Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Member about to buy an SX SE or 16 H2

I put my deposit down on a 2018 SE SX. The dealership I'm buying from said to wait until the end of the month to put in the official order because they aren't scheduled to ship until mid to late January and I am partially financing the bike. But they have a new 2016 H2 sitting on their showroom floor that they'll sell for the same price as the SX SE. I'm a little tempted to just go with the H2 but still leaning towards the SX SE. When I ride its normally fairly long distances because I live in the desert and the fun roads our over an hour from my house. The SX SE is filled with all the awesome Electronics as well. My big concern is the horse power claims but Ill save all that for a different post. My last 2 bikes that I had were a 2012 ZX10-R and a 2008 Concours 14 and I still have my CRF450 Supermoto. I'm hoping that the SX SE will be the perfect mix of my former ZX10-R and C14.

·
Registered
288 Posts
A H2 is not a touring bike and on boring roads its not much fun as in comfort,stick to the SE SX model for that,After 300ks of twisty roads I know I have done a few ks on the H2, same roads on my zx9 and totally different.
But same roads on my new z900Rs even more relaxed ,clearly not a tourer but point being the H2 is the last one of the three that I would use for long touring miles.

·
Registered
577 Posts
H2 vs H2SX - which one to buy ? An interesting question !

Both are very different bikes. The H2 is an animal and not a lot of fun to ride at low speeds. Very easy to overdo things and get yourself (and your licence) into serious trouble. Fuel range can also be an issue - you say the fun roads are an hour's ride away - are there any petrol stations on the way ? You'll be needing them on a H2 !

But, the bottom line on the H2 is the pride of ownership - wherever you park it, it will be admired. When you get on it and fire it up you will grin from ear to ear - guaranteed. You will know you are riding something special.

But it's not a great touring bike. I've done a 2,500 mile trip on mine and it coped - not great, but it did it.

The H2SX however promises to be a different bike altogether. It has 3 more years development on the supercharger and electronics. Power delivery is supposed to be much smoother and more predicaable than the H2. H2 does 25 mpg (UK) on a good day, 50 plus mpg has been suggested for the H2SX. It looks like the H2SX will not have the 'tuneability' of the H2 when it comes to getting extra performance but with a quoted 200bhp on tap (and more torque than a stock H2) I'm sure not many people will find it lacking.

I have spoken to a Kawasaki employee who has ridden both the H2 and the H2SX back to back on track. He said that a H2 was probably the faster bike in the right hands but, the easier/smoother power delivery of the H2SX would actually mean that most riders would be lapping faster on the tourer !

Of course you need to ask whether you need the ability to carry a pillion or whether hard luggage is a necessity as well.

Will be interested to know the outcome !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posted this over in the H2 SX Discussion section.

Im leaning towards the SX SE because its newer, more tech such as the 2 direction Quick Shifter and cruise control. But I'm a little concerned with the power numbers Kawasaki has released. When the 2011 ZX10R came out the power numbers Kawasaki put out were around 200 hp and 83 ft lbs. When the bikes hit the streets they got restricted and needed a flash to reach those numbers. But even after being derestricted 170 hp was what most people were getting to the wheels which is understandable. My 10 with a Guhl Flash custom tune exhaust and filter made 175hp on pump gas in Tucson which was pretty respectable. Now fast forward to the release of the H2 and Kawasaki claimed 200 hp and 98 ft lbs. Pretty similar claimed numbers but real world testing had the stock unflashed H2's coming in at 192 hp and 93 ft lbs at the wheel. Even though the claimed number were similar the real world results were totally different and the H2 gains a lot more with basic mods. Now the SX SE is claiming to have a similar engine to the H2 but its tuned down and made to run more efficiently but they are claiming similar power numbers to the H2. Even though they say its tuned down the rating is still 197 hp and 101 ft lbs. So where are those numbers going to be when the bikes hit the real world? If its closer to the H2's real world numbers Ill be happy but if its closer to the zx10-r's real world numbers im afraid Ill be significantly disappointed especially since it will have the extra weight.

If its going to be heavier and not as strong as my ZX10-R I'd rather buy the 2 year old H2. But if its going to have more power, comfort and tech I'd prefer to get the SX SE.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Welcome Cooter.

I ordered an SE.I had an H2(modded).Great bike.Best bike I've owned.I think one good thing about the se is it's chain drive.Being able to switch out gearing is a plus.I don't see this bike as all that 'limited'.The refinements to me are worth the trade-off of the H2.I never had any problems with my H2...rideability or otherwise.I really think the new se is gonna be kickass.It's got the launch control.That tells me it wants to rock.I think the fairing and bags kinda give the impression that it somehow won't perform 'as good' as the H2.The HP and tq figures are very good.I don't need to be hitting 200mph anymore.Guhl will definitely be working on getting the most from the ECU.I've seen several vids on this se.One was a 'first ride'.Kawasaki asked em to take it down until the other rags had a chance to ride and review it.It was a very good vid.Hit all the concerns about it's performance and ride quality.Gonna be fun owning one.I like the fact of the larger tank and MPG # with it.LOTS more seat time to rail and enjoy.Gonna be a great bike IMO.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome Cooter.

I ordered an SE.I had an H2(modded).Great bike.Best bike I've owned.I think one good thing about the se is it's chain drive.Being able to switch out gearing is a plus.I don't see this bike as all that 'limited'.The refinements to me are worth the trade-off of the H2.I never had any problems with my H2...rideability or otherwise.I really think the new se is gonna be kickass.It's got the launch control.That tells me it wants to rock.I think the fairing and bags kinda give the impression that it somehow won't perform 'as good' as the H2.The HP and tq figures are very good.I don't need to be hitting 200mph anymore.Guhl will definitely be working on getting the most from the ECU.I've seen several vids on this se.One was a 'first ride'.Kawasaki asked em to take it down until the other rags had a chance to ride and review it.It was a very good vid.Hit all the concerns about it's performance and ride quality.Gonna be fun owning one.I like the fact of the larger tank and MPG # with it.LOTS more seat time to rail and enjoy.Gonna be a great bike IMO.
I saw that video too but i work the night shift and watched it after work and didn't retain much information. I can't remember if he said the speed was comparable to a zx10r or slightly behind. I keep going back and forth on which I think I want. The unknown of the sx se is frightening. If it's equally fast to regular liter bikes ill be happy. But if its slower ill be disappointed in spending 22k on it. I'm reluctant to put too muy h2 faith in the launch control meaning it accelerates fast. My concours could have benefited from launch control but it wasn't "fast" compared to most sport bikes.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It looks to me like this bike isn't going to be as restricted as most people think. First is was designed for the street, not from the H2R. Second they bumped up the compression a ton and aren't depending on the supercharger as much for ride-abilitys sake. So what people are probably going to see is a much lower volume SC with a very linear boost, without that huge restriction at 3000 below redline. If there is one it most likely won't be cutting off the butterfly opening to 32% , probably more like 75-80%.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
It's faster than a 10."If it's equally fast to regular liter bikes ill be happy"...That guy said it was.He's definitely over 200 lbs.He was riding 'cautiously' so he wouldn't wreck Kawi's bike.That's my takeaway from that vid.He wasn't rippin full on by any means.Really gonna be cool when these other test riders get their hands on it;)He said he's ridden the H2...and this bike is even more solid than that one.Solid means...it'll rock nicely.

Will it have off the showroom floor the kick the H2 has.I don't think so.But as far as wheelies and that kind of thing...I've no doubt it'll shine.I think the low and midrange power is gonna be pretty darn close to the H2...possibly better.It's not an H2...but I think it'll be very good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you sure hey said it was faster than a Zx10r? Like I said I didn't retain much of the information from the video. I do remember him saying that it made the concours feel like a pig. If it's running under 10 second 1/4s I'll be glad to go with the sx.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Not positive he said that exactly.I guess we'll just have to wait and see for some more first rides.

I think if you want brutal acceleration in virtually the whole powerband,then the H2 is the one you want.It has a particular edge to it.That makes it very special.I don't think the SE is gonna have quite that edge to it.I think it'll have plenty of exhilaration,but slightly tamed.I'm okay with that.I'm thinkin crosscountry rideability.And some canyons and such.Of course.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not positive he said that exactly.I guess we'll just have to wait and see for some more first rides.
I think if you want brutal acceleration in virtually the whole powerband,then the H2 is the one you want.It has a particular edge to it.That makes it very special.I don't think the SE is gonna have quite that edge to it.I think it'll have plenty of exhilaration,but slightly tamed.I'm okay with that.I'm thinkin crosscountry rideability.And some canyons and such.Of course.

I'm really hoping that it is still going to have liter bike acceleration. That's the only thing that was missing from my concours. It was fast but lacked the warp speed feeling and stability of sportbikes. I will gladly sacrifice a little comfort from what the concourse had to get some speed. Triple digit torque is no joke though so as long as the Factory Power Specs are not too inflated it should run pretty well with the liter bikes. On another forum someone did some calculations and is estimating the top speed to be around the standard 185 mark based on the gearing. That defiantly falls inline with most sport bikes so that is promising.

After you mentioned the guy from the video saying that it was faster than a 10 I vaguely remember possibly hearing him say that. I do remember him saying it handled better than the Concours so that's good. My only hold up on going with the H2 is that a lot of people have said its pretty uncomfortable after a few hours. When I get out to ride I like to ride most of the day.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Thanks Brig....Good write up.I'm definitely not concerned about the sportbike performance.That's pretty much what's at the soul of this bike.Gonna be a blast.
It's gonna be miles away from a connie performance wise.And every other way.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
He mentioned his 'subjective' view of the frontend.I see it as some sort of retro muscle car frontend.Defined.Angular and looking like those two ram openings are tunneling back and wrapped around the cowl there.(I know,there's only one actual intake duct functioning).Still...it looks sharp and aggressive.I like it.It's shaped a bit more like the H2R actually.Pointed,like an F-22 or something similar.It also looks like the rider will be able to actually see the frontend while rollin.It's got a great fast looking shape to the whole bike.In person under the sunlight,I think she's gonna really look awesome.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:D
:D

Awesome find thank you! You have restored my faith in the bike. "Folksit was impressively fast, beyond fast, but with absolutely zerodrama. This bike was made for autobahns, but be aware: The H2 SX is sodrama-free that its acceleration is truly deceptive… maybe it’s thesupercharger masking the angry intake howl, or the smooth compliance of itssuspension, but this thing makes crazy speed feel perfectly sane." Is exactly what I wanted to hear.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've spoken to a Kawasaki employee who's ridden all the 2018 models back to back on track (including H2SX, H2, ZZR1400 and ZX10R). He says no-one will be disappointed with the H2SX's performance and handling ........

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've spoken to a Kawasaki employee who's ridden all the 2018 models back to back on track (including H2SX, H2, ZZR1400 and ZX10R). He says no-one will be disappointed with the H2SX's performance and handling ........
Did he mention where it falls on that list as far as performance goes?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Food for thought, if I'm not mistaken the power to weight ratio is very, very close to a 14R, right? And it's faster than a 10R, right?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Food for thought, if I'm not mistaken the power to weight ratio is very, very close to a 14R, right? And it's faster than a 10R, right?

If my calculating is right the H2 SX has a ratio of 2.885 Lbs./ Horse Power based off of a full tank of fuel.
I get 2.886 Lbs./ Horse Power for the ZX14r based on a full tank and using 207 hp.
But I think the 14 has 12 ft/lbs more torque which I think will factor in to the overall acceleration as well as the geometry of the bikes. Also this assumption doesn't factor in the low and mid range power. But I think its safe to assume they will be in the same ball park as each other. So I think it is a valid point
As a side note it looks like the 2018 ZX10-R SE ABS will have a ratio of 2.345.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts