Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I'd put this piece of news on the forum.

I'm just back from Straightliners Top Speed Tuesday meeting at Elvington, England. It's a standing mile and wheelie meeting.

My H2 made four runs today over the mile. First run was 200.1mph. Second was 202 mph, third was 201.9 mph and fourth was 200.2 mph. All runs were within 1% or so of each other which is very consistent.

Interestingly the speedo on the H2 stops at 189mph so I thought my first run was slow until I got the official timekeeper's ticket. I know the H2R speedo reads higher but I didn't know there was this difference between the two models.

My bike only has the Brock's flash and is geared 19/43. No other mods at all and was running standard ride height with the mirrors on as well. Hopefully a lot more to come. Does anyone know if this is a first official +200 for the H2? I know H2R's have done it, Rickey for example, but I've not seen anyone claim it for the H2.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hey BobC, nice runs! Did you notice the rpms when you hit the 200s? And do you think you might have done better with a smaller rear sprocket?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be honest Roy I was mostly concentrating on the runway when I got up into sixth. Making sure I kept it wide open through the speed trap. It should do 210 on 19/43 and I didn't hit the limiter in sixth. I assume it just isn't making the power (yet) to pull a higher gear.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
So...my bike could actually be hitting 200...the speedo did stop climbing at 190,191.You think maybe it's gearing(stock)?You may have said that...Mine was pegged at 14K.

Congrats BTW...great job!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Bob, I don't think there is any doubt that you are the first person to do a 200 mph timed run on the H2 in standard configuration. There will be many more, but you are the first. Congratulations and I am sure you will be even faster in the future. Compare this to the articles we read about 200 mph turbo bikes and think how good this bike feels and acts. Take care buddy, we are all proud of you.

Ed

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congratulations Bob :)
how was your body position, ? jockey crouch or sitting ?
Tucked in as low as possible. Chest and chin on the tank, looking through the screen. Balls of my feet up on the pegs, elbows in and holding the bars as far in as I could. The mirrors I just folded back, later I'll sort out some blanks and remove them.

I entered to get an idea of how the bike goes. I was hoping for 200 but I thought the main limitation which could prevent that might be aerodynamics. Needless to say I went home happy. Next time out the motor will be in a higher state of tune and aero's will be better. I'm going to need a 42t sprocket.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So...my bike could actually be hitting 200...the speedo did stop climbing at 190,191.You think maybe it's gearing(stock)?You may have said that...Mine was pegged at 14K.

Congrats BTW...great job!
Your bike could very well be hitting 200+, especially if it has the 14,000 limit. My speedo didn't read any higher than 189, which was why I though the first run was a bummer, thankfully it wasn't. This might be something Don can unlock?

My bike's gearing is 19/43, one up at the front and one down at the rear, which should be good for 210mph at 13,000rpm. (My bike has the ECU Flash 1 which has the the stock rev-limit).

·
Registered
554 Posts
Congrats Bob! Pics of the time tickets yea ? ;) ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Very cool. You must really be getting to know the bike at this point. I have to say that I'm surprised the speedo read 189 when you were going 200. I would expect the speedo to overshoot measurements rather than undershoot them. That just seems like a safer way to do it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Very cool. You must really be getting to know the bike at this point. I have to say that I'm surprised the speedo read 189 when you were going 200. I would expect the speedo to overshoot measurements rather than undershoot them. That just seems like a safer way to do it.
Good point, mine read 185, but my time was only 177.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Reactions: SilverbirdH2

·
Registered
105 Posts
the normal thing is the speedo showing to much but it wont show over 187 or 189, don't know which. I have a eurobike and it will not show over 299km/h reguardless how fast you go (unless it's a H2R). Thinking this is a part of this ridiculous agreement they have, watched a video with a bmw and it also stopped somewhere around 187-189 but the rpm continued to rise..

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Answering some of the above:

The speedo just stopped at 189, It wasn't an under-read so much as its limit, or so it seems. (software?)

I assumed that because of the wheel speed sensors, which provide the rotational speed information to the ECU, the gearing should make no difference to the speed reading. I seem to remember it showed 189 when I did the demo run at last months record meeting, with the bike still in restricted stock form. I didn't pay it any attention at the time and the electronic speed trap at the meeting gave it as 184 point something.

Fommen, I only have the flash and the Akrapovic can, no PCV yet. That's going on next week.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Yep...the factory speedo setting is 2-3 mph off(high).Apparently they don't want anyone getting tickets;)I think it also MAY be in the manual about riding 'just below' the speed limits.Puts the rider in a safer speed area.????For radar that is.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts