Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is David Miller, and just put $2,500 deposit on 2017 H2 (my third Ninja). Been riding since I was 14 Years old - 37 years of riding- so I quess I’m an old man (started in mostly dirt with a Hodaka 125 Wombat, and when parents were not looking, rode on street) Got caught once. Did not see mom coming up hill, and I took off right in front of her She knew it was me, so let’s just say when I got home, it was not fun.
Basically, a sport bike rider since 1994 with a ZX-9R, but needed a bike for long trips, and one my girlfriend would like to ride on – she does not like riding on my Ninja. I like her on it because she as to lean on my back, the two touch points as you can imagine feel very nice - so ok I’m now a dirty old man. so, I also have a 2016 Yamaha FJR1300A that I will use on long trips.
Live in Seattle, WA – but dealer said $15K + $1K accessories credit for the FJR – oh they added $1,288 freight, assembly and servicing fee, $300 installation for top case, and dealer fee of $299.50. Bought the bike at a dealer in Oregon with NO Fees out the door.
Now a general question. The dealer I did not purchase the FJR from but ordered my H2 through says that besides the $195 Dealers fee, I’ll have to pay $2,000 for freight, assembly and servicing fee. While I understand the destination (freight) fees, I have never been charged above and beyond what most would consider a reasonable “service fee” in preparing a motorcycle for use. Has anyone else been hit with this distasteful practice?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I can't help with your specific question but had to put down a 1k deposit to secure my bike. The total in the Uk was 22k. Which included my road tax. apart from that I never had to pay anything on top for any bike. They shipping to the dealer, and assembly was included in the total agree fee in the UK.

So unless others in the US have had to pay on top of the total price I think they are taking the pee

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sounds like a rip off to me mate. He wouldn't get my business if it was me. I was charged a token fee (couple hundred dollars fee) for getting the bike ready to take home after purchase.
Good luck with it though.
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Don't know about other UK owners but I was charged no additional costs on top of the advertised sales price

To be fair, my kwak dealer sourced my tail tidy, radiator guard and paddock stands for me, got a discount on them and they fitted the tail tidy free of charge

Rob

·
Registered
625 Posts
Sounds like a bad deal to me...I agree with the other UK guys, I basically used my 2014 ZX14 as a trade in against a new 2016 H2 and had the remainder on 0% finance (amazing deal IMO) there were no hidden charges whatsoever, just a small home delivery fee (my choice as dealer 170 miles away) and the discounted H2 Ninja paddock stands and tank protector i chose as options. Unless things work very differently in the US I would walk away and source elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do not wish to jeopardize order, but

Thank You for your input. Yes, I thought there was a rat in the woodpile.
I sent a letter to Mr. Bill Jenkins, Senior Vice President of Sales, Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A., asking that either my H2 be shipped to another dealer, or I be allowed to take delivery “AS SHIPPED”, and prepare it myself. That was three weeks ago, and as yet no response.
I do not wish to jeopardize my order, but I’m thinking of sending a note to the Kawasaki Group Sales who sent me my confirmation notice. Think I can pull this off? FYI This dealership has never sold an H2

·
Registered
277 Posts
Just checked my sales order, aside from the price of bike I had:
Prep & Assembly $395
Destination $395
Documentation Free $100
Delivery $400

The bike was price really competitively so I didn't complain at all. If I was paying MSRP I would have had bigger issues.

Is there a reason you're stuck with that particular bike from that particular dealer? I would try to get your deposit back and go elsewhere. 2016s are still fairly easy to find new, so I don't think you'll miss out on a 2017 by looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
HAHA, he is screwing you. Anytime a dealer adds a "prep fee" or for Ducati a "setup fee" that a number the manufacturer specifically denotes as pure profit for a dealer, along with their holdback. Pure profit from you to the dealer.

Also, call Kawi customer service number.

NOLA

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2017 order set for Feburary

WOW! This is really cool, again I very much appreciate all your input. I’ve worked with KHI for many years, being a Flight Test Engineer, and I know they not only make fantastically engineered products but this company is very honorable. In fact, I just received an email from Kawasaki Sales that Mr. Jenkins (VP of Sales in North America) is looking into the matter. I’m paying full MSRP, and in the past when I paid the asking price they would give me a number of accessories (rear wheel stands, tank bras, helmets) Anyway I’ll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just checked my sales order, aside from the price of bike I had:
Prep & Assembly $395
Destination $395
Documentation Free $100
Delivery $400

The bike was price really competitively so I didn't complain at all. If I was paying MSRP I would have had bigger issues.

Is there a reason you're stuck with that particular bike from that particular dealer? I would try to get your deposit back and go elsewhere. 2016s are still fairly easy to find new, so I don't think you'll miss out on a 2017 by looking elsewhere.
Sounds like you got the short straw too!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Here in the UK the ticket price is usually what you pay, it's an "on the road" price. Charging extra to do the pre-delivery inspection etc is unheard of. The only other thing we pay for is the road tax.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Sounds like you got the short straw too!
I guess I should've mentioned, "delivery" was a legit fee in this case since the bike was getting shipped from NY to Indiana.

The price of the bike was $22K so with these fees on top of it I was still getting a fantastic deal. I didn't really care how the broke down in terms of bike price vs dealer fees, I was just looking at the OTD price.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
$1k under msrp out the door is was what I paid for my new 2015. Msrp + $2195 is really a one sided deal in favor of the dealer.

Just like w/ the 15's & 16's eventually there will be new 17's available from dealers for $1-$3k under so if you pay msrp + $2195 that could be as much as $3-$5k over what you could pay if you waited for bikes to become available. Deals/financing fall through all the time & the dealership needs to unload these bikes, that's how I got mine.

But if you didn't want to wait for that to happen & wanted to stick w/ the deposit/delivery from a specific dealership msrp plus $600 (max) is a deal that the majority of dealerships in the US would be happy to accept. Like I said msrp + $2195 is taking advantage, make some phone calls (or if possible visits) to other dealerships & see what you could work out.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I guess I should've mentioned, "delivery" was a legit fee in this case since the bike was getting shipped from NY to Indiana.

The price of the bike was $22K so with these fees on top of it I was still getting a fantastic deal. I didn't really care how the broke down in terms of bike price vs dealer fees, I was just looking at the OTD price.
Yeh that's true, overall price is of course the most Important. Dealers will always try their best to screw every single dollar out of you. Here in general the price is the price, moving it to other dealers and all those charges wouldn't happen here. For example last year when I wanted a H2, the only H2 supplier was in another state ( more than a thousand kms away) they were going to bring it to my city no charge to sell it to me. You guys in US are lucky really, here in Australia we always have to pay more for our bikes regardless of deals or no deals/discounts. However I think the bikes that come here are the Euro spec bikes and from what I understand - better. The ECU is different and already has immobiliser as standard for example. Our fuel here is one highest qualities in the world so we are fortunate that way too. The lowest fuel octane rating these days here is 95 RON but 98 is the norm & extremely common. We used to have standard unleaded at 91 RON up these days you don't see it anymore. So even though we pay premium prices we get the best fuel available.
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update on H2 Order. At my age, it’s considered “bonus round” time, and I’m looking so forward to being there for the unpackaging and prepping for delivery my H2: what a really exciting experience. I do not want anything to interfere or spoil this very special moment (at least to me). Yeah, I’m out there – listening over and over to “pure sound” at the Isle of Man TT; red lined in line fours exhaust notes bouncing of the walls of buildings lining the course is really my type of music, and the H2’s I’ve heard are orgasmic. Thelonious Monk is really close, as is the whining of a 6-71 supercharger, they make my bones feel warm. I did broker a T-38 for my company to purchase, and that exhaust note in after burn is really nice, and when working with the Navy I tried to get a ride from Florida to Patuxent River in an F-18 (to no avail) To me this bike is an art form. My wife understands, but she is a shrink, and understands these character flaws. My mistress does not get it at all, but that is ok because that is not her function. Just a little self-disclosure that other H2 owner may relate too (I saw some forum posts asking about what type of person loves the H2). Anyway, from the tone of the message I’m receiving from the Kawasaki Group they are not happy with how this particular dealer and are intervening on my behalf.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
@milled441

Prozac might be in order if you cant make it there when they take the cardboard off. You might be dwelling a bit much on this :)

(all in good fun)

Please keep us updated on what goes on between Kawi and the stealership, this is interesting.

NOLA

·
Registered
376 Posts
Update on H2 Order. At my age, it’s considered “bonus round” time, and I’m looking so forward to being there for the unpackaging and prepping for delivery my H2: what a really exciting experience. I do not want anything to interfere or spoil this very special moment (at least to me). Yeah, I’m out there – listening over and over to “pure sound” at the Isle of Man TT; red lined in line fours exhaust notes bouncing of the walls of buildings lining the course is really my type of music, and the H2’s I’ve heard are orgasmic. Thelonious Monk is really close, as is the whining of a 6-71 supercharger, they make my bones feel warm. I did broker a T-38 for my company to purchase, and that exhaust note in after burn is really nice, and when working with the Navy I tried to get a ride from Florida to Patuxent River in an F-18 (to no avail) To me this bike is an art form. My wife understands, but she is a shrink, and understands these character flaws. My mistress does not get it at all, but that is ok because that is not her function. Just a little self-disclosure that other H2 owner may relate too (I saw some forum posts asking about what type of person loves the H2). Anyway, from the tone of the message I’m receiving from the Kawasaki Group they are not happy with how this particular dealer and are intervening on my behalf.
Man are you in some sort of state! That's awesome, being so excited before you even get it is really something. I can tell you as a relatively new owner (just now first service is due) you will NOT be disappointed! Every time I ride this bike there's something else I realise about it that's different from all others I have had. My recent one is because I am running it in I am not riding it nearly as fast as I normally would but ( here is the strange part) it's still very exciting to ride regardless. Just being on this thing, the particular noise from the engine and supercharger, it's vibrations, its presence and brakes are just out of this world! And then the look of it, everyone can't help themselves but to comment on how good it looks.
Savour the moment and enjoy your self, but the excitement will be nothing until you actually start to use this engineering marvel...
Good on you and good day...
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank You Jeffro, I glad I'm not the only social deviant ;-) . As I get older I find that not as many things set my blood a boil, but this H2 that Kawasaki has produced seems to awaken a very pleasant feeling of impending thrills.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thank You Jeffro, I glad I'm not the only social deviant ;-) . As I get older I find that not as many things set my blood a boil, but this H2 that Kawasaki has produced seems to awaken a very pleasant feeling of impending thrills.
Your welcome David Thankyou for the comments, and Thankyou for the pm it's all good and nice to hear. I always get excited to hear someone else so passionate about the feeling that these machines give us! Great to chat with someone mature on the forum. I am also very very passionate about not only riding, but the art and craft of riding (especially cornering of course!). The power and sensation of riding these h2s don't compare much even after owning two very quick Hayabusas and past road racing competition it somehow doesn't compare. I am actually enjoying riding mine even at modest speeds (running in right now) which on any other bike was pretty boring, which I find very stimulating....
Anyway please keep me updated with your new toy....it's gonna be gooooood! :D
Regards
Jeffro (Downunder) ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts