Ninja H2 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My name is Pete & I just joined the group and am still currently running in my new 2017 H2 :) it's great to see an owners forum for these bikes and there is some good info on here from what I've seen so far

first question though - why do we have to run these motors in ? Its nothing but a real pain in the a$$ and spoiling my first experience of it, the bike is very uncomfortable when your pottering about at under 4k revs for 600 miles - gave me back and wrist ache because your going so slowly you hardly move about on it and not a great way at all to get used to the bike for the first time.

did everyone else also think this ? why did Kawasaki not do this for us on a dyno following the motor build like some others do, wouldn't have been hard for them considering the numbers that are produced.....

On the plus side it forced me to come up with a lowering footpegs solution as there were none at all out there (this will be my first main post in the forum) - cant believe since 2015 no one came up with rearsets that drop the pegs instead of raise them ! Anyway I've solved that now and hope it benefits all the others on here that are over 6 foot tall :) Next thing on my list is 1" bar risers....

Anyways nice to meet u all and aside from the aching and pain of running it in this is one ****** awesome machine :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another local.

re running in no idea. many will say you don't have to, and others will say that manufactures spend millions on engines and know what they are doing

I have always run my bikes in as per the manual and never had issue afterwords. So it's not just kawasaki, my blade and Speed triple I also had to do this with.

I'm not small and 6ft 2" and had no issues with the footpegs myself

I still want a larger rear hugger and no one in the UK makes these. Only way to get one is from Japan and when I looked at ordering the wait was months so never bothered

but Again welcome

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome to H2 ownership plkettle. Yes running in by the book is certainly something to try the patience of a saint. There's quite a lot of internet chat about running in a modern engine. I tend to do it progressively over the 600 mile period. Some say that with the tolerances of today's engines they are run in after the first few heat-cycles and they do have a point. As for "potter", it's about all you can ever do with an H2 on public roads without breaking the law. Maybe you should come along to one of our Straightliners meetings at Elvington and give it a go down the runway.

I'm under six feet tall and have no problem with the ergonomics of the bike. I usually find my body adapts quite quickly to a new position if I change bikes. A rather special Hayabusa I owned recently had Harris Performance rear-sets and the previous owner actually had them set too low, couldn't crank it over much before contact and these were the rigid pegs, not the folding ones !!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
My 2015 H2 was the most uncomfortable bike I had ever ridden and after fifty miles my arse resembled a Japanese flag , a hedgehog seat cover would have been an improvement on this oriental torture device BUT after two years it has managed to mutate my wrists , neck and knees to the point I would now call it tolerable .
At least you have the girly clutch on the 2017 but even that has now been overcome by my now Brazil nuts cracking grip .

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
"My 2015 H2 was the most uncomfortable bike I had ever ridden"...2 years and still adjusting?Sorry to hear that.I'm 6'1"...only issue I had was the seat.Redid that,immediately,and all was good.I couldn't ride a bike that was 'tolerable'...no way.

·
Registered
836 Posts
"My 2015 H2 was the most uncomfortable bike I had ever ridden"...2 years and still adjusting?Sorry to hear that.I'm 6'1"...only issue I had was the seat.Redid that,immediately,and all was good.I couldn't ride a bike that was 'tolerable'...no way.
Trust me it's nothing , I've been tolerating my girlfriend for over twelve years now .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got to open it up properly for the first time on Saturday following its run in and wow its got some serious poke :) pretty hard to hang on to the bike up at the rev limit in 3rd with 100% throttle and traction control turned off hehe
Has anyone noticed on theirs that its not always smooth if you try cruise at above 6k revs just holding the speed constant ? seems to hunt a little and wondered if its just a normal supercharged thing or if mapping can sort that ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts