Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should get a few rattled.
I don't like the Manx Cat look, no tail and with the tail removed the water and crap from the road flicks up on the rider including others on the road.
The exhaust is great and I don't follow the weight issue. What is the weight range of the riders here? I bet the range is far in excess of the weight of the exhaust, why not loose some weight yourself? I guess Kawasaki got the marketing look advice wrong as well.
The original tyres are fine unless you are a track guy.

After riding now 50 years I have come to appreciate bikes that are from the past that are original. Often I hear the salesman comment that it's a shame the bike was bastardised otherwise it would be worth a lot more. What would be your choice, an original RC30 or one that's been bastardised?

Now I do agree that a Flash is a sensible thing as slowly opening up the mapping is only a Kawasaki marketing strategy.

I see the same mentality with houses and other high value purchases, got to change the kitchen, bathroom etc. If there is so much that Kawasaki got wrong with their R&D why did you buy an H2? Loud does not like Harley guys think make it go faster. The 2019 model has the same exhaust with higher HP.

Now you will jump to you defence but older guys who have been through this before like me, modified my bikes because it was the thing to do now wish I hadn't. I have another Kawasaki superbike that I have owned for 25 of it's 28 years and not modified. Just sent the fork tubes away for re-chroming, the dealer said that's a good idea, keep it original, no Chinese tubes for me thanks.

I'm not saying don't alter your bike but just accept that when the H2 is out of production it will be worth a lot less than an original one, history is on my side.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Rick, I agree 100%

I hate the Manx Cat look. But I am thinking about getting another tail bracket and chopping off about 2 inches and rotating it up just enough to clear the tire and welding it back together. That should make it look perfect.

I like the pipe, in essence it is no larger than say a pair of original Z1 900 pipes on one side. I love the quiet and efficiency. I did strip the wheels and polish the edges lightly, I hate black wheels.
I too have been riding over 50 years and worked for decades in motorcycle shops, I modified my original H2 with chambers, Morris mags, rear disk, shocks, etc. And in the end I wish I hadn't got rid of the exhaust, the mags looked stock, and although the chambers looked great the noise made me hate to take it out for over an hour.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can't agree with you more, I had an original 1980 Suzuki gs1000 S Wes Cooley edition that I sold after 6 years to buy a 1986 ninja 1000R that is the one bike I should have never sold, back then I was changing everything on it, today there's a Facebook page on the bike and everyone is going CRAZY for original parts, and those who have original parts get big bucks for them, could've, would've, should've, I just say now...my 2018 carbon is original and will stay that way and that's fine with me.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
This should get a few rattled.
I don't like the Manx Cat look, no tail and with the tail removed the water and crap from the road flicks up on the rider including others on the road.
The exhaust is great and I don't follow the weight issue. What is the weight range of the riders here? I bet the range is far in excess of the weight of the exhaust, why not loose some weight yourself? I guess Kawasaki got the marketing look advice wrong as well.
The original tyres are fine unless you are a track guy.

After riding now 50 years I have come to appreciate bikes that are from the past that are original. Often I hear the salesman comment that it's a shame the bike was bastardised otherwise it would be worth a lot more. What would be your choice, an original RC30 or one that's been bastardised?

Now I do agree that a Flash is a sensible thing as slowly opening up the mapping is only a Kawasaki marketing strategy.

I see the same mentality with houses and other high value purchases, got to change the kitchen, bathroom etc. If there is so much that Kawasaki got wrong with their R&D why did you buy an H2? Loud does not like Harley guys think make it go faster. The 2019 model has the same exhaust with higher HP.

Now you will jump to you defence but older guys who have been through this before like me, modified my bikes because it was the thing to do now wish I hadn't. I have another Kawasaki superbike that I have owned for 25 of it's 28 years and not modified. Just sent the fork tubes away for re-chroming, the dealer said that's a good idea, keep it original, no Chinese tubes for me thanks.

I'm not saying don't alter your bike but just accept that when the H2 is out of production it will be worth a lot less than an original one, history is on my side.
You’re right, loud does not make a Harley faster, in fact if not done correctly can actually make it slower. I reflash & dyno tune my Harley’s, add freer-flowing after-marlet market exhausts because from the factory the Air Fuel ratios are terrible so a good tune makes the throttle response much crisper & you pick up a decent amount of HP & torque, the very restrictive (to air flow) catalytic converter is right next to your leg which makes for a really hot ride in summer so the right after market catless pipe (especially ceramic coated) eliminates this problem & helps w/ both the sound & performance. They don’t run like they should stock or have a cat because Harley thinks the oem tune or pipe will make for better bikes or because of marketing, it’s all because of regulations.

I’ve been riding 33 years so older too, I have a few bikes & still have a Harley that I bought new 25 yrs ago. I learned a long time ago that buying bikes & keeping them completely stock for the sole reason that maybe a certain bike might be worth more far into the future or to the next owner is not the way I want to go. I want to enjoy the hellouta my bikes, the H2 could be in production in different iterations for the next 20, 30 years who knows & for a bike to appreciate in value, it’s way too rare a thing to even worry about now, certainly not worth keeping & riding a bike oem stock for decades at the expense of better performance & more fun for the sake of what MIGHT or might not happen in 30 years, life is too short. I probably won’t even own my 2015 H2 in a few years especially if a totally new/next generation H2 comes out. Plus I use the sh>t out if my bikes, put on tons of miles, some guys bought brand new 2015 H2’s & H2R’s & didn’t even ride them, bought them to flip for more money, they all got screwed at least in the short term... But if valuation is priority then removing the stock exhaust & putting it safely in a box, keeping it new to go on a 30 year old bike to whomever the next owner is might even be better/more valuable than keeping it on the bike.

I weighed the stock H2 exhaust & brackets and it was 36.8lbs, that’s 7% of the entire motorcycle!! Everyone knows that weight is the enemy of performance & not everyone is fat, where they can “lose that weight” & even if they did that wouldn’t help how the BIKE looks, sounds or handles.

There are parts on the H2 & restrictions in place solely to meet government euro/epa standards & has nothing to do with the way Kawasaki would manufacture it if left to their own devices or because of Kawasaki marketing. The stock muffler is gigantic & extremely heavy, it restricts all the beautiful notes that the bike emits & completely blocks great looks of the H2’s single sided swingarm/rear wheel...Ever see inside the stock H2 muffler? The muffler has more to do with restricting decibels than Kawasaki purposely making a huge muffler (blocking their very first single sided swingarm) because they wanted to make something with a huge design, which adds weight.

It’s the same w/ the ridiculous stock plastic rear fender/license plate holder, imo it’s hideous looking sticking out a foot past the rear of the bike, again it’s solely because of govt regulations & has nothing to to w/ Kawasaki marketing creating something that they actually wanted on the bike. They make that stock rear fender part as inexpensively & easy to remove as possible for a very good reason as do all manufactures. And I didnt get any more water or road debris from removing it. Its there stock because license plates have to stick out a certain distance from the rear of the bike/tire,,, not for looks or to prevent water from coming up at the rider.

Are you a big fan of the way the catalytic converter looks on the H2, that big square box hanging from it because that’s original too but it’s restrictive & adds unnecessary heat to the bike & rider. How about the red reflectors in the front fender? What you’re really just riding around with are parts that Kawasaki is FORCED to install on the bikes because government regulations make them. To me it’s the first stuff I chuck. Nothing wrong w/ removing the fugly & performance robbing garbage & keeping that stuff stored in a box but to ride around w/ all that government mandated junk? But different strokes for different folks.

I rode my H2 stock for 8000 miles while I waited for a full exhaust to be manufactured so I have a good idea of what it sounds & performs like stock. Have you ever rode aboard a reflashed, full exhaust H2? It’s something everyone should do before they die, my first ride w/ the reflash & exhaust I was literally laughing out loud in my helmet at how freakin awesome it is.

The stock Bridgestone RS10’s are ok, I went through 3 or 4 pairs, the new RS11’s on the 2019’s are probably better, newer tech but I’ve been installing Pirelli’s SuperCorsa SP’s on my 2015 H2, pricier but definitely noticed a big difference in handling for the better, not just on the track, the street too & it’s weird because they handle & stick better but last longer than the RS10’s.

‘Why did I buy an H2 if Kawasaki got it wrong & I was just going to modify it’? It has nothing to do w/ Kawasaki getting it wrong, they just can’t do certain things because they have to follow laws/regulations & agreements regarding where license plates are located, decibel levels, emissions standards, top speed, etc.....But simple answer; one of the main reasons is because of how much Kawasaki left on the table because it had to, even the power & top speed is restricted because of the gentlemans agreement w/ governments (which is now being chipped away) the H2 being the most restricted bike on the planet, it’s so neutered stock yet besides the cam, case has the same engine as the H2R so capable of so much more by just removing the mandated heavy & the fugy parts, removing the ecu restrictions w/ bolt-ons. All easily converterted back to factory oem stock in my garage btw, that’s why they’re called “bolt-ons”...

We didn’t have the same kind of govt regulations 30, 40 years ago, the 2-stroke H2 as an example. I just rather own a much better looking, performing & sounding bike, that’s more fun to ride,,, the bike that Kawasaki would probably manufacture if it could without all the governmental nannies bastardizing the bike. It’s not even a stretch to imagine what Kawasaki envisioned & what the H2 might be like without many of the government rules & regulations because we have a perfect example; the H2R.

Hope that helps w/ your questions. Sorry for the long post, I’ve been gone a while, lol!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Flash,tune,tail tidy,zx10 midpipe and akra muffler shorty CF tipped.Function and form.Oh yeah,upper wings and redone seat...I'm good ta go with that.Now only if they could have come up with a 5 1/2 gallon tank....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Rick, I agree 100%

Hey TedG. Was very close to a thumbs up (like) to your post, but consensus around here and have to believe it's from the countries where the h2 were sold fitted standard with the akra that the stock exhaust is a nogo. I can appreciate the sound, stealthyness, being able to ride late at night or early morning without interfering with neighbors, but if a priced right aftermarket exhaust surfaced, would you still pass?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm somewhere in the middle on several aspects mentioned above. Yes, an original bike will always be more valuable eventually. Also, as mentioned above, a few tweaks will make the bike more personal and appealing to me.

Now, one area where I really cannot justify buying a TT3 or Vandemon, is we just don't have the roads to exploit the performance. We don't have any multi-lane motorways going on for miles. We have some reasonable straights but they are still quite bumpy and you'll be bounced out of the seat at the speeds people do overseas...

I've fitted a Spark can from Brocks and disconnected the exhaust valve and locked it open. It pops and splutters but it isn't obscenely loud... To me, it is a very good compromise. And as stated above, it does open the wheel up, so the benefits of the single-sided swingarm can be appreciated...

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The truth is that very few riders can outride this bike and can only experience the modifications for a few seconds at the best. What I learnt over the years was that doing performance mods were a feel good factor but rarely was I able to take full advantage of what I did. Yeh sure I had bragging rights with other guys at to what I had done but the money spent for those few moments of performance or bragging in the end wasn't worth it. Really guys, can you tell the handling characteristics of a full tank of gas compared to 1/4, I can and it takes an experienced rider to know what it is, can you tell me? It's more of a change than a lighter exhaust would ever feel due to the centre of gravity.

Good we have this discussion going because some don't understand what they are doing and follow the hype about products. My dad told me good advice, that the fishing lures on display are to catch the buyer not the fish, it's all about money.

The only thing a street rider will get benefit from is a Flash, you will not outride your tyres, you will not notice 1/10 second better lap time, you will not notice better down force because of you H2R wings, you will not notice many things except your wallet getting empty. I would make a bold statement that if you can outride a flashed H2 and need to change it's physical makeup then what the **** are you doing with your life, you should be up there getting covered in Champagne holding trophy's.

Long explanations cover valid points but the bike will never match you, it's better than you unless you are a dedicated track racer.

All the H2 guys I know that have done mods to their bike all complain about tyres not lasting, right, their rear tyres are worn in the middle, mine a feathered on the edges, front tyres a little more rounded, mine look like a 'V' and whenever we go for a ride they hammer their H2's in the straights and give me a good seeing off but I always end up in front, why, my tyres tell the story, I ride my H2 like the factory intended, the suspension is set to my weight and where I sit in the seat.
If you think your H2 is so good then tell me when you move off the seat and pull the bike down ( actually push it down is better control ) in a corner it does something in the feed back, tell me what?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I suppose the obvious answer to Rick's comment about future value is to do what I've done. Keep the stock exhaust, the stock tail piece and anything else that's been removed from your H2. It can always go back on.

Losing 40lbs of heavy steel by fitting a titanium exhaust and fitting a tail tidy has definitely been of benefit, nothing to do with bling, fashion or bragging rights "down the pub" either. I mean performance. I have a rule to never make a modification to my bike unless there's a performance advantage. I like it to look good of course but it must satisfy my number one rule.

As for "feel good factor" Rick150, my bike is used almost exclusively for LSR and I can assure you that getting an H2 through the speed trap after a standing-mile at over 220 mph does feel good. So does getting it off the line with the interfering rider aids switched off, feeling for rear grip, sensing that wheelie, doing it all yourself and being quicker that with the TC on. It feels great.

We're all different, different ages, different abilities and different reasons for owning an H2. There's no way you can make a sweeping statement like the above and be right. It may be right for the author but that's as far as it goes. So say it about yourself if you must and people will respect that but don't assume it applies to all of us.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The only reason I own a 2018 H2 Carbon is, I can't ride a 2018 H2R legally on the road. Also, not having a warranty, and the cost of an H2R is extremely prohibitive for most of us. I believe all of us H2 owners are in the same boat, we would all own H2R's if we we had a choice. For this reason, we are all tempted to transform our H2 into an H2R.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The truth is that very few riders can outride this bike and can only experience the modifications for a few seconds at the best. What I learnt over the years was that doing performance mods were a feel good factor but rarely was I able to take full advantage of what I did. Yeh sure I had bragging rights with other guys at to what I had done but the money spent for those few moments of performance or bragging in the end wasn't worth it. Really guys, can you tell the handling characteristics of a full tank of gas compared to 1/4, I can and it takes an experienced rider to know what it is, can you tell me? It's more of a change than a lighter exhaust would ever feel due to the centre of gravity.

Good we have this discussion going because some don't understand what they are doing and follow the hype about products. My dad told me good advice, that the fishing lures on display are to catch the buyer not the fish, it's all about money.

The only thing a street rider will get benefit from is a Flash, you will not outride your tyres, you will not notice 1/10 second better lap time, you will not notice better down force because of you H2R wings, you will not notice many things except your wallet getting empty. I would make a bold statement that if you can outride a flashed H2 and need to change it's physical makeup then what the **** are you doing with your life, you should be up there getting covered in Champagne holding trophy's.

Long explanations cover valid points but the bike will never match you, it's better than you unless you are a dedicated track racer.

All the H2 guys I know that have done mods to their bike all complain about tyres not lasting, right, their rear tyres are worn in the middle, mine a feathered on the edges, front tyres a little more rounded, mine look like a 'V' and whenever we go for a ride they hammer their H2's in the straights and give me a good seeing off but I always end up in front, why, my tyres tell the story, I ride my H2 like the factory intended, the suspension is set to my weight and where I sit in the seat.
If you think your H2 is so good then tell me when you move off the seat and pull the bike down ( actually push it down is better control ) in a corner it does something in the feed back, tell me what?
Interesting take. Remember that kid it didn't matter what he had, two wheels, three, four , one. The vehicle looked good but it was the kid that made it look great. That was Kip back in the day. Didn't matter what you lent him, it was going to break.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Hey TedG. Was very close to a thumbs up (like) to your post, but consensus around here and have to believe it's from the countries where the h2 were sold fitted standard with the akra that the stock exhaust is a nogo. I can appreciate the sound, stealthyness, being able to ride late at night or early morning without interfering with neighbors, but if a priced right aftermarket exhaust surfaced, would you still pass?
I faced the same problem with my ZX11, I wanted quiet but something lighter and more HP. I found a set of pipes that were quieter, lighter, and gave a bit more HP. And I went for it..
On the H2, yes I would go for another exhaust if it were lighter and just as quiet, and of course look good. I think the Acra is hideous.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I faced the same problem with my ZX11, I wanted quiet but something lighter and more HP. I found a set of pipes that were quieter, lighter, and gave a bit more HP. And I went for it..
On the H2, yes I would go for another exhaust if it were lighter and just as quiet, and of course look good. I think the Acra is hideous.
Thank you. I must respectfully decline to enter the best exhaust competition at the moment I,m really undecided.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Thank you. I must respectfully decline to enter the best exhaust competition at the moment I,m really undecided.
It's funny, I am not a minimal exhaust fan. I think the slash cut is in the same league as the Manx Cat look.Why?? I am the extreme gear head geek, I write embedded code such as ECUs and slot machine code, and slot machine communications. But I am also an EE, a decent ME, and a decent machinist, and welder. And spent decades as a motorcycle mechanic. That being said the thing I love most about the H2 is the machine. The sounds the engine makes, The exposed engine, etc. And exhaust is an important part of the machine, chopped off exhaust shows little imagination and engineering, making an exhaust quiet and efficient has a certain charm. Function over form, and the H2 with all of it's function becomes the most beautiful form. We can leave the Form over Function to the Harley folk. The only thing I don't like about the exhaust is the weight. But I love the challenge of overcoming that weight.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don’t think majority of people
Here spend $30k+ so just look pretty
Most do it for the machine and what it can do
If looking pretty was the main objective people would buy a Ducati n call it a day.
Like people said h2 is beautiful machine to each their own
But I for one will using exhuast
For me performance is king along with reliability
As for guys not being able to ride the bike. I’ve ridden my bikes to the edge n back
So I for one will be one of the guys actually riding their h2 enjoying the limits

·
Registered
200 Posts
i bought mine because it was ugly....scary ugly like an evil space craft. infact in this very forum did someone not pun a comment that if darth vader and satan had a baby the H2 is what it would look like? i think we live in a throw away society now and i wont be keeping my h2 for ever as ill be on to the next thing and i dont bieve in keeping old or older vehicles for the purpose of an investment as **** rusts or you end up spending on maintaining these financially or it consumes your own time. nothing better than money in the bank! when i bought my H2 guys at shop asked will it be an ornament bike i said wait til you see this in a year you will be shocked and they were a week or so ago. i bought it to race and the minute it was out of dealer it went to tuner.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts