Ninja H2 banner

Ninja H2 Paint Protection Wrap

23K views 48 replies 14 participants last post by  H2015 
#1 ·
came across this H2 that's wrapped so good you can't even tell it was wrapped ;)

See less See more
#5 ·
The film is from a company named Suntek. It was chosen because it is thinner than the 3M one, and the installers recommended it (they also sell/install 3M, Xpel, etc.)

I have not seen the finished bike yet, I have to pick it up this week...

Frio

#6 ·
Frio, could you please tell me the details about the plastic wrap? The photo looks like the paint isn't clouded in anyway. Is it that way in real life? Did you do the installation yourself, or hire someone to do it? Could you tell me what brand the plastic is, the thickness, the warranty, how long it would last, and if it can be replaced (safely) with no damage to the paint? If a person wanted to cover all of the painted surfaces, how much plastic would a person need? Is it possible to plan the seams to be in an area where it isn't seen al that much?
Thank you.

#9 ·
Ok, it turns out the bike in the pictures is not mine, it's another H2 being worked on at the same shop.

The owner of the bike in those pictures requested that only a paint protection ceramic coating be applied, therefore the pictures you see do not have any film applied to the bike.

The transparent film in the pictures is only for protection of the parts that do not need the coating to be applied to.

I have requested to have the most exposed parts of my bike wrapped with the film, and then all the painted surfaces (including the ones protected by the film) coated with the ceramic coating.

I do not have any pictures of my bike with the film applied to it yet, the owner of the company who provides the service assures me that it is essentially impossible to see the film, unless you get close enough to see the seams where it is cut.

Frio

#12 ·
:)

The shop owner told me they were working on a second H2 (coating only), and that the pictures were of that one.

It turns out we were not talking about the same pictures, so when I told him that the picture description read "being wrapped in paint protection film", he conceded that it was actually my bike there :)

Frio

#13 ·
Okay Frio I take it back. You have to admit it was funny the way the two posts were done.

#16 ·
I picked up the bike today, the shop has done a fantastic work.

The film is completely invisible, you have to get very close to the bike to see the few places where it had to be cut.

The color is absolutely identical between the parts covered with the film and the parts that weren't, and the whole bike (all the painted parts) has been coated with a product named "Ceramic Pro".

I can only recommend this...

Frio

#20 ·
I've posted about this before but since it's a big forum, a refresher for those who may have missed that posting wouldn't hurt.
Since I didn't want to worry about paint, this is what I decided to do instead of the Dr Beazly fix. I had my H2 (almost) completely done with Expel clear bra. If I could figure out how to load pictures to the site bigger than 19kb, I would post pictures. (if anyone can help me with that, please advise how you do it.)
You can't tell the clear bra is really there unless you look very close (as in where they did the cutouts for the emblems and decals). Even that melds in with a little exposure to the sun.
Since Expel is a difficult medium to work with, I decided to have the work done professionally by a shop that specializes in this sort of thing. It wasn't cheap but then neither was the H2. The clear bra material has a ten year warranty on fading, peeling, cracking, hazing, pretty much anything that can happen to it. The warranty includes the cost of installation which is a plus.
I can now ride the bike without worrying about squeezing the tank with my legs, bug splat, rock chips, spilled gasoline or brushing against the paint which will scratch if you look at it. The Expel is tough stuff.
I am in the Los Angeles area so the installer I used would probably be of little use to the forum as a whole. I am sure others have already looked at the Expel application. If anyone is interested, their website:
https://www.xpel.com/products/Tools_preview.asp?subcat=Aftercare Products&pn=R1326
should be able to hook one up with a local installer. The link takes you to the page which advertises the bra protection application (I found it thanks to another forum member). It works well to protect the protector.

#21 ·
The film that was applied to my bike is not Xpel, the installers recommended the Suntek film instead.

3M, Xpel and Suntek all make excellent quality products, the Suntek is apparently slightly thinner, which makes it easier to install on the angular surfaces of the H2 front bodywork.

The Suntek installation comes with 5 years warranty, and can be replaced at any time with no damage to the paint whatsoever.

The installers told me it will not fade for 10 years or so, as they have installed the film on cars that used everyday and left outside in all weather condition, and it lasted more than 5 years in those applications.

The additional Ceramic Pro coating is 100 times thicker than wax, it also lasts approximately 5 years, it is hydrophobic (washing the bike is now super easy, no need for the ultra precautions) and also supplements the factory clear coat, so any scratches can be polished several times without touching the original clear coat.

Frio

#23 · (Edited)
My buds at Detailing Dynamics (best in the clear film business) wrapped the entire tank for me today. Everything is custom cut.... I only had time for the tank seeing how it was the most important to me to get done because of my jeans, leather jacket. Usually they're booked out a month min. I didn't have an appt. but swung by & my buddy took care of it while I waited. If you do film its important to have it done asap. They've done 7 cars for me over the last 12 years with different clear film products, 3M, Venture, etc. I don't bring new cars home, right from the dealership to DD. I own 2 cars currently w/ 3M across the entire front end & behind the wheels but we selected xpel for the bike. Think I'll have one of my cars redone w/ it. It's "self healing". They took a wire brush and scratched it then using a little heat (or sun) the scratches disappeared. There's always some pretty nice cars in the shop for partial or full wraps plus some custom work.

#24 ·
2nd visit to Detailing Dynamics to finish the expel film. 1st time was a favor to slip into the schedule/the whole tank was covered. Today was to cover the front fender & all painted surfaces on front of the bike (plus headlight) and side fairings. Took about a half hour of prep (to remove the mirrors, trim pieces) & about 2 hours for the application w/ 2 guys doing the work. As always from DD it came out incredible IMO. I was pleased that the film laid so flat over the green decals above the headlight. All pics below are after film was applied :

[URL=http://s39.photobucket.com/user/StradaleF1/media/image.jpg5_zpsf35l5gis.jpg.html]

[/URL]

[URL=http://s39.photobucket.com/user/StradaleF1/media/image.jpg2_zpsyf75r6oj.jpg.html]

[/URL]

#27 ·
Thanks! Unfortunately just 1 shop in Mineola Long Island.... If you look at the Kawasaki emblem on the tank you can see the border of the film (you can see in the pics below) but other than removing the emblem (which I don't think is a good idea) that's the only way to do it. Other than that area it's really difficult to even tell the work was done. Having the right material is important but after looking at hundreds of these jobs over the years, from different levels of installers/expertise on cars the way it comes out IMO is really about who's doing the installation. These guys get the highest end cars shipped to them from all over the country so I'm lucky to be 10 minutes away.

So far I've stayed away from spot cleaning the bike whatsover till I could wash it properly because the paint is so reflective & really prone to showing scratches. What I REALLY like about having the film besides protecting against chips is now I can use a spay detailer and clean up my lightly dusted bike or clean fingerprints without having to worry about micro scratching the paint.

#33 ·
MF41/H2-72-15, Thank you for telling us about the plastic on your bike. There was a lot of useful information. I am not a very good computer person, but I heard the people telling this person that the way to load a picture was to leave the "s" off of http. I hope this works for you. If it doesn't work, maybe a good computer person could help him load pictures.

#35 ·
Clear Bra

Just got my bike back yesterday from having the clear bra installed and I must say it far exceed my expectations. I did a lot of research and found the film I wanted used (SunTek) and then found the best shop in San Diego, wasn't hard I just followed the Ferraris/Porsches/Lamborghinis.. Came to find out that this shop (Modern Image) did all the graphic image wraps for the Fast & Furious movies, so I knew I was in good hands.

So it was a huge job, they had 2 guys working on it for 2 days. Had the entire front faring wrapped, front wings + lights, headlight, entire front fender, entire side fairings + those little winglet extentions, entire gas tank (I purchased new Kawi decals to put on), + those vent panels that cover the front of the tank, and the top & sides of the tail section.

Apparently the SunTek clear bra is way thicker and more durable than your normal paint wrap. And I came to find out that it is "self healing" when scratched, check out his short video on that:

Bunch of pics down below, all pics taken after the clear bra was installed. As you know really hard to take images of this bike because of the mirror reflection it gives.

Tip: if you "roadrace" like I do with my guys in the canyons and take on shrapnel while doing battle, 2 other places you want to protect from pitting; the bottom of your forks where the pinch bolts are..cover area with black duck tape before you go out, and the other area is the top of your fork tubes will get very pitted, I wrap that using sheets of Snider's Paint Guard.

#37 ·
Couldn't find anyone in the uk willing to do it to mine, no patterns apparently.
My shop didn't have patterns either, the cut from scratch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.