Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a weird experience yesterday while in Mexico.

Cold day 60F bike was running great, went up to 215 mph indicated and it ran fine. Came to my favorite road and gradually went into 6th gear and pinned the throttle at around 200 mph indicated and it just seemed to nose over like WTF are you doing.

Either h2 has never done this before, i have Nates map which is a bit rich but it has been up to 221 mph indicated without issue and then this - weird!

A few miles later in 3rd gear i grabbed a handful and it behaved as expected.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Bad gas?

Bad plug?

What else?

Bike has 7.5k miles, brock ecu, vandemon, sprint air filter , stage 2 gears.... could the cold weather be telling me that i need to install that AEM fuel pump?

Exhaust was the usual black color after the ride.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Also have to consider the bike and rider is pushing against air that is more dense due to its colder temp. Like pushing hard against a wall sometimes it feels like to me. Just thinkin out loud here.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also have to consider the bike and rider is pushing against air that is more dense due to its colder temp. Like pushing hard against a wall sometimes it feels like to me. Just thinkin out loud here.
It felt like something was limiting the engine like a soft limiter on a car as it approaches the cars limited top speed.

Bike has been 234 mph indicated in similar conditions, so it is not limited in any way!

·
Registered
702 Posts
The bike will pull top end timing when the boost temps creep up. They will go up regardless how how cold it is outside.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike will pull top end timing when the boost temps creep up. They will go up regardless how how cold it is outside.
The IAT's were around 220F after the first run, then i ran for a couple miles to cool them down to 150F ready for another blast. Is there also a time delay in the ECU?

You make a good point!

Does the extreme intercooler solve that issue?

Thx

·
Registered
674 Posts
For top end runs like that the intercooler or water inj definitely helps

Another thing is the fuel pump and filter assembly,
its quite possible that its aged enough to begin loosing flow due to wear and filter back pressure
very common on other bikes as they get a few miles or years on them and the symptoms are the same

Basically as the post pump filter (not the pre pump strainer) begins to restrict flow, the pump has to push harder to maintain the 50 psi regulated pressure as the regulator is post filter
then because of the extra load the pump wears faster , eventually it cant keep up with the needs of the bike

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For top end runs like that the intercooler or water inj definitely helps

Another thing is the fuel pump and filter assembly,
its quite possible that its aged enough to begin loosing flow due to wear and filter back pressure
very common on other bikes as they get a few miles or years on them and the symptoms are the same

Basically as the post pump filter (not the pre pump strainer) begins to restrict flow, the pump has to push harder to maintain the 50 psi regulated pressure as the regulator is post filter
then because of the extra load the pump wears faster , eventually it cant keep up with the needs of the bike

The bike is only 5 months old!

So do you think i should install my AEM pump now?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does someone have a picture of the underneath of a stock fuel tank showing the stock fuel pump fitment and where the attachment should be facing for the fuel hose.

Perhaps my mechanic installed it incorrectly and we have a kink in the fuel line?

·
Registered
674 Posts
5 months should be ok, some of the higher milage 2015 bikes could have the potential ,but even then not something to worry too much about for a while yet
flow check finds it pretty quickly and i hope that is a regular service test

attachment only fits in one direction, straight forward , the hard hose would be difficult to kink

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
5 months should be ok, some of the higher milage 2015 bikes could have the potential ,but even then not something to worry too much about for a while yet
flow check finds it pretty quickly and i hope that is a regular service test

attachment only fits in one direction, straight forward , the hard hose would be difficult to kink
Thx for the feedback!

·
Registered
702 Posts
With all due respect to OzBooster (He knows his stuff), you don't need to hack up your fuel pump for stage 2 gears. I've been running it for over a year now and have beat it up on the dyno as well. The stock pump is fine. I've never seen a fuel starvation issue show up at the dyno.

I have a brand new AEM fuel pump sitting on a shelf in my basement and have not yet installed it because there is simply no need.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What were your traction control settings? These bikes spin considerably in a straight line at high speeds... the bike might have tried to save your bacon in a 200 MPH corner.

Brock
Brocks Performance
lol

TC Default settings, which i think is 1, i have never touched them from the factory default settings.

What is weird is i am very gradual with my acceleration, i only punched it above 12k in 5th gear, then into 6th and it just seems to go backwards. The bike was flying in 5th, then into 6th and it just was like i hit the brakes!

15 minutes earlier i did the same think without issue but there was a vehicle, so i had to slow down at 200 mph.

Total bummer perfect cool 60F, 3 mile straight flat road, slight tail wind. IAT's were nice and low to start the run 130F - 140F.

I can't believe it is getting wheel spin with 19-41 gearing so i ordered the 40 and 38 gearing and hub from Ben.

·
Registered
183 Posts
All bikes regardless of gearing have some wheel spin past 200 mph when holding speed or accelerating.

I don't know if your (or any) model compares wheelslip with the IMU, but if it did, when sensing hard acceleration traction control should allow an amount of wheelspin that goes with hard acceleration, but when sensing considerable slip and relatively little acceleration, as happens when losing traction in the rain for example, it could cut power in response. Which at that speed would feel almost like braking.

Even if there's no IMU or it's not involved traction control still makes a lot of sense as a possible cause.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
lol

TC Default settings, which i think is 1, i have never touched them from the factory default settings.

What is weird is i am very gradual with my acceleration, i only punched it above 12k in 5th gear, then into 6th and it just seems to go backwards. The bike was flying in 5th, then into 6th and it just was like i hit the brakes!

15 minutes earlier i did the same think without issue but there was a vehicle, so i had to slow down at 200 mph.

Total bummer perfect cool 60F, 3 mile straight flat road, slight tail wind. IAT's were nice and low to start the run 130F - 140F.

I can't believe it is getting wheel spin with 19-41 gearing so i ordered the 40 and 38 gearing and hub from Ben.
Could have a problem with high RPM clutch slip also?

Here is a video of my stock wheelbase Gen 1 ZX-14 spinning up top at the drag strip:

http://youtu.be/vJABtIDSCys

The vid is obvious, but you don't have to be spinning this much - 10% slip is not noticable by the rider, but the speeds decrease dramatically.

Brock
Brocks Performance

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Here is a video of my stock wheelbase Gen 1 ZX-14 spinning up top at the drag strip:

The vid is obvious, but you don't have to be spinning this much - 10% slip is not noticable by the rider, but the speeds decrease dramatically.

Brock
Brocks Performance

.... but i have my extra special Brock 2016 Clutch springs :)

Next time i will just use 6th gear and be more gradual with my acceleration.

It just seems weird having to do so over 200 mph!

Thx

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
.... but i have my extra special Brock 2016 Clutch springs :)

Next time i will just use 6th gear and be more gradual with my acceleration.

It just seems weird having to do so over 200 mph!

Thx
60 isn't all that warm, good for HP, exasperating a traction problem. Were the other times on warmer days? Could explain traction problems.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

Brock
Brocks Performance
Top of third gear. That's exactly what my H2 did at the Elvington Records meeting last September. :)

This was a standing-mile event where you do two consecutive runs in opposite directions. I had run West to East and was waiting to do the return run when it rained. :eek: Still with TC Off I got it rolling on the wet track and got to the top of third, around 140, when it began to spin. Luckily just after shifting to fourth I ran onto dry track. Got it on to 100% throttle in fifth and sixth and went through the trap at 204mph. I wish I had a video of it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts