Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to race in the production class I have to have stock appearing exhaust, so here goes. As you can see there is a lot going on inside the muffler. In the next to last picture you see an odd assembly between the two exhaust outlets. That is spring loaded and when there is enough pressure, it opens up to let more exhaust (and noise) out. The picture of the cat is after it was gutted. The cat has a honeycomb material in there that you can barely see through or blow through. It took over two hours to cut and grind all of the stuff out of the converter. Can't wait to test it again after these mods.

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you look at the picture you can see that I just cut a rectangular area out. I don't really know how it was fastened, but it was in there tight. Without just totally cutting the box apart, all we could do was cut, grind and chisel it out.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
In order to race in the production class I have to have stock appearing exhaust, so here goes. As you can see there is a lot going on inside the muffler. In the next to last picture you see an odd assembly between the two exhaust outlets. That is spring loaded and when there is enough pressure, it opens up to let more exhaust (and noise) out. The picture of the cat is after it was gutted. The cat has a honeycomb material in there that you can barely see through or blow through. It took over two hours to cut and grind all of the stuff out of the converter. Can't wait to test it again after these mods.
Well I guess this post from you answers the question I posed to you on your other post. You really are intending to run your H2 on the salt. Hmmn.

Well, with 250 hp you are going to tickle 220 out there. Guess you are going for the red hat! Which venue are you going to?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
880, I am not too sure about the speed as the H2 does not have the aero package that the Busa or the ZX's have. Also, I am somewhat of a widebody, which further slows me down. I am just hoping that on 3 or 5 mile runs I will have enough time and space to get it up to speed. I am hoping that it will be enough to get me my "A" license. We are going to Speedweek and hope to get there on the 7th for tech and be ready to run on Saturday after the driver's meeting.

I fully expect to see a half dozen H2's out there, so the idea that this will be a solo record attempt is not even in my thought process. I would expect that there will be plenty of people trying to line up the small, expert riders - think Valerie Thompson - which will put me at a further disadvantage. But we are going just to have fun. Besides, the part I would really dread would be teardown if I should luck out and have to go to impound. It is such a pain in the butt to get to the plugs, but I guess no pain - no gain. The good thing is that they will have access (eventually) to all of the spark plugs and I won't have to drop the engine, or pull a head to inspect it.

Reactions: ben1000z

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
880, I am not too sure about the speed as the H2 does not have the aero package that the Busa or the ZX's have. Also, I am somewhat of a widebody, which further slows me down. I am just hoping that on 3 or 5 mile runs I will have enough time and space to get it up to speed. I am hoping that it will be enough to get me my "A" license. We are going to Speedweek and hope to get there on the 7th for tech and be ready to run on Saturday after the driver's meeting.

I fully expect to see a half dozen H2's out there, so the idea that this will be a solo record attempt is not even in my thought process. I would expect that there will be plenty of people trying to line up the small, expert riders - think Valerie Thompson - which will put me at a further disadvantage. But we are going just to have fun. Besides, the part I would really dread would be teardown if I should luck out and have to go to impound. It is such a pain in the butt to get to the plugs, but I guess no pain - no gain. The good thing is that they will have access (eventually) to all of the spark plugs and I won't have to drop the engine, or pull a head to inspect it.
Well, I see in your list of bikes a GPZ 750 turbo. Are you aware Parnell over in England has repeatedly ran over 200? This with an 810 kit and 230 on the dyno. Granted the H2 is a barn door in comparison to the other slippery machines but the 750 turbo is also a barn door. Parnell got his to 211 to a mile venue on asphalt.

I'm still thinking your efforts will produce speeds way over 200. As far as the other H2 competition, all are in the same boat of learning how to get more out of our new machines. Pretty much levels the playing field. Yes, the little gals do have a slight advantage in reducing some of the aero problems but I don't think given everything else equal, you'd see much more then five miles an hour difference between the Thompsons and your self described "widebody."

Good luck!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
880, I have a spare Charlie Toy seat and fairing that I would just love to run on the H2, the bad thing is the record in that class is about 240 mph on Al Lamb's Honda and probably with Leslie Porterfield and 400 to 500 hp pushing it. I may try it some time however, just to see how it would feel with a bunch of streamlining.

I have three of the 750 turbos and Mike Chestnut has been wanting to build an updated motor to run out there, but as usual, I have too many projects going on. I am pretty sure Mike built the motor that ran 167 out there years ago.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
880, I have a spare Charlie Toy seat and fairing that I would just love to run on the H2, the bad thing is the record in that class is about 240 mph on Al Lamb's Honda and probably with Leslie Porterfield and 400 to 500 hp pushing it. I may try it some time however, just to see how it would feel with a bunch of streamlining. I have three of the 750 turbos and Mike Chestnut has been wanting to build an updated motor to run out there, but as usual, I have too many projects going on. I am pretty sure Mike built the motor that ran 167 out there years ago.
I haven't checked with Sims in a week or so but he's trying to get another Charlie Toy for my turbo from Kent at Airtech. He's used the Charlie Toy for most of his salt and Mojave stuff. Had a spare Charlie Toy in the shop but it was given to Garcia when his girlfriend dumped a bike at Mojave this year and trashed the body.

Mike C. Yep! Most of my engine internals came straight from him. He still provides me advice today even though I've not purchased anything for quite a while. Mike's love is still on the GPZ Turbos but he's put some meanness in a ZX14R and is running it in Ohio this month. He's hoping to get close to 210.

I was pretty bummed when Lamb went for the MPS 1000cc BF record. That's the one I was after. It was obtainable back when the record was still 216. Now that they've bumped it to 243 I believe, my bike is not going to do it by a long shot. So, I'm relegated to simply having expensive fun out there. D*mn, that's just horrible!

Kent Riches has a new body that you might consider over the Charlie Toy. Don't know for certain if he's up and running with production yet but Sims got the first few and has them installed on his n/a 1710 Busa and Garcia's two Busas. I think your H2 would do incredible things with that new body!

Not certain Lamb is pulling that much horsepower. Just for a point of ref. Garcia ran his 1340 turbo busa at Mojave at pulled down a 247 in the mile. I saw 400 hp on the dyno with that bike. At the rate of progress we're seeing with the H2, I'm pretty certain that kind of hp isn't too far off. It sounds as if you are right there.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dyno tomorrow, we'll see if my "edinlr" muffler & cat will live up to expectations. My dyno guy says 15+, I am taking the under. As they used to say on tv, "film at 11".

·
Registered
674 Posts
I haven't checked with Sims in a week or so but he's trying to get another Charlie Toy for my turbo from Kent at Airtech. He's used the Charlie Toy for most of his salt and Mojave stuff. Had a spare Charlie Toy in the shop but it was given to Garcia when his girlfriend dumped a bike at Mojave this year and trashed the body.

Mike C. Yep! Most of my engine internals came straight from him. He still provides me advice today even though I've not purchased anything for quite a while. Mike's love is still on the GPZ Turbos but he's put some meanness in a ZX14R and is running it in Ohio this month. He's hoping to get close to 210.

I was pretty bummed when Lamb went for the MPS 1000cc BF record. That's the one I was after. It was obtainable back when the record was still 216. Now that they've bumped it to 243 I believe, my bike is not going to do it by a long shot. So, I'm relegated to simply having expensive fun out there. D*mn, that's just horrible!

Kent Riches has a new body that you might consider over the Charlie Toy. Don't know for certain if he's up and running with production yet but Sims got the first few and has them installed on his n/a 1710 Busa and Garcia's two Busas. I think your H2 would do incredible things with that new body!

Not certain Lamb is pulling that much horsepower. Just for a point of ref. Garcia ran his 1340 turbo busa at Mojave at pulled down a 247 in the mile. I saw 400 hp on the dyno with that bike. At the rate of progress we're seeing with the H2, I'm pretty certain that kind of hp isn't too far off. It sounds as if you are right there.
We ran at 2012 Shootout when Al set the FIM at 264mph , He rides it not Leslie, She will be back this yr in the 1650 bf or g class

some of the "new" bodies seem to make the handling a bit sketchy,
Mike and i both had similar problems with 2 different brands last yr , and i have seen others with same issues
we are designing from scratch , scanned the bikes , riders, current bodies,and will run the resultant CAD through wind tunnel simulations before commiting to a shape
trying to get our 750 to 250 and Busa to 280

Good bodywork like Ralph Hudsons could get the H2 right up there
he has gone 230 on a NA 1000 and 260 something blown
but it is a tough class and would need a lot of development in the compressor and cooling to get the needed 400 or so hp
but the power would be easier to use than a turbo

even the naked classes would be tough to get a hat , i think its around 230mph minimum , Noonan has done 226 as A BF
but some of the classes are record achievable , Evs a-bg 192 and Ryans m-bf 208 and Deans M-BG 218, , but you would need to be quick, those numbers will jump up this yr if the salt is any good

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
we are designing from scratch , scanned the bikes , riders, current bodies,and will run the resultant CAD through wind tunnel simulations before commiting to a shape
trying to get our 750 to 250 and Busa to 280
Oz, really looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Mike and i both had similar problems with 2 different brands last yr
I wasn't thinking straight when I mentioned we were rained out at WOS. Didn't catch the error until I read you had been out there last year with Mike and his girl. We were rained out in '13 but you know that of course. '14 for me was a downer for health related stuff and couldn't make the salt.

In order to race in the production class I have to have stock appearing exhaust ....I fully expect to see a half dozen H2's out there, so the idea that this will be a solo record attempt is not even in my thought process.
Ed, your work with the exhaust to keep the bike in production class I believe will certainly help you with garnering a hat. I might be wrong but in looking at SCTA, AMA, and FIM, I can't find anything for a P-PB 1000cc machine. Seems to me breaking 200 gets you a hat. That is, unless those other guys or little gals do the same. >:D

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well guys, I won the "under" bet and by a bunch. The bike sounded great, just like a $1500 slip-on, but it didn't do squat. All the work in gutting the cat, cutting open the muffler, eliminating about a foot of turns and restrictions gave me about 1/2 horsepower, so statistically nothing. We played with it, changed gas, but nothing helped. The only thing that bothered me was the air/fuel changed a bunch. The bike is running richer now. I am sure one of the engineers on here can explain it, but I couldn't wait and called my buddy Jim, who is an old Bonneville hand and a retired Toyota engineer and troubleshooter. Some of you may remember him from the Toyota Prius that was on the cover of Car & Driver years ago when he ran it at Bonneville at about 170, yes he is that smart. His conclusion was that Kawasaki probably got the design right. He said, trying to make me feel better, that at least I hadn't lost horsepower doing my number on the muffler. Jim also said that I probably did pick up some power that the dyno won't show, but will probably pop up at the three-mile mark. We can also tune bike a touch more for the race gas, but other than that I am done and going back to work on my old Honda race bike until August. Thanks for tuning in.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Bugger well at least it sounds better,but the fueling is a pain.These days in regards to exhaust there is heaps of development in house ,with my supercharged ute the guru of fords Herrod motorsport said better to spend money on intercoolers ,pulleys flash tunes etc than exhaust.Pretty sure with all the r and d kawasaki put into this bike there would be minimal gains in pipes.I only had the accra fitted for note and looks only .

·
Registered
331 Posts
All the work in gutting the cat, cutting open the muffler, eliminating about a foot of turns and restrictions gave me about 1/2 horsepower, so statistically nothing. We played with it, changed gas, but nothing helped. The only thing that bothered me was the air/fuel changed a bunch. The bike is running richer now...
From your result I'm guessing that the shape of the cat and pipe is more of a problem than the guts of them were. the changing diameters are messing up the exhaust velocity and obstructing flow. From a few comments Ive read the header inst bad but a slip-on and straight pipe needs to replace the cat back.

If you were taking A/F with a sniffer inserted in the exhaust that would explain why the A/F showed more rich. same amount of fuel but after the mod no cat to burn it up.

Reactions: edinlr

·
Registered
674 Posts
880 currently know how you guys felt waiting for your bikes as the scanner guy crunches the date and puts it in a usable form
and i knew what yr you were referring to , we spent a lot of time checking out the sights in and around Wendover that yr (there actually is a lot of stuff if you dont mind walking a lot)

Ed i thought you would get a little more up top, see what you can get with race fuel and timing
you will have a big advantage in your class against any new guys , takes seat time and setup experiance to get the best out there

yes AMA ,BMST 200mph hat is just exceeding 200mph

Dirty red hat at Elmirage is another , a bf as a naked is 207.4
production is 196
done much offroad riding ?

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
880 currently know how you guys felt waiting for your bikes as the scanner guy crunches the date and puts it in a usable form
and i knew what yr you were referring to , we spent a lot of time checking out the sights in and around Wendover that yr (there actually is a lot of stuff if you dont mind walking a lot)

Ed i thought you would get a little more up top, see what you can get with race fuel and timing
you will have a big advantage in your class against any new guys , takes seat time and setup experiance to get the best out there

yes AMA ,BMST 200mph hat is just exceeding 200mph

Dirty red hat at Elmirage is another , a bf as a naked is 207.4
production is 196
done much offroad riding ?
Guys, a thought has been rolling around in my head for a while. Under SCTA rules, to insure a production class is truly a production class, a minimum 500 units must be produced by the factory. I don't think that's a problem but with all of the guessing about how many 2's and R's have been produced, I'm wondering how the minimum can/will be proven. Think I'll ask the guys at consumer services at Kawasaki Irvine. Maybe they can tell me.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As for the production numbers I questioned the AMA on that last year when they approved a record for the Motus. In that case they decided the intent was enough????? I am guessing that the various chassis numbers that have been tossed around make the case that we have enough bikes out there. Mine is #396 and we have numbers a whole lot higher than that out there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts