Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed, but I couldn't find what I was looking for in a search..
In any case I'm pretty sure this is a discussion that most members will be interested in.

I'm preparing for a LSR event in April, it's 1.5 mile run with nearly a mile of cooldown.
My bike is somewhere close to 300hp now, timing is pretty close to stock and rev limiter is at stock (that's 13,500 right?).
I want to raise the rev limiter, and my builder wants to get more power from the timing & tuning with race fuel.

The gearing I will be using is 19/41 and I'll be lowering it/strapping it down, removing the wings, etc...
So my question is there any point in adding more power or will I be hitting the rev limiter in 6th already with 19/41 as she sits?
And how much should I raise the rev limiter above stock...500? or more?
After the event we will probably put the rev limiter back to stock.

·
Registered
587 Posts
19/41 is a good start, but I don't think you can go any longer than that with the stock swingarm

·
Registered
427 Posts
19/41 will be good for 227 mph gps at 14k rpm rev limiter, (14.5k rpm indicated i think) but only if your chain has not stretched too far.

You will need an extreme creations hub / sprocket for 40 or 38 teeth. with your hp. You WILL need to remove links with the new hub.

Stock arm will be fine.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ that was helpful, I didn't know about the 40 or 38 sprocket mod, I will look into that, thanks.
And I a D.I.D. race chain on the bike because I break the chain every time I change the fron sprocket.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Under section 5 letter f you cannot use: “front suspension travel limit straps” Make sure to safety wire your front axle and pinch bolts, safety wire the 5 lugnuts, safety wire the oil drain plug to the oil filter I have also wired my oil fill plug and I’m using a metal chain guard. Let me know if you need pictures I ran Mojave in 2016 and hope to see you in April.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I'm running 19/41. There is still enough chain adjustment left.

Even at the stock 13,000 limit it's 220 mph and the H2 has no problem pulling this gear.

·
Registered
427 Posts

Even at the stock 13,000 limit it's 220 mph and the H2 has no problem pulling this gear.
On the speedo maybe not GPS speed.

Brocks record bike used 19/41 gearing and was bouncing off the limiter at 226.9 mph gps. 6.9 mph is a lot less than 1000 rpm

You are using the gearing commander which gives indicated speeds not gps speeds.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Under section 5 letter f you cannot use: “front suspension travel limit straps” Make sure to safety wire your front axle and pinch bolts, safety wire the 5 lugnuts, safety wire the oil drain plug to the oil filter I have also wired my oil fill plug and I’m using a metal chain guard. Let me know if you need pictures I ran Mojave in 2016 and hope to see you in April.
Thanks for your input. Yes I did read the bike requirements but I did not notice the "no straps." Good to know because it will make a difference in how I set up my chassis.
Yes pics would be appreciated. My oil drain plug is already safety wired for the track. How serious are they about the lugnuts, fork pinch bolts, oil fill cap? Kinda hate to drill holes in those parts if I don't have to..

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
On the speedo maybe not GPS speed.

Brocks record bike used 19/41 gearing and was bouncing off the limiter at 226.9 mph gps. 6.9 mph is a lot less than 1000 rpm

You are using the gearing commander which gives indicated speeds not gps speeds.
Yes, of course that's calculated using Gearing Commander and there's always slippage to allow for. When using 19/42 my bike ran 205.7 through the trap and gearing Commander says that's 12,450. The tacho' was reading quite a bit more. Brock's 226.9 is around 13,700 on Gearing Commander, still some to go before the limiter but the bike was hitting it. Slippage is the culprit in both cases. BTW these are not GPS readings they are speed traps as used at records meetings, ours is accurate to three decimal places.

I was talking more about the H2 being able to pull this higher gearing and to use 19/41 without removing chain links.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Yes, of course that's calculated using Gearing Commander and there's always slippage to allow for. When using 19/42 my bike ran 205.7 through the trap and gearing Commander says that's 12,450. The tacho' was reading quite a bit more. Brock's 226.9 is around 13,700 on Gearing Commander, still some to go before the limiter but the bike was hitting it. Slippage is the culprit in both cases. BTW these are not GPS readings they are speed traps as used at records meetings, ours is accurate to three decimal places.

I was talking more about the H2 being able to pull this higher gearing and to use 19/41 without removing chain links.
Need to compensate for wheel spin also. It's significant at high speeds.

Brock
Brocks Performance

·
Registered
427 Posts

My qstarz GPS is accurate to 6 decimal places :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
19/41 will be good for 227 mph gps at 14k rpm rev limiter, (14.5k rpm indicated i think) but only if your chain has not stretched too far.

Stock arm will be fine.
That's dependent on several factors, including slip. My bike was on the limiter at 219mph with 19/41!!

13k and 220mph, maybe with a 50mph tail wind ;)

·
Registered
427 Posts
That's dependent on several factors, including slip. My bike was on the limiter at 219mph with 19/41!!

Weird- when i did 223 mph gps i was not on the limiter and held her open for longer but the HP would not pull to red line.

She hit 223 mph gps within 1.5 miles but i held her wide open for 2 miles and she just hovered around 220-222 gps mph. IAT stayed a nice cool 217F max without any intercooler on a 71F day.

I was wearing a baggy lather jacket not my tight fitting one piece leathers which probably cost me some mph in drag.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You will need an extreme creations hub / sprocket for 40 or 38 teeth. with your hp..
that was really helpful info, I ordered the hyperdrive hub from Ben yesterday. thanks.

Reactions: Boosted10R

·
Registered
587 Posts
Weird- when i did 223 mph gps i was not on the limiter and held her open for longer but the HP would not pull to red line.

She hit 223 mph gps within 1.5 miles but i held her wide open for 2 miles and she just hovered around 220-222 gps mph. IAT stayed a nice cool 217F max without any intercooler on a 71F day.

I was wearing a baggy lather jacket not my tight fitting one piece leathers which probably cost me some mph in drag.
Like I was saying there is a lot of factors that come into play when hitting those speeds. This isn't a 500+hp turbo busa that can just power through all the conditions at 220mph lol.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Extreme Creations Hyperdrive Hub

Held up in customs foreverrrrr! but just arrived last week
Now I'm set for my first LSR

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

Yes, it would need a good tail wind because the biggest obstacle to top speed on the H2 is it's poor aerodynamics.

13K and 220 is a theoretical set of figures from a gearing table, not a claim and it takes no account of slippage.

My bike makes it's peak power at around 12,000 which is the critical number for me when I work out my gearing. What it could do if it hit the red line is immaterial.

You have to have an idea of what speed your bike could do with the available power, know what rpm that's at and gear it accordingly.

There are lots of runs needed on both track and dyno' to prove the theory right or wrong. My numbers were good enough for a UK two-way mile record.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts