·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
spot the mod...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
New Brembo master?Nope.That thingy on there...gotta be.No idea what it is though!Handlebar quickshifter?(well,mounted to the fork tube)...I'm warm aren't I...

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and foot brake pedal gone..

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why would you want a thumb brake? I understood the reasoning for dirt bikes, but for H2?
What’s the benefit of removing the pedal? .
I use my H2 as a roadracing bike, both on the track and the canyons. A thumb brake to control the rear brake is very common on roadracing bikes, look at any racing bikes up in MotoGP and you will see it on the left handlebar, I've seen them on Isle of Man bikes as well. The only reason you won't see them in certain race classes is because the mod is not aloud because it is not stock to the streetbike. As I've gone faster at the track I've started using the rear brake to keep the front end down going over off-camber turns while not having to let off the gas. Also applying a touch of the rear brake as you are getting on the gas in a corner helps "lengthen the chassis," it's a feel that is hard to describe, just trust me it helps you go faster, but it's not easy to learn. And if you'd ever tried using the rear brake while leaned over in a right-hand turn you'd know why I removed the foot peddle. If you are not a roadracer then there isn't any advantage of this mod for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also applying a touch of the rear brake as you are getting on the gas in a corner helps "lengthen the chassis," it's a feel that is hard to describe, just trust me it helps you go faster, but it's not easy to learn. And if you'd ever tried using the rear brake while leaned over in a right-hand turn you'd know why I removed the foot peddle. If you are not a roadracer then there isn't any advantage of this mod for you.
I know this well from riding the dirt, applying the rear brake and throttle together keeps the top side of the drive chain under constant tension, takes out all the slack, straightens the chassis, controls the slip angle. Drive torque is instantly available by regulating the brake; the other leg extended or dabbing. To do that in a right turn, you need a bar mounted rear brake obviously. But I didn't know this was used on the road race track, I never used the rear brake with engine torque there. How to do this hung off skimming the knee I've not gotten my head around yet.

When the pros are "backing it into the corner" as Scott Russel would say, are they using this technique, rear brake and throttle together? Is it really the fast line through the turn or is it more of a late braking move? I suspect the latter.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Funny how we are all different

Dont use the rear brake at all on track, well apart from when I run onto the grass;)

Rob
yeah most don't. Do you have any off-camber turns on the track you ride? if so you roll off the throttle as you crest over the top as to keep weight on the front end and not to crash..right? Try not letting off the throttle and slightly depressing the rear brake peddle, it will weight the front end just as if you rolled off the throttle.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
"And if you'd ever tried using the rear brake while leaned over in a right-hand turn you'd know why I removed the foot peddle."

The same reasoning for a race change. Pressing down to select a higher gear while still at maximum lean in a left hand bend is no problem - but getting your foot under the lever is hazardous.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I grew up as a flat tracker and that is the only brake we had. Spoolie in the front. I have always used the rear brake for control of the bike. I use it everywhere, initial braking, mid turn, even coming out of a turn to control the power. I usually wear out the rear pads before the fronts.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"And if you'd ever tried using the rear brake while leaned over in a right-hand turn you'd know why I removed the foot peddle." The same reasoning for a race change. Pressing down to select a higher gear while still at maximum lean in a left hand bend is no problem - but getting your foot under the lever is hazardous.
correct on both accounts.

I have always used the rear brake for control of the bike. I use it everywhere, initial braking, mid turn, even coming out of a turn to control the power. .
Yes, which brings up a good point that I should have mentioned earlier; applying the rear brake helps you turn the bike, as you drag it the front end comes around easier, which is why pro racers use it in every turn. Here's an easy test; when you are at a stoplight intersection and about to make a U-turn, as you approach the intersection do not use the front brake, but rather drag the rear as you still apply a little bit of gas. This will allow you to make a tighter/quicker U-turn under complete control.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts