Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here we go
I have been saying what i thought the H2 needs for a power up and its time to put my money where my mouth is
Brought a damaged H2 , I am not concerned about the original fairings etc all that much as i will be replacing with custom fibreglass anyway

So the plan is a 250 mph bike on the salt , and it will take about 400hp to do it
unless i end up with an exceptional aerodynamic package

Motor wise the plan is bigger supercharger compressor , and i like Rickys concept of the supercharger speed upgrade , i may need both to get the pressure and flow i want, will need to see impeller speeds and work it out an a compressor map to be sure i get the right combo
Bigger cams, i have something here to try, let you know how it works out
Intercooler , billet plenum planned with intergrated 400hp water to air intercooler core , and also looking at a slightly smaller core that could potentially fit in the std plenum with minor modification , either system could use a front mount heat exchanger or ice tank
Ecu will be a Vipec standalone , i have one here that will pretty much plug into the std harness, just have to repin one new plug and one of the originals to match the Vipec , very handy they use the same style pins and plugs and that i can run the electric throttle and knock detection with it
Internally still to check out what Kawasaki gave us , if need be i have had custom pistons made before and as i believe this bike will be the next cult bike , its only a matter of time untill the aftermarket gears up for a large range of parts

E 85 is also in the plan , i have seen 25C intake temp drops using it on my previous LSR bikes , and a low cost race fuel too, what could be better :)

Bodywork is concept stage at the moment i would like to keep the original character of the H2, front to look the same but extend the sides more for greater rider protection and pretty much enclose all the motor area.
This will extend out to the seat /tail unit with most of the tire covered
I want to make the swingarm longer , so will remove the SSSA and go conventional swingarm style , but much braced for the ballast i will need

I think i will try the 2016 clutch updates with heavier springs, just adding superduty springs to the 2015 will have its limits
Been through that before with one bike that we had to pull the lever in for our lady rider

Anyhow, thats the mad plan
will update with pics as i go

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Ok here we go
I have been saying what i thought the H2 needs for a power up and its time to put my money where my mouth is
Brought a damaged H2 , I am not concerned about the original fairings etc all that much as i will be replacing with custom fibreglass anyway

So the plan is a 250 mph bike on the salt , and it will take about 400hp to do it
unless i end up with an exceptional aerodynamic package

Motor wise the plan is bigger supercharger compressor , and i like Rickys concept of the supercharger speed upgrade , i may need both to get the pressure and flow i want, will need to see impeller speeds and work it out an a compressor map to be sure i get the right combo
Bigger cams, i have something here to try, let you know how it works out
Intercooler , billet plenum planned with intergrated 400hp water to air intercooler core , and also looking at a slightly smaller core that could potentially fit in the std plenum with minor modification , either system could use a front mount heat exchanger or ice tank
Ecu will be a Vipec standalone , i have one here that will pretty much plug into the std harness, just have to repin one new plug and one of the originals to match the Vipec , very handy they use the same style pins and plugs and that i can run the electric throttle and knock detection with it
Internally still to check out what Kawasaki gave us , if need be i have had custom pistons made before and as i believe this bike will be the next cult bike , its only a matter of time untill the aftermarket gears up for a large range of parts

E 85 is also in the plan , i have seen 25C intake temp drops using it on my previous LSR bikes , and a low cost race fuel too, what could be better :)

Bodywork is concept stage at the moment i would like to keep the original character of the H2, front to look the same but extend the sides more for greater rider protection and pretty much enclose all the motor area.
This will extend out to the seat /tail unit with most of the tire covered
I want to make the swingarm longer , so will remove the SSSA and go conventional swingarm style , but much braced for the ballast i will need

I think i will try the 2016 clutch updates with heavier springs, just adding superduty springs to the 2015 will have its limits
Been through that before with one bike that we had to pull the lever in for our lady rider

Anyhow, thats the mad plan
will update with pics as i go
Looking forward to your progress Oz! You got my interest up when you spoke of a larger supercharger. Turbo880 here on the forum has extensive experience in that area.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will PM him and see if he has any opinion on my plans
I have a particular compressor wheel in mind , slightly larger and i think will be more efficiant at higher pressure levels

So where i am at now
Water pump will be here

trial fitting a core i have here to check potential core sizes

Just about everything i see on this bike impresses me, check the finish in the ports and compressor housing

Clutch is showing some heat , and even though the stack height is well within spec there is a mark on inside edge the cover that may suggest a clearance issue
i need to check it out more

·
Registered
587 Posts
subscribed

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I will PM him and see if he has any opinion on my plans.
Great pictures Oz! Internal modification with a larger compressor wheel is a topic we spoke of versus increasing its speed with gearing changes a couple of months ago. I believe you'll find he agrees with your plans.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have PMed him, Thanks. A regular on Lorcans site ?
Oh nearly forgot the heat exchanger , this is busa, curve is right but its too long , will get a shorter core so the tanks are within the radiator side tanks so it sits in tighter and gives more clearance to the wheel ,

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have PMed him, Thanks. A regular on Lorcans site ?
Oh nearly forgot the heat exchanger , this is busa, curve is right but its too long , will get a shorter core so the tanks are within the radiator side tanks so it sits in tighter and gives more clearance to the wheel ,
Looks real interesting man that's for sure!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sadly Mike passed away in a motorcycle accident
Lost one of our LSR brothers.....

Take care out there guys

I am totally sick hearing about Mike. I have known him for over 20 years. What a great guy. We were talking about building one of my antique Kawi 750's for land speed racing. Rest in peace.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, work has been getting in the way of play
Checked the clutch out further, the marks on the top cover are not from contact, there is currently between 1 and 2 mm clearance , hard to measure exactly with the digital verniers when angles are involved but good for a while yet ;)

Now I am EXCITED
bigger compressor arrived today
So pulled the supercharger and checked it out further ,

Exducer is about 8mm bigger and inducer 8mm bigger
housing can cope with the machine work easily , probably more complicated to machine the backing plate recess , i am going to need a complete dissasembly to do this and a full balance afterward
Intercooler guys are frustrating me, they have the cores i want to test but taking 2 weeks for a freight quote (US to Australia) , not that hard ...

Looking closer at the drive gears , curiosity , and with current compressor wheel i can see why Rickey went with regearing , i am sure the compressor has another 20000rpm in it and not get much beyond the current efficiency , if you compare it to turbo compressors of similar size and design
The inlet temps in his before and after graphs show this too

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Now I am EXCITED
bigger compressor arrived today
So pulled the supercharger and checked it out further ,

Exducer is about 8mm bigger and inducer 8mm bigger
housing can cope with the machine work easily , probably more complicated to machine the backing plate recess , i am going to need a complete dissasembly to do this and a full balance afterward
Intercooler guys are frustrating me, they have the cores i want to test but taking 2 weeks for a freight quote (US to Australia) , not that hard ...

Looking closer at the drive gears , curiosity , and with current compressor wheel i can see why Rickey went with regearing , i am sure the compressor has another 20000rpm in it and not get much beyond the current efficiency , if you compare it to turbo compressors of similar size and design
The inlet temps in his before and after graphs show this too
Really enjoying your build Oz!:)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Had a little time today to look at the regearing thing again, I see lots of talk high rpm the gears have to cope with but its not all that much

Basically, there is a around 1.3 step up from crank speed to supercharger drive gear (22 tooth) then a step down to the supercharger driven gear (25T), then the 8X planetary set
so 14000 engine rpm roughly becomes 18000 drive gear rpm then 16000 driven gear rpm then the 128000 compressor wheel rpm
i figure a fairly safe compressor speed would be 140000rpm, , so that would give a driven gear speed of 17500 or a .97 ratio, original is .88,
22/25 = .88 for 128000rpm
22/24 = .91 for 131000rpm
23/24 = .96 for 138000rpm
24/24 or 23/23 = 1 for 144000 rpm
and 24/23 = 1.04 for just shy of 150000rpm
I thought i saw a compressor map somewhere for the H2 but cant find it now
a close approximation would be the Garrett 71mm wheel or Mitsubishi 20G , i think the 20g is closer in design

From here you can calculate approximate psi the compressor rpm will give you

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow that looks awesome man im super excited to see this thing in the end its going to be a freakin rocket ship

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ordered the 2016 clutch conversion , Aussie price surprised me on this, everything else has been roughly twice US prices, this was only a little more

also decided what i am doing for a swingarm, SSSA is not going to like the load , nor can fit additions like when i add ballast to get traction on the salt , Ordering some aluminium RHS and i will make what i need, about 6" longer than stock and adjustable over most of that range , Rear wheel will end up a ZX14 , probably front too for consistency, lots of the great H2 gear is not needed on salt, seems a pity to remove it but shocks forks brakes etc are only going to get damaged within a yr so i will probably "dumb it down" to more readily available stuff (read disposable)where i can

1 - 20 of 248 Posts