Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ohlins TTX GP shock
this one is made in their Sweden factory for the race circuit, not made in their Taiwan plant for the dealer bikes. Looking forward to seeing how it feels compared to the OEM shock. Will have a chance to test it out at Chuck Walla next Fri and then Willow Springs 2 days later on Sunday. I'll keep you posted any differences I notice.

and here's the stock shock that came off

·
Registered
393 Posts
as above straight bolt on ? looks the mutts

Reactions: racer172

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was this a direct bolt on or did you have to modify the chassis to get it to fit?
straight bolt on, and the OEM shock just dropped straight down out the bottom. Took my guy about 15 min. I'd say as I helped him feed the bolts through.

Reactions: Jeffro

·
Registered
376 Posts
Mine arrived today, will fit next week, interested to see what you think ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey mate good to hear. Interesting what Racer172 says about the factory bikes getting Taiwan Ohlin shocks. I would be doing as he has done, making sure I get the Sweden manufacture. What supplier did you use? And price ?
Cheers mate
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sick! Definitely need to get me one. Looking forward to hearing the results.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hey Nola/Jeffro, mine has come as a factory order from Sweden cost £1195 and in my humble opinion (irrespective of performance) makes the OEM item look like a piece of sh#t I spoke to my dealer and he claims the Taiwan v Sweden comments are unfounded as too much is riding is on Ohlins reputation and all are built to the same standard. I guess the truth lies somewhere in between...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hey Nola/Jeffro, mine has come as a factory order from Sweden cost £1195 and in my humble opinion (irrespective of performance) makes the OEM item look like a piece of sh#t
Bling, bling, lol

Rob

·
Registered
625 Posts
No mention of Taiwan, urban myth ? : Öhlins currently employs 320 people and is headquartered in Upplands Väsby, Sweden, where the main R&D departments and production site are also located. Öhlins also has branches offices and subsidiaries worldwide: Auto Norden and Öhlins CES in Sweden, Öhlins Asia in Thailand, Öhlins Distribution/Technical Centre in Germany, Öhlins USA in North Carolina, .

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Also looking forward to your review Terry.

How about a pic from the right side of the shock installed? Tried to find a pic of the Ohlins on the 17 H2 but couldn't.

Re: Sweden or Tawain, can't speak to the differences w/ Ohlins but I have no doubt seen quality differences in other products in similar situations... I'm a long time gun collector and see it there as well w/ the same exact model where the manufacturers headquarters is in Germany or w/ another model w/ headquarters in Italy & the versions made elsewhere are not only slightly less desirable but you can see & feel slight differences. You see it w/ some cars made in different countries/plants.. See it when companies move out of the USA to manufacturer in Asia or Mexico to save labor costs & the product is never the same. ...Companies try extremely hard to make consistent products, I did w/ my co. manufacturing both domestically & Internationally but there are almost infiniate variables; the quality of the labor, the machinery, vendors/sourcing, costs, Q.C., etc. etc. which can create slight differences in a manufactured product..

But isn't the shock on the 2017 the TTX36 & this is the newer, slightly more evolved TTX GP?

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
They really are a lovely piece of kit:)

Dont know if you would notice any benefit on the road (please let us know) as the oe shock is pretty dam good

Rob
I've found the stock shock to be harsh and unyielding on the bad pavement that is typical of the backroads around here. I've been looking into getting the internals revalved. I suspect the problem is too much high-speed compression damping, and that requires fiddling with the internal shim stack.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hey Nola/Jeffro, mine has come as a factory order from Sweden cost £1195 and in my humble opinion (irrespective of performance) makes the OEM item look like a piece of sh#t I spoke to my dealer and he claims the Taiwan v Sweden comments are unfounded as too much is riding is on Ohlins reputation and all are built to the same standard. I guess the truth lies somewhere in between...

Yes just visually isn't any comparison, the Ohlin certainly looks the part. An expert suspension guy that has set up few my bikes told some time ago...No doubt Ohlins are the best, quality through and through every component is premium manufacture, I agree a work of art. However.... visually the KYB looks inferior but in reality probably very close in its actual performance. It's really the valving that needs tuning for each individual rider and application, just like the Ohlin needs to be. I know of people that changed to so called better suspension and went backwards in riding performance! They were under the illusion of better suspension faster lap times - WRONG! After in some cases going back to OEM they rode better again, and other times some fine tuning sorted that newer suspension out. Very pretty though if someone gave it to me I would use it but me I am quite happy with high end KYB tuned to my application.

As Stradale mentioned of course the consistency of manufacture changes according to where it was manufactured, seen it many times with tyres from same manufacturers but made in different locations. I think it's all what YOU think...if whatever it is keeps you in good headspace then psychologically that will work for YOU!
Very exciting stuff!
Jeffro ;)

Edit- As another afterthought if your going to spend a lot of money on a bike, you can't go past spending on suspension, certainly very wise spending.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Is this where you're going next?

**** it man! You had to post that! Know that's all I can think about! Lol that will have to wait for the winter project cuz I'm Neck deep in up fitting a new Husky FE501 I just picked up to be a crazy Super Moto >:D

Reactions: STRADALE

·
Registered
702 Posts
I think a lot of you might be thinking about rumours circulating around from a few years ago.

One rumor was that the Ohlins that came standard on certain bikes (Aprilia RSV Mille, R1, and other bikes) weren't the same as the high quality units from Sweden.

No one has ever confirmed but there was talk circulating (if my memory serves me correct) that differences in ride quality could be felt in Ohlins units that came on special edition bikes vs. buying direct from the swedish factory or retailers.

A comment was made regarding the KYB having harshness (high speed compression damping) but I have not felt that and my roads are pretty bad. You might be running a stiff setup and should try softening things up. (Where's your sag at, what's your weight, and how many clicks of high/low compression are you at now? Do you have the right spring?) That stock H2 KYB unit is high quality and on Ohlins/Penske level. I've ridden on pretty much all suspension so I am speaking from experience. If you are 160lbs and the KYB is sprung for a 200lb rider, yeah it's going to feel harsh, especially if you compare it to an Ohlins that you buy with the correct spring rate sprung for your weight. I'm 225lbs right now, so maybe that's why it doesn't feel harsh to me. Just my $0.02 It might not be the shock but your spring rate needs to be changed. The difference comes down to a $100 spring mod vs splurging on a $1,500 shock.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
too many members to post quote here so I'll just reply in general..
First of all the OEM shock on your bike is not bad, I've been riding it hard on both the track and street and haven't had many complaints. However Kawi did feel that this was one of the areas that needed improving on the '17 so the Ohlins does come OEM on the H2 now (I have no idea which shock that is). I decided to upgrade the shock for 2 reasons; one to see if I can overcome that tire shredding (unusual tire wear) I've been getting on the track as it has been suggested that I have suspension issues causing it, and 2 I was to see how good good can be. We'll see.

This shock is made for the race circuit; MotoAmerica/British Superbike/World Superbike. Someone asked where did I get the good stuff..my builder:
Next Level Cycles https://www.facebook.com/NextLevelCycles/
[email protected]
(619) 208-9098

On the topic of quality.. just before we installed the shock I asked my guy how can you tell this shock was made in the Sweden factory? He picked up the shock and pointed to the area I've circled in red and said look at this machine work, the quality.. That didn't completely answer the question but it did clue me in on some things to look for. I then picked up the OEM shock and that same area just looked massproduced. And yes I know these aren't even the same manufacturer but again it's what to look for.

I think Gregg was asking to see a pic from the right side:

crappy pick here, sorry, but this is under on the right side:

I'm headed over to my guy's shop this morning to set the sag/tune the suspension and then I'm headed right out to the canyons. I'll give you my initial thoughts when I get back, but I'll really know where it's at after next weekend's trip to Chuck Walla & Willow Springs.

Reactions: STRADALE
1 - 20 of 47 Posts