Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a little while ago I had a problem of my bike getting stuck in gear. It would only happen after I was riding for a bit and then it would get stuck in whatever gear I was in and not able to go up or down in gear. Sometimes I could ride a bit, while going home, and it would clear one gear and let me go up or down a couple, but eventually get stuck in gear again.

On the first occurrence I brought it to the dealer and they postulated it has something to do with the clutch and it was not disengaging and allowing the bike to ascend or descend gears. They called Kawi, and ordered a new clutch slave cylinder and it came in and they installed it. It was the new model part number, from Brembo and listed as a new part number from Kawi. They installed it, test rode it and it was fine.

This worked for a very short period of time. I learned later it was just by chance it worked and has nothing to do with the fix. After a short time it was again getting stuck in gear and I had to ride home in 4th this time, as it would not switch up or down. I did notice it never had a problem on the initial ride, but 20 min into the ride it would get stuck.

Dealer called Kawi and they immediately said replace the clutch master cylinder. I agreed, as it seemed like it was totally clutch related and the clutch was not moving properly to engage/disengage. It comes as one complete unit and was on back order. Took a MONTH to come in and they replaced it. They test rode it and it worked perfectly. I took it home, rode it, and again at about 20 min into the ride, stuck in gear. I noticed the shifter was really “ratchety” and had a strange metal clunking when it was stuck in gear. I also noticed that once I rode a while and it heated up that the shifter would get stuck in the up or down position but never return to the center true position. This was the problem.

I also noticed that on the left side of the case where the shifter exited the case was a ton of grime buildup. I removed the pertinent pieces in the way and gave it a thorough cleaning till it was new looking again. I made the assumption it was sticky grime and buildup that once it all heated up in that area was preventing the shifter bar from returning to the center position it was so sticky. Wrong.

I rode it again and about 20 min into the ride, stuck in gear. I drained the oil and pulled the clutch cover and inspected the right side of the shifter rod expecting to see a dropped spring, or something out of alignment. Nada. I manually cycled the shifter and noticed that it was in fact hanging up on something and preventing it from returning to the center position (even cold this time). I pulled the circlip from the other side and slid out the entire shifter rod assembly and it looked perfect. I looked at the Shift Cam Drum and noticed on the bolt it had impact marks and wear. Once I touched it with my finger it actually moved freely in the socket. It was completely backed out and making contact with the shifter assembly and causing it to drag and not return to the center position so it could select another gear. Bolt ordered from the dealer along with clutch cover gasket.

Hope this helps someone searching for a solution, but it seems like a very isolated occurrence. Photos attached.

NOLA

Attachments

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Hmmm...okay.Well...glad you got it sorted.I was having a hard time trying to believe it had anything to do with chain lube or anything like that.Really glad you saw that bolt in there.Way ta Go!.This will probably be of good knowledge for anyone else.Good Job on that!

Also,on this 'chain lube buildup' entering the clutch fluid.I don't really see how that could happen.I use Maxima Chain Wax...and sometimes I probably overdid it.BUT...on mine,any excess gets hot and drips from the front sprocket area in there.It doesn't build up.Just odd sounding about the fluid issues and 'grime being forced in'...it would seem to me that any 'grime' would take the easiest path when moving.Getting past the seals doesn't sound like the easiest path to me.I'd be more inclined to believe it's a lot of hard clutching and heat transfer into the fluid.I could obviously be wrong.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So a little while ago I had a problem of my bike getting stuck in gear. It would only happen after I was riding for a bit and then it would get stuck in whatever gear I was in and not able to go up or down in gear. Sometimes I could ride a bit, while going home, and it would clear one gear and let me go up or down a couple, but eventually get stuck in gear again.

On the first occurrence I brought it to the dealer and they postulated it has something to do with the clutch and it was not disengaging and allowing the bike to ascend or descend gears. They called Kawi, and ordered a new clutch slave cylinder and it came in and they installed it. It was the new model part number, from Brembo and listed as a new part number from Kawi. They installed it, test rode it and it was fine.

This worked for a very short period of time. I learned later it was just by chance it worked and has nothing to do with the fix. After a short time it was again getting stuck in gear and I had to ride home in 4th this time, as it would not switch up or down. I did notice it never had a problem on the initial ride, but 20 min into the ride it would get stuck.

Dealer called Kawi and they immediately said replace the clutch master cylinder. I agreed, as it seemed like it was totally clutch related and the clutch was not moving properly to engage/disengage. It comes as one complete unit and was on back order. Took a MONTH to come in and they replaced it. They test rode it and it worked perfectly. I took it home, rode it, and again at about 20 min into the ride, stuck in gear. I noticed the shifter was really “ratchety” and had a strange metal clunking when it was stuck in gear. I also noticed that once I rode a while and it heated up that the shifter would get stuck in the up or down position but never return to the center true position. This was the problem.

I also noticed that on the left side of the case where the shifter exited the case was a ton of grime buildup. I removed the pertinent pieces in the way and gave it a thorough cleaning till it was new looking again. I made the assumption it was sticky grime and buildup that once it all heated up in that area was preventing the shifter bar from returning to the center position it was so sticky. Wrong.

I rode it again and about 20 min into the ride, stuck in gear. I drained the oil and pulled the clutch cover and inspected the right side of the shifter rod expecting to see a dropped spring, or something out of alignment. Nada. I manually cycled the shifter and noticed that it was in fact hanging up on something and preventing it from returning to the center position (even cold this time). I pulled the circlip from the other side and slid out the entire shifter rod assembly and it looked perfect. I looked at the Shift Cam Drum and noticed on the bolt it had impact marks and wear. Once I touched it with my finger it actually moved freely in the socket. It was completely backed out and making contact with the shifter assembly and causing it to drag and not return to the center position so it could select another gear. Bolt ordered from the dealer along with clutch cover gasket.

Hope this helps someone searching for a solution, but it seems like a very isolated occurrence. Photos attached.

NOLA

Good info thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Technically this was lower left of the clutch and not involved in it. But you are right, bolts backing out is not good. This particular bolt would be held in by the shifter rod mechanism, since its locked in place from the other side with the circlip. But still a pain.

NOLA

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know right....I was a little concerned. I HATE intermittent problems. And I would have always been wondering, and never trusted the bike to go on long rides. I am VERY glad I found the backed out and damaged bolt. Now I can say for sure its fixed once I reassemble it.

NOLA

·
Registered
104 Posts
@NOLA, please explain a step by step (enumerated) procedure to find that bolt and list the things you removed...

I dont discard in a few kms to put some loctite on it and prevent a disaster :)

after the tripleclamp bolt, and the rear axle bolt, this will be the third bolt I need to check... looks Kawasaki was short of loctite while building the bike hahahaa

anyways, are always fast things....

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@aleib

If you REALLY want me to list the steps I will, but two things.

1. The bolt already has blue locktite on it.
2. Its not a safety related item, because the shifter mechanism will hold the bolt in place and it wont fall off. The tolerance is too tight.

NOLA

·
Registered
104 Posts
please, do.... not only for me, any future H2 owner could have this issue and its better to have it fully documented...

If I ask you to do the list in 2-3 weeks you will forgot everything minor and details... they are important... its fresh in your mind now, just write it down!

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
please, do.... not only for me, any future H2 owner could have this issue and its better to have it fully documented...

If I ask you to do the list in 2-3 weeks you will forgot everything minor and details... they are important... its fresh in your mind now, just write it down!

@aleib,

Use your Kawasaki service manual my friend - it's the best source of information to work on your bike.

Brock
Brocks Performance

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If anyone is on Facebook and on the "Kawasaki Ninja H2 Public Group" forum, a guy named Daniel Bassett just posted about this problem. Someone should send him a link to this page. I dont do Facebook.

NOLA

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the same thing happen 10 years ago on my 2000 12r. I split the cases then sent the tranny shafts to R and D motorsports. The bolt loosened up after awhile .Mark at r and d knew right away what it was .Lock tight saved the day again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
that was me who posted on facebook.
the funny thing about it there was no warning of it happening. i was out riding most of the night last night changing gears nice and smoothly through the whole night. Then i changed from 6th to 5th then to 4th with no problems, then went to change to 3rd and that was when the shift started to stick.
was told about that bolt and had a look at this thread and checked the same bolt and mine was loose. Pulled it out put some loctite on it and it was working without a problem. The only downside was the only kawasaki dealer didnt have any clutch cover gaskets in stock so i had to reuse the old one to get me by for the weekend. but unfortunately oil is slightly weeping under a few of the bolts.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts