Ninja H2 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to see what kind of top speed I can hit, in a safe and legal way.
I have found the Mojave Mile, Texas Mile, and El Mirage/Bonneville, but those events ALL require extensive irreversible modifications to the bike. Things like safety wired axle nuts (thus requiring drilling though the forks), metal chain guards (how?? Chain runs through swingarm!).

There are drag strip events, but those are not long enough to go find the top speed.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Get out there on yer roads and find a nice long straight...at least 2 miles long.(maybe shorter).I've got two of em here...got mine topped out to 190+ already.No...it aint legal...but at some point,a guy HAS to go for it;)Good thing is though...on these straights...there's very little(if any)traffic.So I hit er then...once in a while.When it's clear.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You don't have to drill through the forks in order to wire the front axle/pinch bolts, typically. You drill the axle, and the pinch bolts, and wire them up.

·
Registered
674 Posts
If you cant find its limits in a mile and 1/2 at Mojave your just not trying hard enough ;)
& if you want more info about this sort of stuff not far from you drop into see Jim at JT&S at Sonoma raceway, he does Mojave , ElMirage and Bonneville and possibly a Texas this yr ,

·
Registered
587 Posts
Get out there on yer roads and find a nice long straight...at least 2 miles long.(maybe shorter).I've got two of em here...got mine topped out to 190+ already.No...it aint legal...but at some point,a guy HAS to go for it;)Good thing is though...on these straights...there's very little(if any)traffic.So I hit er then...once in a while.When it's clear.
Looks to be tough to keep it under a 150 where you ride if that video was a clue. Literally the first mile I was on the bike this year I got a ticket and it's slowed me down to nothing... Every time I get on the boil a little I get butterflies and slow down.. I've had some issues in past with my license so I'm mad gun shy.. Cop even gave me a break.. Be careful out there.. They frown upon 3times highway speed limit.. Even on bikes which generally they take.better to than cars going super fast. I figure it's a weight game. Car can do more damage to more people than a bike with speed being equal. Period.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Well...yeah...I got a nice fat ticket earlier this year on my 14.So I was a tad gunshy as well....I get it.I don't ride balls out everywhere anymore.But I still take a chance every once in a while.When conditions seem right.Been doing a lot of just cruising and enjoying the bike so far...with some high speed hijinks thrown into the mix...but I've been overall behaving.This bird makes it fun however you're riding IMO.Now that I've been to the top of this bikes stock speed,I won't be doing that again for a while....but I do want a flash.Open those plates up and raise the limiter somewhat.I'd like to break 200 with my bike this year....never quite got there with my 14.Close...

·
Registered
210 Posts
i was letting mine go the other day
i hadnt installed the silencer onto the chin of my helmut (which i usually do)
cant say how fast i was going put when i popped my head up into the wind
it created a vacum under my nose and sucked a big snotball out of my left nostrile:confused:

·
Registered
587 Posts
Well...yeah...I got a nice fat ticket earlier this year on my 14.So I was a tad gunshy as well....I get it.I don't ride balls out everywhere anymore.But I still take a chance every once in a while.When conditions seem right.Been doing a lot of just cruising and enjoying the bike so far...with some high speed hijinks thrown into the mix...but I've been overall behaving.This bird makes it fun however you're riding IMO.Now that I've been to the top of this bikes stock speed,I won't be doing that again for a while....but I do want a flash.Open those plates up and raise the limiter somewhat.I'd like to break 200 with my bike this year....never quite got there with my 14.Close...
You need a tank mount go pro so we can come for ride. Some one on this site did some 208 mph runs on 10r with nitrous. It was interesting to watch. Nearly a third the speed of sound...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Here in the UK we have a club called Straightliners who host top speed events. The main venue for this is the two-mile runway at the York Air Museum, Elvington. They also do quarter-mile sprints around the country and other motorsport events.

Bike preparation does not involve lock-wiring. The bike goes through scrutineering for safety and conformity checks, the noise level is measured and the riders helmet and leathers are inspected. Apart form that there's just an entry fee and an ACU day licence if you don't have one. You can normally run as many times as you like.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Can't you just go to a race track and rent some time with some friends? The turns might not let you get right up to top speed but you'd be able to go as fast as you want in a legal setting.

Or you can head out to Germany and drive on the Autobahn. :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
That must be nice. Can't seem to find anything here in lawsuit-happy USA.
There are numerous LSR events here in the USA. Safety-wiring is not about lawsuits...it really is about safety, Roadracing also has stringent safety requirements. While the sport involves a certain amount of danger, mechanical failure is something you try to engineer out, if possible. I am speaking as someone who has fielded bikes at over 20 LSR events in the last 8 years.

·
Registered
574 Posts
There has not yet been a motorcycle fatality at Bonneville and the sanctioning body wants to keep it that way. Other places may be less concerned about your safety and may be a little more lax on their rules. By the way, in many states it is very hard to sue non-profits, so the lawsuit angle may not be their reason for trying to protect you. If you are going to crash your bike it would be much more profitable to do it in a Wal-Mart parking lot, than in a cash poor racing association.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts