Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
My thoughts: Pretty sure that Kawasaki will be using the supercharger technology on other models sooner rather than later. They already hinted that the H2 would herald a raft of new bikes in the Kawasaki range.

They showed the variable vane charger over a year ago and it's a fair assumption that this, or something very like it, will be used.

The model in the photograph is a Photoshop mock-up from the UK's Motorcycle News. Bits of SX and GTR overlaid onto an H2. Motor Cycle News (MCN) are very good at this and they do it quite often. Frankly it's anybody's guess what it will look like but if it's a supercharged 1000cc tourer that narrows it down a little, they could be on the money.

We will find out for sure at the upcoming trade shows.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
That picture is an H2 photochopped with a Concours 14.
I have a Concours14, and would go for a SC sport tourer in a heartbeat. The C14 is a good handling, fast sport tourer, but I ride it with the throttle pinned much if the time. I would love some more power.

·
Registered
702 Posts
My biggest gripe with Kawasaki's SC concept is that the super charger gears don't have a way to avoid the bolts backing out into the clutch. They need to figure out a way to put a bracket-arm; circlip; or some other method in place to avoid the possibility of the gears backing out. Granted, this was all too common on the SC Stage 2 and Stage 3 upgrades due to manufacturing concerns and how those gears sat on the shaft. However, the possibility still exists for the bolt to back out even with the stock SC gears.

Most touring bikes are also high mileage bikes. Which raises the question: have they done any really high mileage tests on the SC unit? There's play concerns on the SC impellers after hard use. I'm interested to see what their maintenance schedule will be for the new bike.

If they ever decide to drop a Supercharged 600cc or 750cc Supersport, I will definitely be all over that. This was supposed to be in the cards. I don't know what ever happened to those concepts.

.....and finally, this is popping up more and more:

Gas powered vehicles banned in London by 2040
Gas powered vehicles banned in Paris by 2030
California is also now considering banning Gas and Diesel powered vehicles

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I would think that the SC sport tourers could easily be tuned for very high milage. The smaller displacement and huge torque available would make for much lighter bikes. And being sport tourers they would not have to spin up as high, allowing higher compression ratios and not near as radical tuning. Like I said, I would buy one in a heartbeat. I have a Concours 14 I put a lot of miles on, just yesterday I went for a 400 mile jaunt, that led me through some of the California burnt areas.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
It's a nice-looking bike,if real.Hard to imagine they'd throw a C-14 fairing on there.The H2 is IMO TOO unique in it's body work to change that much.I wouldn't trade for the 'present' picture.If it retained the H2 look,then maybe.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
AFAICT the bolt-backing-out issue, while theoretically possible with the stock gears, is something that has not happened. The higher load on the supercharger drive mechanism by using aftermarket sprockets to speed up the supercharger makes the installation more critical, and that put it over the edge. If anything, I would imagine that the supercharging would be de-tuned a little in a touring-bike application, putting even less stress on it.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Typical MCN photoshop

Lower fairing, intercooler on, hmm, we will see come November

Rob

·
Registered
393 Posts
Typical MCN photoshop

Lower fairing, intercooler on, hmm, we will see come November

Rob
And it's almost as bag as your typical rag newspapers with guess work. BUT lets hope they are close. As bob said they have been lucky in the past.

Just hope it's not white. all you will get the twats wearing hi viZ Poplight jackets and putting battenbergs on the bike

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AFAICT the bolt-backing-out issue, while theoretically possible with the stock gears, is something that has not happened. The higher load on the supercharger drive mechanism by using aftermarket sprockets to speed up the supercharger makes the installation more critical, and that put it over the edge. If anything, I would imagine that the supercharging would be de-tuned a little in a touring-bike application, putting even less stress on it.
The 'wobble/resonance' from the poor fitment to the shaft of the aftermarket gears seems to be the main issue.

Brock
Brocks Performance

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kawasaki teaser video

Kawasaki Motors
Published on Oct 9, 2017

Third iteration of Kawasaki’s unique supercharged family breaks cover.
Until now the Kawasaki supercharged story has been almost entirely performance focused. For 2018 Kawasaki will unveil a brand new machine at the EICMA show on 7 November utilising balanced supercharger technology to create even greater low to mid-range pulling power.
While none of the exhilarating forced induction performance feeling is missing, this unique power feeling is now joined by superior fuel economy and an overall riding feeling directed towards the sport touring market.

Supercharge your journey with the only manufacturer that can deliver such a machine –be prepared for Sport Touring to accelerate impressively and efficiently into its next exciting phase.

Brock
Brocks Performance

·
Registered
208 Posts

I like the look of that !!

Had a 2015 SX and loved it - it really was a very very good bike .... add a supercharger - wow, that could be a lot of fun.

It would probably sit right in the middle of my current H2 and BMW R1200 RT .... unfortunately I don't have the megabucks most of you on here clearly have :) ..... so one would have to go.

Now that would make it a very big decision :-(

It's going to be an interesting visit to the NEC on 24th November :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't expect (hope) it to look like that. That's a meshup of GTR, SX, ZZR and H2.
Can't wait to see the real deal :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have to say I would have absolutely no interest in this one. My current Sport cruiser Is a ZX14 2009 with over 50,000 miles. When I first got it I had every mod you could do. Then after many long distance rides I realize that all this additional crap was just one more thing to go wrong. The issue was you could be many miles away from anything with no cell service, reliability is key. Give me a ZX14 all day long over this bike there's no replacement for displacement. Now don't get me wrong if they come out with the sutures 200 hp 600cc bike I'll buy it all day long lol just my two cents.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I have to say I would have absolutely no interest in this one. My current Sport cruiser Is a ZX14 2009 with over 50,000 miles. When I first got it I had every mod you could do. Then after many long distance rides I realize that all this additional crap was just one more thing to go wrong. The issue was you could be many miles away from anything with no cell service, reliability is key. Give me a ZX14 all day long over this bike there's no replacement for displacement. Now don't get me wrong if they come out with the sutures 200 hp 600cc bike I'll buy it all day long lol just my two cents.

Exactly! This is why I don't ride my bikes too often. Most of them could have 'potential' issues and getting stranded sucks. lol I would NEVER put a long day on my H2.

A bike that spends most of it's time on the road should have an Exhaust + Tune (just to scratch the mod itch -- because we all love mods) and that's it.

A bone stock ZX14 with saddle bags is a great sporty tourer that can run with pretty much anything on the highway.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I used to feel the same way. But I decided to buy a 2009 Concours 14 (because it was made from the ZX14) and I do like to ride very long distances. The c14 has 85,000 on it. I too have a ZX10R for shorter rides and just love the thing, I don't think it is uncomfortable at all. But the bolt upright seating position, the great wind protection, good leg room, reasonable passenger seating on the C14 make it a pleasure to just get on the thing and go for any distance. And on top of that the thing handles and has a great motor. The thing has put many a sportbike to shame on a twisty road.
Addressing a Kawasaki Sport tourer, I can almost guarantee that if Kawasaki makes a SC sport tourer it is going to be dead dependable. It won't rev like stink, but it will go like stink and it will have torque from Hades. The excuse more to go wrong, pretty much only flies when you heavily modify a bike. Need to go faster than the other guy? I'm betting a Kwak SC ST would be hard to beat.
I bleed green, so my faith in Kwak is, shall we say, biased.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If it looks like this I would buy one in a heartbeat.
I already have an H2 and I love it. But if I could have H2 power and more comfort I'm all for it!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Well,I wouldn't hesitate to go cross-country on my H2.I've modded the seat,and have a Brock's/Guhl setup.It has the 'edge' my 14 doesn't.I've ridden all day with it many times.Never had any worries.It's a great bike and fun to roll on.I'm 6'1".It really does fit me just right.2015 Ninja H2.Every Kawasaki I've had never ever gave an inkling it was gonna fail.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Well,I wouldn't hesitate to go cross-country on my H2.I've modded the seat,and have a Brock's/Guhl setup.It has the 'edge' my 14 doesn't.I've ridden all day with it many times.Never had any worries.It's a great bike and fun to roll on.I'm 6'1".It really does fit me just right.2015 Ninja H2.Every Kawasaki I've had never ever gave an inkling it was gonna fail.
Before I had the C14, I too would not hesitate taking my ZX10 cross country. I would often take it on a 400 mile daily. But I have to say the convenience of saddle bags, adjustable windshield, aftermarket electronic cruise control, and not having to putz with a chain make a Sport Tourer a good alternative. Would I have one as my only bike, I have to say no. It wheelies and runs good, but it is not what makes my blood flow. I am and always have been a superbike guy. And lets face it the H2 is the super of the super. Now having a SC Sport tourer, oh h_ell yes. Lighter weight, big power, more comfort, saddlebags.......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts