Ninja H2 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is the tail light the only light that's not LED? Why not make the tail light LED too?

Anyone know?

Greg

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I think they mean..license plate lamp????

Anyway...just a thought here...you know how sitting behind a cage with LEDS can become very 'mesmerizing'(kinda),plus the way they come on or off).It's just not the same visually as a regular brake lamp.People are used to having a lamp that illuminates..'slower' than an LED.Visually speaking.Maybe this is why?There may be something to do with the way people's eyes and brain connect with a somewhat more 'mellow' transition.Even though you might not notice it,your brain is processing the information at a certain rate when it's visually detected.Kinda like video frames.There's an optimum frame rate that connects with the processing time of the brain,which allows the 'picture' to seem smooth and all.Could this be it?I've experienced 'watching' brake lights come on from a cage with LEDS.At times,it's hard to actually 'realize' the brake lamp is 'on'.Because of the quickness of the lamp's illumination.Especially when it has a running lamp in the same fixture.Also,sometimes it's hard to detect it's on with the way the lighting is outside.It could be the lenses they use,IDK.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Hmmm...25K bike with a cheap ass bulb for the plate?"Houston,we have a problem"...:rolleyes:

And if that rear brake lamp consortium actually IS LED...my theory is...kaput!"Trust no one Mr.Mulder"...

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hmmm...25K bike with a cheap ass bulb for the plate?"Houston,we have a problem"...:rolleyes:

And if that rear brake lamp consortium actually IS LED...my theory is...kaput!"Trust no one Mr.Mulder"...
I know right, what a shame.
With a bike like this, actually any bike, you expect what ever parts are on it complements the bike whether it be a 250cc or a $25k H2

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
"you expect what ever parts are on it complements the bike"...now now,they clearly stated that the rear brake lamps lens 'adds to a devilish image'...something like that.Perhaps they didn't want that plate lamp to steal the show...???I say again,they know what they're doing.'Form following function' ...masterful stroke right there.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm thinking a bean counter was sitting there with a calculator tabulating parts cost as they were sourced or manufactured and as they got to the very end of the bike they had already hit the max budget amount and so he said "no more" - in my best Japanese accent. And the assembly guy said "all that's left is the tag lamp"- Japanese accent. So they scrounged one up from the 1980's left over parts bin. :D

On the up side, it's nice to know that if our tag lamp goes out we can pick up a bulb at any automotive parts store.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did mean 'licence plate ligh't not 'tail light'...

It just doesn't make sense to me.

I was behind an Audi this morning and I could see that he had a bright white LED licence plate light so obviosly there's not regulatory reason.

Wierd.

Greg

Reactions: shotgun15

·
Registered
331 Posts
As soon as a fender eliminator is available that whole fender? stalk thingie sticking out the back is GONE anyway along with the incandescent plate bulb.

Reactions: SilverbirdH2

·
Registered
331 Posts
"stalk thingie"...LMAO
...it looks like the one I hate on the wifes ninja 650. ...I don't tell her that though cause the eliminator is over a hundred bucks and its just an L bracket with ears for turn signals

First company that makes a stylish H2 replacement has a sale. :)

Reactions: OKH2

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As soon as a fender eliminator is available that whole fender? stalk thingie sticking out the back is GONE anyway along with the incandescent plate bulb.
For me - I really don't like the look of fender elimination kits. On top of that, on the H2 with the short tail section I think it'll look particularly bad. That's me, easily the minority.

Interesting that no one seems to know why the licence plate light is not LED.

There just has to be a reason!

Greg

·
Registered
587 Posts
For me - I really don't like the look of fender elimination kits. On top of that, on the H2 with the short tail section I think it'll look particularly bad. That's me, easily the minority.

Interesting that no one seems to know why the licence plate light is not LED.

There just has to be a reason!

Greg
I could be wrong.... But I remember reading that there can't be ant led on rear of bike in usa. Don't quote me or anything but I thought I remember something about my 10r having led in other countries but none here in us. In fact it's easy to notice the difference in rear ends for North American bikr vs eu/aus bike. My gut says it was a pita to swap out led so they just did without for all countries.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think its because it is an existing part/assembly. Automotive does same thing to use existing common OTS part and save money not having to get another DOT certified. ...like I said looks identical to the cheapie on the wife's 650 and its already passed DOT spec.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
LEDs are fine as long as they meet the colour and intensity requirements. The ZX10R has different turn signals in USA/Canada than in the rest of the world because of a FMVSS requirement for minimum separation distances between the left and right signals, and between the signal and taillight/brake light, that the original (rest-of-world) design did not meet, so we got the stalkies. The H2 already has the stalkies - evidently with LED already installed.

That the license plate lamp is not LED is because they swiped it from the parts bin. Nothing wrong with that. If you want LED in that, it's easy to find an aftermarket one.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
"For me - I really don't like the look of fender elimination kits. On top of that, on the H2 with the short tail section I think it'll look particularly bad. That's me, easily the minority."...yep...my sentiments exactly.That rear cowl is a tad short looking..depending on which angle ya gaze at it;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I mean if people care that much and want to get the LED then they can do it themselves after market. The parts bin explanation makes sense to me. I can't see it being a strict price cutting strategy in this situation because how much would an LED light actually raise the cost of the H2 and H2R?

·
Registered
539 Posts
"you expect what ever parts are on it complements the bike"...now now,they clearly stated that the rear brake lamps lens 'adds to a devilish image'...something like that.Perhaps they didn't want that plate lamp to steal the show...???I say again,they know what they're doing.'Form following function' ...masterful stroke right there.
They do indeed and done in that way as you've stated, it sure does complement the H2.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts