Ninja H2 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cruising through the H2 thread over on ZX-10R.net I came across some interesting analysis of the H2 Patent drawings by member @eurichs07. Thought we could all benefit from bringing his insight over.

eurichs07 said:

VARIABLE GEAR SUPERCHARGER - I created a quick colored diagram simply explaining how it works based on Kawasaki's patent WO 2014041947 A1. It is a chain driven supercharger that is built into the back of the crankcase and linked to the transmission. There has also been talk about the bike having a bunch of modes which makes sense for a variable gear supercharger (low boost vs high boost vs possibly automatic based on speed). These patents are very detailed so I don't know why the real deal wouldn't have a variable gear supercharger.

Which fits with some of the speculations I've seen bandied about here. A variable gear blower could at least keep the torque come on semi linear instead of a massive spike that squares and scales in escalation with RPM's.

Will be interesting to see how Kawasaki gets around packaging issues, and how exactly they intend to keep the H2 cool, well besides triple digit speeds ;)

Reactions: McCarthy

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cruising through the H2 thread over on ZX-10R.net I came across some interesting analysis of the H2 Patent drawings by member @eurichs07. Thought we could all benefit from bringing his insight over.

eurichs07 said:

Which fits with some of the speculations I've seen bandied about here. A variable gear blower could at least keep the torque come on semi linear instead of a massive spike that squares and scales in escalation with RPM's.

Will be interesting to see how Kawasaki gets around packaging issues, and how exactly they intend to keep the H2 cool, well besides triple digit speeds ;)
All I know im getting One

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the post. Fits with some of what was written here http://www.ninjah2.org/forum/ninja-h2-news-reviews/1194-how-kawasaki-deals-difficulties-forced-induction.html

Now before we get giddy there are issues with a centrifugal blower as well, namely it delivers boost in direct proportion to the rise in RPM's which means that with a single ratio driven blower the power curve is extremely sharp leading to an almost unrideable experience. There's a reason why most blown bikes are drag specials, forced induction bikes prove tricky to ride off corners because of the modulating power curve.

Thankfully Kawasaki has also considered this. The patent filings would seem to indicate a two speed drive which would allow the crank driven blower to remain in a fairly constant range through the rev range making boost and power delivery more predictable. Even better would be the continuously variable drive mentioned in the same patent application, which would keep the impellers top speed at a constant through the rev range leaving you with a flat and ideal torque curve.
Multi speed superchargers are nothing new to KHI, Kawasaki was building multi speed supercharged fighter jet engines during WWII to combat the effects of diminishing atmospheric pressure on performance. Of course barring an expensive continuously variable drive the power can be mitigated through electronic aids, the ideal setup from a cost efficiency standpoint IMO is a 2 speed drive

·
Registered
278 Posts
Great way to break it down, great find from that forum.

At least at this point we're getting much closer to the show, hopefully when it makes it's debut they go into detail on the engine and cooling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts