Ninja H2 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I've been kicking the tires of the H2 lately, and almost a little serious of maybe potentially buying one. I had a few questions:

-If buying used, is there a way to know how much time the bike has been run at full boost? I thought I heard the ecu keeps track.

-Is the H2 engine built as strong as the H2R? Can it be tuned safely to run 300hp?

-How is the boost controlled? I know a little about turbo set ups but not superchargers. Wastegate?

Thank you for all advice! :D

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hi everyone.

I've been kicking the tires of the H2 lately, and almost a little serious of maybe potentially buying one. I had a few questions:

-If buying used, is there a way to know how much time the bike has been run at full boost? I thought I heard the ecu keeps track.

-Is the H2 engine built as strong as the H2R? Can it be tuned safely to run 300hp?

-How is the boost controlled? I know a little about turbo set ups but not superchargers. Wastegate?

I can't answer all your questions but I've not heard of the H2R's ECU engine hours log being readable on an H2 or of anyone trying to retrieve this data. Maybe a question for Brock or Don Guhl?

For the record this log is for every 15 hours ridden at over 8000rpm. At 15 hours the H2R needs a service and tolerance check, at 30 hours it will need a major service. See thumbnail. The magnifying glass symbol means dealer inspection and the two arrows symbol means dealer change or replace. That does include pistons and rings, crank and con rod bearings and at sixty hours it's exhaust valves and con rods. You have to ask yourself if you really want to go there.

The H2 can be safely tuned to 300bhp but if you were to do that and increase it's rev-limit to 14,000 you would most likely have to observe the H2R service schedule to maintain reliability. I hope that H2 owners who do these mods (to increase revs and power) don't destroy the reputation of the brilliant H2 by neglecting the more stringent service schedule, causing premature engine failures.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hi everyone.

Except for the cam, case the H2 & H2R engines are identical. Originally Kawi said the head gaskets were different but instead they modified the case just for compression purposes. The H2 runs slightly higher compression. The engine was built to handle 1.5-2 times the stress as other liter bike engines.

If you're referring to H2's & 300 horsepower at the motor than yes. Without touching the motor many here have tuned close to 300 bhp w/ a few bolt ons (flash, air filter, power commander 5, full exhaust) to 250 rwhp on pump/ 260 on race fuel, that's in good conditions. Super charger gears can get you over 300 at the motor by increasing boost but gets a little more complicated because of inlet temps/timing, etc. but people here are running that set up as well. The real restriction on stock H2's is in the Ecu, after 10,800 rpm the power flatlines to redline 13k, throttle plates close to only 32%, derestricting this via the flash & the engine continues building hp/tq to 13k or to 14k if you want w/ a pick up of 30-50 rwhp on pump fuel depending on bike, dyno, flash/tune, conditions, rev limit, etc.

Stock H2R's don't actually produce 310/326 (w/ ram air) crank hp, it sounds like that's what you're comparing. Every H2R dyno that's every been done post factory have been from a low of 231rwhp to a high of 254 rwhp, due to the factory's overly rich 10:1 AFR in the ecu, this can be corrected easily & some H2R's owners have w/ a reflash/tune & the H2R will indeed make close to the the 310 bhp that was claimed. For now Brocks/Guhl ECU sorted Stage II H2's own the 1/4 mile & LSR records as well, not the R.

I've been running Brocks/Guhl flash 14k rev limit, w/ Brocks PCV mapping, DNA filter & full exhaust for the past 10k miles, the bike runs smoother, better now than when it was stock. Mostly street miles w/ occasional circuit track & airfield mile runs. Plus you can lose 26lbs eliminating the really heavy & restrictive catalytic converter, muffler.

Whether you derestrict/flash, increasing power across the rev band but especially after 10,800 rpm & keep the rev limit stock at 13k rpm or go to 14k rev limit like the H2R you should concern yourself w/ the H2R service schedule. Both rev limit scenarios are eliminating the masssive factory's ecu restrictions & making much more hp/tq than a stock H2 but especiallly if you spend a lot of time in similar H2R type riding conditions; racing.... The H2R's service schedule was put in place not just for the increased 14k rev limit but because of the 1) increased performance/hp/tq 2) time spent over 8K rpm 3) time spent at full throttle 4) how a bike like the H2R is ridden at the track.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great info guys. Did not know about the factory 10,800 cut out. That would definitely make some more hp. So without altering the supercharger gearing the boost is not increased? If so what is different between the 93 octane map and the race fuel map with the ecu/pc5/exaust mod? Just a leaner AFR?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Great info guys. Did not know about the factory 10,800 cut out. That would definitely make some more hp. So without altering the supercharger gearing the boost is not increased? If so what is different between the 93 octane map and the race fuel map with the ecu/pc5/exaust mod? Just a leaner AFR?
I'll let Brock answer the question regarding the track map but the track map is meant for oxygenated race fuel, MR12. No, boost stays the same, it's derestricting the ECU, correcting the stock throttle by wire restriction, aggressive ignition timing, removes 186mph top speed limiter, later version also reads higher than 189mph on speedo, lowers fan temp./turns on fans earlier, Disables 02 sensor, etc.

Most of the riding public doesn't realize that although stock the H2 is nasty, it's actually how much Kawi restricted the bike that makes it so appealing. They built the engine to handle much more power but then dialed it way back & left SO MUCH on the table easily accessible via a few bolt ons. Whether this was because of the approx. 200bhp gentlemens agreement or keeping the same engine as the H2R & then just dialing back in the H2's ECU is a marketing thing or manufacturing efficiency? That's one of the reasons though that stock the bike feels so much different, hits so hard in the lower revs., where most liter bikes have to be screaming in the revs to make close to 200bhp, the H2 is there at 10,000 rpm w/ more much more torque. The bike is a torque monster & stock the bike is probably making 90% of it's torque by only 8k rpm...

So the ecu flash unlocks all that untapped potential after that to stock 13k redline or 14k rev limit..... I mean w/ zero engine work or even SC gears w/ Brocks/Guhls ECU flash, exhaust, filter, PCV, gearing, suspension lowering Zach Millholand ran 219mph & then Sport Rider's editor ran 226mph. And the H2 probably isn't aerodynamic. My bike was incredibly fast stock but the flash package? My God!

I.e.: Here's what the H2R throttle map looks like, look at the far right table & then down:

Compare that to the H2, far right table & then down. See where the ecu is cutting power after 10,500 rpm, by the stock 13k rev limit, even though the throttle position is at 100%, throttle bodies close down to just 32%:

I just grabbed the first few dyno charts I had saved but here's what a stock bike looks like after 10,500/11k rpm vs. Brocks Stage II bolt ons :

Brocks PCV "Track Map"/ Race fuel, but you can see how the stock bike makes it's peak power at 10,500/11k rpm and flatlines to 13k rev limit:

Not sure which software this is, believe from a U.K. Poster:

Back to back on same bike w/ slip on - Stage II w. OEM filter vs. DNA:

You can even see this in Kawi's presentation, even though the revs are rising, the bike doesn't make additional power, interesting as well is (cam + compression) stock H2's make more HP & TQ then the H2R in the lower revs:

·
Registered
393 Posts
now thats some helpful posting just there ^^^^^^

Reactions: STRADALE
1 - 7 of 7 Posts