Ninja H2 banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
My RST racing leathers have perforation in the front chest area. You saying these wouldn’t pass tech? Hard to believe.. I am interested in these runs but would want to be able to use my roadracing gear.
Yep! That's what I'm saying! No perfs. Remember those grommet holes I mentioned in the underarm of my Vansons? Again, SCTA rules stipulate the kind of leathers you have are not usable at any of their venues. Not only no perfs but the hump is also a no go!

Now, Oz said the new SCTA rules have relaxed some on what can be worn. He didn't specifically state how they were relaxed however. I still don't have my current rule book but am expecting it any day. If the question isn't answered here on the forum prior to me receiving it, I'll post the new rules.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Now, Oz said the new SCTA rules have relaxed some on what can be worn. He didn't specifically state how they were relaxed however. I still don't have my current rule book but am expecting it any day. If the question isn't answered here on the forum prior to me receiving it, I'll post the new rules.
Here's an update to the 2016 SCTA rules for Leathers. I spoke with Scott Horner via Facebook and he generously spent time to copy the pertinent information from the 2016 rule book. He captured pictures of the two pages and I assembled those into one picture for ease of posting. Here you go.

I didn't buy the pro RST suit so I can't definitively say your set will pass the muster with SCTA but it sure looks to me like it will. The H2 is considered as partial streamline so the hump is legal and perfs in non critical areas also.

I'd still run it by SCTA tech to make sure before I made the trek to Bonneville.:)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Love this site with the ability to bounce stuff like this off fellow enthusiasts! I don't think I would have considered this at all without yours and Oz' input.

Thanks to you both!:)

Yes, this site is great for sharing information and, as you say, bouncing stuff around.

Synthetic stitching on suits has largely answered the problem of seam weakness with the old cotton thread which wasn't as strong and could also rot. I imagine the man at Vanson Leathers asked about the suit's history and use because of this and the fact that the very strong synthetic thread can "cheeswire" through the leather in extreme cases.

My old Spidi suit had the perforations similar to Racer172's RST suit. The new one doesn't. That's just the way the suit I chose is designed, not a conscious choice. Interesting to read in those SCTA regs about the speed hump.

(Off topic but our club has adopted the SCTA classes now, I run the H2 in P-PB-1000, it caused a lot of confusion at first and I'm still not quite sure whether I should be in M-PB-1000, there was a turbo-charged ZX-10R which ended up in my class !!!)

·
Registered
665 Posts
SCTA if your bike looks unmodified its P PB (production body, production blown motor), with muffler change,mirrors removed or otherwise appearance changed or power adding fuels/alky blends its MPS (modified partial streamliner) BG or BF (blown gas or blown fuel) M is for naked classes
But how your association interprets the SCTA stuff could be entirely different , our DLRA also uses the SCTA rules as a close guide as they have a huge amount of experiance in regard to safety
but we have Australianised some of it
At least were all running fairly similar regulations

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
SCTA if your bike looks unmodified its P PB (production body, production blown motor), with muffler change,mirrors removed or otherwise appearance changed or power adding fuels/alky blends its MPS (modified partial streamliner) BG or BF (blown gas or blown fuel) M is for naked classes
But how your association interprets the SCTA stuff could be entirely different , our DLRA also uses the SCTA rules as a close guide as they have a huge amount of experiance in regard to safety
but we have Australianised some of it
At least were all running fairly similar regulations
Thanks for the heads up about MPS.

The SCTA rule book was recently adopted by my club, Straightliners and the UK Timing Association, in what I assume is an attempt to get conformity with other organisations around the world. I support this but it seems that nobody I've spoken to, including the timekeepers and scrutineers, has a full understanding of the subtle differences between classes, particularly with things like removing mirrors.

So we're just trying to do the best we can and be honest about it. I'm not even sure if there's an SCTA rule book in the club. Given time we'll get there, probably all be experts before too long. :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Bob, the production class rules in the US (SCTA, ECTA, LTA) are all pretty much the same. The bike has to appear stock, other than mandatory safety equipment. One year I was bounced in tech because I had fire sleeve on the fuel lines. Even though I had just qualified for a record, they told me I had to requalify with a "stock" appearing bike. You can make all of the internal mods that you want, but need stock (US) appearing equipment. In 2013 some Japanese racers were about to break the 650 production record and they got bounced at tech with non-American equipment. They had to drive about 100 miles to Salt Lake City to buy parts off of a stock bike on the showroom there. Then they got bounced for an unapproved helmet - get the gist of the rules? They eventually got the record. The only allowed visual mods are to remove the turn signals and mirrors. Handlebars can be changed as long as they use the stock mounts. If you have handlebars, you can't switch to clip-ons. Rear foot pegs have to be removed. Side and center stands can be removed, but why? With my aerodynamic 230# body, the side stand does not make any difference. Displacement can be increased to the max for that class. If your bike is a 673cc, you can bore or stroke it to 750cc. The only exception that I know of is BMST which is the old BUB and they say it has to use stock bore and stroke. Yes, some do require displacement checks and if they cannot very the bore and stroke, then they require you to pull a head. Imagine that for a weekend event!

Reactions: BobC and 880turbo

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Bob, the production class rules in the US (SCTA, ECTA, LTA) are all pretty much the same. The bike has to appear stock, other than mandatory safety equipment. One year I was bounced in tech because I had fire sleeve on the fuel lines. Even though I had just qualified for a record, they told me I had to requalify with a "stock" appearing bike. You can make all of the internal mods that you want, but need stock (US) appearing equipment.
Thanks Ed, I've been entering my H2 as P-PB-1000 but it sounds like an eagle-eyed scrutineer might bump me into MPS-1000 because as well as removing the mirrors (allowed) I also remove the plastic tail piece for the indicators and licence plate.

We have a records meeting at Elvington on 20/21 August, it will be interesting to see which class they allow me to run in. The bike is booked into the dyno' on 17th for a quick health check.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Thanks Ed, I've been entering my H2 as P-PB-1000 but it sounds like an eagle-eyed scrutineer might bump me into MPS-1000 because as well as removing the mirrors (allowed) I also remove the plastic tail piece for the indicators and licence plate.

We have a records meeting at Elvington on 20/21 August, it will be interesting to see which class they allow me to run in. The bike is booked into the dyno' on 17th for a quick health check.
Given the "newness" of you folks embracing SCTA rules, I'd be very surprised if your inspectors moved you to modified production. Let's hope not as both the MPS-BF & MPS-BG 1000cc is 240 mph and change under SCTA.

There again, you may not be gunning for an SCTA record.;)
But, again, I'd be surprised at you being bumped into MPS simply because you removed the turn signals that just happened to be attached to the tail. You might email an SCTA inspector to get the lowdown from the US SCTA perspective.

Here's the last email address I have for Dan Warner - Record Certification. [email protected]

He certainly could answer your questions or refer you to a couple of inspectors. Seldom Seen Slim at Landracing.com is an inspector for one. Great guy I might add!

·
Registered
665 Posts
I would talk to your own guys , its there interpretation you will be running on , then you can make an informed decision on setup before you leave for the track
main thing is that there consistant in there application of the regs

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I would talk to your own guys , its there interpretation you will be running on , then you can make an informed decision on setup before you leave for the track
main thing is that there consistant in there application of the regs
Hi Oz,

Absolutely agree with you 100%! I should have said it more like you just did. My only thought was throw out some contact info from a US perspective to use as a starting point since Bob's organization had only just adopted SCTA.:)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
There again, you may not be gunning for an SCTA record.;)
Last September there was a records meeting at Elvington and I was in the PBS class. Since it was "all new" classes for us there were club and national records to be established.

It was windy but my averaged speed for the two opposite direction runs over the mile was 197.9075mph with a best one-way of 204.657mph and this became the P-PBS-1000 record. I'm hoping to get it up over 200 this year if conditions are favourable.

Thanks for the input.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts