tube at the filter area, the inboard facing mounting post & especially the shape/size of the impeller & housing while gulping in air.

Pic of my first OEM filter,, running DNA though now:

Another member:

My DNA prior to first cleaning:

The dirt on the filter corresponds in shape/shows how/where the air is being sucked in by the impeller & housing:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What kind of mileage are you doing before cleaning? The thing that shocked me was the state mine was in after doing under 500 miles during break in

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
What kind of mileage are you doing before cleaning? The thing that shocked me was the state mine was in after doing under 500 miles during break in

Can't remember exactly, I've gone through 3 OEM's & cleaned the DNA probably 4 times in 12k+ miles. The DNA paid for itself pretty quickly.

Yeah, very large opening in the upper cowl at the very front of the bike compared to most bikes magnified by the increased amount/force of air pulled in by the super charger, looks like that adds up to much more dirt on the filter.

Definitely not something I would follow in the manual regarding Kawi.'s recommended miles when to change.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Ok mate no worries will hear back in the future some time. I am just about ready to buy another I am leaning towards the sprint purely for an ease of maintenance point view. Thanks for the reply just the same
Regards
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
The reverse C dirt pattern is created by the way the air is forced into the back of the ram air tube at the filter area, the inboard facing mounting post & especially the shape/size of the impeller & housing while gulping in air.

Pic of my first OEM filter,, running DNA though now:

Another member:

My DNA prior to first cleaning:

The dirt on the filter corresponds in shape/shows how/where the air is being sucked in by the impeller & housing:
Thanks Stradale for sharing the info and pics. I was thinking how clever DNA and Sprint are having dark colours in their filters to maybe disguise the same amount of dirt and grime. They just look cleaner even when they are dirty!
In saying that the OEM really looks inferior to them.
Thanks again
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
H'mm, here is mine after 190 miles, quite dirty really, bit of crap getting on the impeller too

Rob

Are you referring to the mark on your impeller blade at 11 o'clock? If so I've seen the same mark on other H2 SC'er impellers, was curious what it's from, maybe something w/ how it's manufactured.

Yours:

Mine, approx. 10 o'clock:

Another poster, believe OzBooster, OEM on right, mark at approx. same spot:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts