Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year the Ninja H2 and the Ducati Panigale 1299 will be competing in the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb for the first time. Both bikes will be looking to break some records.

The current record holder is the Ducati Multistrada 1200 ridden by Carlin Dunne in 9:52.819 in 2012. The question is if the H2 or the Panigale 1299 can destroy this record. The H2 brings 200 horsepower to the table, while the Panigale 1299 is holding onto a good 200 hp of its own.

All will be revealed at the 93rd Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, which takes place on June 28th. Do you guys think that the H2 and get itself a record?

Kawasaki Ninja H2 and Ducati 1299 Panigale S Up for Pikes Peak Glory - autoevolution

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hard to say, but the torque delivery of the H2 will serve it well. There's a lot of tight turns that require you to gas it hard out of the turn.
If they are able to decrease the weight of the bike that would certainly help.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think the 1299 will win overall, the difference in weight is enormous.

Unless they race-prepare the H2, that is...

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Regardless if it breaks a record or not, I am just excited to see how it does. I'm sure that it will make a good run at the record, but breaking it will be difficult. Is there room for the H2 to lose weight still? I thought they basically made it as light as possible to begin with.

·
Registered
554 Posts
That jt run was incredible.. not sure why I thought the e bike came later.. And that it beat the 10r. That's a smoking time
I made an error, top time ever is 9'52.... my god... I thought that Toye run was mega, would love to see this one...(on a fucking multistrada)

Shattering the 10 minute lap barrier to the summit, Carlin Dunne made a repeat victory and course record with his 9’52.819 run on the Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Pikes Peak race bike.
PPIHC: Motorcycles Shatter 10 Minute Barrier at Pikes Peak

dont know why wiki doesnt list it though?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think H2 takes the cake, there's something like a 20-40% drop off in power as they make their way up the mountain...that extra going to come in handy at the top IMO...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Regardless if it breaks a record or not, I am just excited to see how it does. I'm sure that it will make a good run at the record, but breaking it will be difficult. Is there room for the H2 to lose weight still? I thought they basically made it as light as possible to begin with.
I'm sure they cut as much weight as they could where possible. I'm thinking that the big honkin exhaust weighs 25-30 lbs. Shedding that will be a good start. Other than that I'm not sure where else other than wheels and battery you could shed weight. You could start to remove all unnecessary components not to effect the basic function of the bike such as all lighting and associated wiring, emissions stuff, etc.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My take.
The H2 will maintain it's power better with the elevation increase.
The Duc will put it's power down way better exiting corners - and it's lighter.

I think the Duc takes it but only by a little bit.

G

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm sure they cut as much weight as they could where possible. I'm thinking that the big honkin exhaust weighs 25-30 lbs. Shedding that will be a good start. Other than that I'm not sure where else other than wheels and battery you could shed weight. You could start to remove all unnecessary components not to effect the basic function of the bike such as all lighting and associated wiring, emissions stuff, etc.
x2 any weight they can cut will do wonders for this bike and then there's the rider, i might have to start hitting the gym

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think two of the easy and immediate weight saving exercises they can do to the H2 are:
1) Change the exhaust to a race one, which is much lighter
2) Change the wheels from cast to forged, or to a different material, such as magnesium or carbon fiber

Frio

·
Registered
281 Posts
Interesting, I was reading the Pikes Peak rulebook, and it states that motorcycles must be normally aspirated, and that supercharging and turbocharging are not allowed...

·
Registered
587 Posts
I made an error, top time ever is 9'52.... my god... I thought that Toye run was mega, would love to see this one...(on a fucking multistrada)

PPIHC: Motorcycles Shatter 10 Minute Barrier at Pikes Peak

dont know why wiki doesnt list it though?
Amazing. That e bike weighs as much or more than h2 and it wrecked it. But... It has 0 power loss at elevation..

Edit by wrecked it I mean the pike course not the h2 so relax everybody lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts