Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been out for an evening ride, not had many opportunities for a while mostly because of the crappy British weather. I have been pulled out on by every vehicle I have encountered, my highly ventilated race gloves have sent my hands numb and on top of all that I had several "no gears/missed gears". The worst was, I was pulling away from a standstill, rolled up in first gear to around 6k then kicked into 2nd, gave it a little gas then bang, back into first launching me down the road:( I can report the traction control is very good, luckily I had it set on 2 and it caught the wheelie and wheel spin before I did but it gave my back a nice whack and made me a little reluctant to give it much throttle afterwards as it would be a big issue if for instance, you were exiting a bend in 2nd and accelerating mild to hard and it dropped to first!!!!! Don't know how that would look but I think I'd be taking kawasaki to court after the recovery from hospital. The final nail in the coffin, I got home, put my bike in the man cave (shed:)) and once in the light I notice their are little speckles of dirt/mud everywhere:(

On the bright side, I own possibly the two most exciting motorcycles ever produced:)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Just been out for an evening ride, not had many opportunities for a while mostly because of the crappy British weather. I have been pulled out on by every vehicle I have encountered, my highly ventilated race gloves have sent my hands numb and on top of all that I had several "no gears/missed gears". The worst was, I was pulling away from a standstill, rolled up in first gear to around 6k then kicked into 2nd, gave it a little gas then bang, back into first launching me down the road:( I can report the traction control is very good, luckily I had it set on 2 and it caught the wheelie and wheel spin before I did but it gave my back a nice whack and made me a little reluctant to give it much throttle afterwards as it would be a big issue if for instance, you were exiting a bend in 2nd and accelerating mild to hard and it dropped to first!!!!! Don't know how that would look but I think I'd be taking kawasaki to court after the recovery from hospital. The final nail in the coffin, I got home, put my bike in the man cave (shed:)) and once in the light I notice their are little speckles of dirt/mud everywhere:(

On the bright side, I own possibly the two most exciting motorcycles ever produced:)
You wouldn't get much if anything if you tried to sue Kawasaki. It's right there in your owners manual. "Riding motorcycles is inherently dangers and can lead to injury or death". Or something to that effect. Plus you would have the burden of trying to prove that there was a defect. Good luck with that.

Put the bike away and wait for the nice weather. That's what most of us are doing. Don't end your 2017 riding season before it even gets started.

.....after this, are you sure you want to install supercharger gears? The bike has a lot of power. Just a couple years ago, we were all saying that 180hp of the S1000RR is a handful. Now we've got 240hp plus. hahahahahahahaha bananas.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Now, here's where l the problem lies

Your getting old, your memory is playing up, you think you are running race shift, or is it standard shift, or both:confused:

Your confused, folk aint pulling out on you, they got bored, waiting for you to go past:D

6k, first gear, tc on, what, no launch control:eek:

Not to worry though, we are all here to offer advice and support;)

Rob

·
Registered
625 Posts
Go steady mate, Jesus! Yes, good luck with the full system, remap, stacks and gears....sounds like you badly need them! Jokes apart, I braved the weather at the weekend, not too bad in Derbyshire, gave it the beans from 3rd to 6th and it pulls like a f#cking express train. Mental. This is all stock bar Akra (supplied std in UK) Brock's flash and PCV kit. TBH its all I'll ever need. Ever. Quest for power is done, cant use what I have so anymore (for me) would be just for the pub story. Ohlins for me next, sort and set up my suspension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
503 Posts
gave it the beans from 3rd to 6th and it pulls like a f#cking express train. Mental. This is all stock bar Akra (supplied std in UK) Brock's flash and PCV kit. TBH its all I'll ever need. Ever. Quest for power is done, cant use what I have so anymore (for me) would be just for the pub story. Ohlins for me next, sort and set up my suspension.
Yes, these are a bit crazy, anyone who says they need more power than stock for road riding is full of shite or in the wrong vocation, now thats not to say there is nothing wrong with unleashing the restricted beast though

Why are you going for the Ohlins, personally I think the stock suspension is bar far the best kwak haave put on a road bike and I've had many Kawasaki's over the years, I'v tweaked mine and its spot on for road riding

Rob

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ive had a play around with it Rob, agree, not too bad but I've been spoilt and had Ohlins equipped Blades, ZX14 and ZX10. I just loved the ease of adjustability and feel I got from them as I'm a heavy guy, they seem to work very well with me. Most on here seem reasonably obsessed with chasing max horsepower, I'm good with that, its all about the engine so I get it and did a little chasing myself, plus, let's face it, a good road bike but its never going to be the best on track (check out PB's Michael Rutter H2 test at Mallory 4.5 seconds a lap slower than S10000 let alone losing 2 seconds to a 675) but I still cant help thinking the Ohlins will make my personal set up better. I'll let MCT in Stowmarket do the work and set me up as per previous bikes, they're epic at what they do. Maybe its in my head & I'm brand chasing but will report back if i go for it mate, I certainly wont be investing any more of those wild horses!

·
Registered
702 Posts
It's in your head man.

1,100 of my 1,700 miles are track miles. The suspension is top notch and an Ohlins is overkill/waste of money unless you're racing for a regional championship in the local club races.

No disrespect intended but I seriously doubt you're outriding your stock shock or need more range of adjustment than what it provides.

In your defense though, the Ohlins will provide more ride height and that will aide in initial turn in. But you can get into trouble quick because ride height is inversely proportional to traction in the rear. It's nothing to play with unless you absolutely know what you are looking for as far as setup.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Power not the issue here guys, you know what your bike will do when you power it in any said gear, if that gear suddenly changes it's not a power issue, it's something wrong with the box I think? Yes I will still do gears etc as I do not believe you can have enough power, on the other hand, I have to agree that on the road this bike is more than enough:) I just want more than that but with a gearbox that goes in the gear I want not whatever it think:(

May give the dealer a call tomorrow to see what can be done about that?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Is it at all possible that after the bike has sat for a bit and with the weather and all, you gathered some 'ring rust', as well? Maybe it was just a combo of a cold bike, 'cold' rider, little sloppy shift perhaps? Not trying to offend, Inonly thought of it because I rode my 14R the other day and kinda shorted the 1st - 2nd shift and she popped out in the same manner you describe. After myself and the bike warmed up, it didnt happen again. :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Vmax, if it was that severe then I agree, maybe get it checked. To date I've had no problems with mine, neutral was a pig to start with but seems better now or maybe I got more used to it. Turbo329, watched all your videos and respect what you do, all very good but as they say, opinions are like a#sholes, everyone has one. What floats one mans boat may not float another. I consider the switch will give me greater compliance/damping on the road, not chasing track times, it will never see a track, this opinion is based on previous switches... However, in your defense you could well be correct, I may have been previously switching from basic to high end where now I'm looking at swapping high end for high end. Time will tell and I'll freely admit if I come away underwhelmed. Not pressed the button as yet, just saying if i invest more it will be in that direction not chasing another 30 horse. TBH i was looking at it before the 17 was announced, that kind of strengthened my resolve to get it done, Kawasaki consider it a good upgrade but then again they have to dangle more carrots to potential buyers so the extra jewelry helps...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Well, for a start my attitude to all other road users is "they're out to get me". It's a self-preservation thing.

As for throttle response, I went out yesterday drove down my road and opened her up a little - wtf? where's the power gone? then looked at the dash and spotted that little umbrella. :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well, for a start my attitude to all other road users is "they're out to get me". It's a self-preservation thing.

As for throttle response, I went out yesterday drove down my road and opened her up a little - wtf? where's the power gone? then looked at the dash and spotted that little umbrella. :)

Ahhh Sh*T mode.

I have done about 150 miles so far and had no issues at all. gear box is great but as there has not been many bikers on the UK roads over the winter so most drivers are not looking for bikes. and as Bob said I treat all other road users as out to get me

·
Registered
625 Posts
All true, I had to recalibrate to the bikes grunt and all the daydreaming drivers oblivious to my existence , felt pretty rusty but soon went into defense mode. I've not had the displeasure of selecting the little umbrella Bob, hopefully it will never see rain!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have had Ohlins on my 2012 Bmw s1000rr for 18k miles, and it is a lot better than the stock suspension. The stock suspension would fade a lot when ridden hard at the track. Stock brakes are good for a street bike.

My 2016 zx10r has stock suspension which is very hard, and has not faded yet, but i have not been to the track. The front forks are excellent. Stock brakes are awful!

I am very impressed by the H2 suspension, it seems a lot more compliant than my zx10r, based on road riding, and does remind me of my Ohlins. I am 175lbs. Stock brakes are a lot better than the zx10r, but the bike weighs a lot, and they do fade quite quickly when ridden hard!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Check the adjustment of the shift lever , compared to other bikes you will be leaning into the power more and that moves your foot further from the lever , makes it harder to get a good shift

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hi kawah2, thanks, interesting comparison, maybe its not worth bothering. I will have another play around with the set up and make a decision, its not anything thats urgent for me, just something I considered next. I'm 107kg around 238lbs and the back roads where i live are reasonably bumpy...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Vmax, if it was that severe then I agree, maybe get it checked. To date I've had no problems with mine, neutral was a pig to start with but seems better now or maybe I got more used to it. Turbo329, watched all your videos and respect what you do, all very good but as they say, opinions are like a#sholes, everyone has one. What floats one mans boat may not float another. I consider the switch will give me greater compliance/damping on the road, not chasing track times, it will never see a track, this opinion is based on previous switches... However, in your defense you could well be correct, I may have been previously switching from basic to high end where now I'm looking at swapping high end for high end. Time will tell and I'll freely admit if I come away underwhelmed. Not pressed the button as yet, just saying if i invest more it will be in that direction not chasing another 30 horse. TBH i was looking at it before the 17 was announced, that kind of strengthened my resolve to get it done, Kawasaki consider it a good upgrade but then again they have to dangle more carrots to potential buyers so the extra jewelry helps...

I like your response. You seem like a very level headed guy. ;)

Kawasaki hasn't indicated why they fitted the H2 with Ohlins. Perhaps it was because they find that many people are tracking their H2s. Also, many including myself have written in to Kawasaki voicing feedback that the bike should have ride height adjustment. Maybe they simply listened to the customers. Or maybe they just want to lure more buyers with exotica.

In general, the Ohlins shock is often marketed as a racing/performance oriented shock (note, there are different models of Ohlins but the H2 version is a Performance oriented shock). It simply gives a higher range of adjustability. Ride height included. I'd bet money that damping in general will not be worlds better than what is offered on the standard H2. Consider this, SportRider did a review a few years back of a stock shock fitted with RaceTech components and matched it up against an Ohlins, and the RaceTech shock performed the same if not incrementally better.

As far as damping is concerned, suspension technology has come a long way even for stock equipment, much better than anything RaceTech has ever put out. The Ohlins adds some 'bling factor' for sure, but the stock shock can be set up to be very compliant for road use. I've been wrong before, but I'd go as far to say that the stock shock is probably better suited for the road than the Ohlins.

If you decide to go with Ohlins, it is a quality unit either way, but I wouldn't buy it under the pretense that I'll get road performance head and shoulders better than the stock unit.

Btw, you and I are roughly the same weight.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have had Ohlins on my 2012 Bmw s1000rr for 18k miles, and it is a lot better than the stock suspension. The stock suspension would fade a lot when ridden hard at the track. Stock brakes are good for a street bike.

My 2016 zx10r has stock suspension which is very hard, and has not faded yet, but i have not been to the track. The front forks are excellent. Stock brakes are awful!

I am very impressed by the H2 suspension, it seems a lot more compliant than my zx10r, based on road riding, and does remind me of my Ohlins. I am 175lbs. Stock brakes are a lot better than the zx10r, but the bike weighs a lot, and they do fade quite quickly when ridden hard!

My experience has been the opposite of your 1st and 2nd paragraph here. Stock suspension is usually okay for 15 minute sessions at a track day. Stock brakes tend to fade under abuse. Also, if you're not checking your tires (wear and PSI) regularly, then they too come into play.

Here's a true life proven experience of a shock fading: The 2002 TL1000R had a rotary shock that was placed too close to the rear cylinder. When the bike would warm up, it would heat up the shock which grossly affected the damping characteristics. This is a true example of a stock shock fading.

Privateers have been taking stock Supersport bikes and 1000cc bikes to the track and lapping within 4-5 seconds of the lap record before they even start modifying the bikes brakes, suspension, and engine. I've been on the track with Dane Westby (may he RIP), Guy Martin, loyd Bayley, CCS Expert champions, and some others. So I find it kind of funny when normal guys (myself included) feel that stock suspension is not up to the task. Races have been won and top 10 finishes achieved on stock suspension. Troy Bayliss took a stock 999 and nipped at the (Misano I think) lap record back in 2003 or 2004.

Typically, a shock fades due to age, or some other type of external factor, such as heat like in the case of the TL1000R.

Once upon a time, stock suspension exhibited 'rough' damping characteristics (mostly back in the '90s). However, with the advancement of technology this is no longer an issue for most race replicas. Additionally, on modern suspension there is a big enough range of adjustment to get a decent setup for the road even if you're using the incorrect spring rate. If you pick up the pace, well then you need the correct spring.

Based on your description, maybe what you felt was the tire compound and carcass reacting to coming up to temperature or perhaps that particular psi setting and how it coincided with the weather on that particular day. Ask any expert at the track, it's hard to diagnose what is actually a tire issue or a suspension issue. Coincidentally though, the wear on your tire will usually indicate a suspension setup issue and that's where most experts will look to for answers.

I have seen with my own eyes this 1 rider who rides a 2003 CBR600RR Rat bike with stock suspension and worn out slicks, put a pounding on everyone out that day. It is amazing to watch actually and always serves as a nice reminder to me that "I aint doin' nuthin' out there!" hahahahahahahahahaha

Don't get me wrong, I too will probably get the Ohlins at some point, but mainly because I want the additional ride height adjustment. On the other hand, I might not because I can run a taller 190/60 tire (Bridgestone V01 Slick, Dunlop GPA-Pro) and get that extra 5mm I need for the occasional track day that will make initial turn in easier. So at the end of the day, it's bling factor really. And that's cool too. No problems there.

Just want to add that the whole point of my posts on this subject is just to save you guys some money if you're thinking Ohlins will make that much of a difference in day to day riding. My "opinion" is that it won't. I had Ohlins on my 999R Racebike with bells and whistles and honestly, at speed it felt the same as the Showa that came standard.

If you're running any of the new crop of Supersport or Liter bikes, the stock suspension components are good enough to win races. ...and there is enough range of adjustment to find a good setting for the street. It's not like it was 15 years ago. Anything said otherwise, and I think we're just drinking the cool-aid. :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
There is always some 60+ year old guy on a rat bike, backing it in, and leaving you for dead, to teach you some humility:)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Turbo329 speaks the truth, I am also a frequent track day enthusiast, and at the end of the day, the truly fast guys are fast because of not just the skill of technique implementation, but of adaptation. The fast riders can adapt their style and skill set to suit different levels of componentry. Fast is a way of life, being truly fast on a motorcycle is a lifetime comitment and a way of life, fast doesnt hide in a shock absorber. To attain the next level I have always had to be extremely disciplined about everything from diet to stretching daily. Bling is great, I love bling, but as far as a marked performance gain, an ohlins shock is like dumbos feather, either you can fly without it, or ya cant. ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts