Ninja H2 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I arrived back home late last night from Elvington, Yorkshire our last standing-mile event of 2015 and I'm glad to say it was a successful meeting. I made several runs over the mile on my H2, five at over 200 mph with a best of 203.702. The conditions were almost zero wind, so the speeds are realistic. The bike is very stock, just a Brock's reflash, PCV with map, geared 19/42 and mirrors off. The exhaust is still the standard item, catalyst and all.

On my second run there was a bit of drama, I hit a bird when up around 180 mph. It missed the bike, so no smashed fairing or anything but hit me on the shoulder. It may have only weighed four or five ounces but at that speed the poor little thing just exploded, dead instantly, leaving a mess on my leathers. It hurt too, like being hit with a baseball bat and I'm thankful the shoulder armour in my leathers saved me from anything worse than a few nasty bruises. I felt really sad for the bird, it was quite upsetting.

Anyway, apart from that, it was a successful end to the season's land speed meetings and the start of a winter of planning and modifying for next season. One of the photographers at the meeting thinks he got a shot of me on the runway when the bike, running with TC off, pulled a massive power wheelie at around 140 at the top of third gear, if he sends it to me I'll post it.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I arrived back home late last night from Elvington, Yorkshire our last standing-mile event of 2015 and I'm glad to say it was a successful meeting. I made several runs over the mile on my H2, five at over 200 mph with a best of 203.702. The conditions were almost zero wind, so the speeds are realistic. The bike is very stock, just a Brock's reflash, PCV with map, geared 19/42 and mirrors off. The exhaust is still the standard item, catalyst and all.

On my second run there was a bit of drama, I hit a bird when up around 180 mph. It missed the bike, so no smashed fairing or anything but hit me on the shoulder. It may have only weighed four or five ounces but at that speed the poor little thing just exploded, dead instantly, leaving a mess on my leathers. It hurt too, like being hit with a baseball bat and I'm thankful the shoulder armour in my leathers saved me from anything worse than a few nasty bruises. I felt really sad for the bird, it was quite upsetting.

Anyway, apart from that, it was a successful end to the season's land speed meetings and the start of a winter of planning and modifying for next season. One of the photographers at the meeting thinks he got a shot of me on the runway when the bike, running with TC off, pulled a massive power wheelie at around 140 at the top of third gear, if he sends it to me I'll post it.
Congratulations Bob! Consistent 200 runs is a nice achievement! Too bad about the bird.

A couple of questions for you. You must have come up with a new fuel map differing from Brock's since you are still running the stock exhaust with the CAT. So, what are your new dyno numbers? A/F ratio? What fuel where you running?

Looking forward to the power wheelie photo!

Congrats again!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Bob, I am going to ditto 880's comments, what a great year you have had. We are all very proud for you. Just to clarify by stock exhaust, you mean the Akra slip-on don't you? Did you guys even get the massive Kawasaki muffler there?

Can't wait to see the wheelie shot, all mine happen so far down from the viewing area that I don't have any except on my Go Pro when things go skyward.

Ed

Reactions: SilverbirdH2

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, my fuel map isn't one of Brock's because of my bike's set-up. I have his Flash but the PCV map was created by GT Performance here in Plymouth, UK. The dyno' man, Steve A'Lee a really good engineer and tuner, works by %CO and I when asked him about AF ratio he didn't have a number, said something about it being unreliable compared to his method. Anyway, the final number with the stock exhaust, fitted with the Akrapovic muffler and pump gas was 220.1bhp. We do get the original muffler too Ed, mine's in a box and never been used.

My left shoulder's a nice shade of yellow this morning after the bird-strike. I expect it will go purple and blue in the next few days as the bruising comes out. Back to the gym tonight for a work out which should help. Happily I'm a lot better off than the bird and kind of glad it didn't take out the fairing, I'll heal.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I was going to make a champagne bottle ice bucket out of my stock silencer. I now realize its worth popping back on to carefully listen to the engine. There is a stock unused muffler on ebay uk for £175 , a lot cheaper than list price as a mint spare or just in case spare. Items like this will fall in value but what price an original Z1 exhaust now ? Maybe give it to the grandkids !they would be like wtf now but in 30 yrs time, , , ,

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Well done Bob.
Sorry about the birdy, glad you're ok..... There's some kind of witty H2 marketing commercial or 1950s Movie trailer there like "it's even too fast for flying creatures" or "decimate the worm eaters like a flying bullet",,, I just can't think of a good one.

·
Registered
787 Posts
"Kawasaki, a real hit with the birds!" ????

Well done Bob on your consistency hitting 200 mph. Have you considered stretched lighter swing arm or streamlining ?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Bob, you are right, a yellow shoulder is better than how that bird looks today. I am guessing some critters enjoyed some nice roadkill as we call it in Arkansas. I saw one of the MotoGP guys hit a bird recently too, as if racing isn't dangerous enough.

When I was in Maine early last month we were doing qualifying runs late in the afternoon. When the sun was starting to set, they told me to watch for moose on the runway. That made it easy to decide that was my last run, no way I was going to risk hitting a 1200 pound spectator.

Reactions: h2rcx

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Wow, thanks for putting that up. The original post at the top of this thread was from last year and I've been a tad faster in 2016.

At the Elvington Records meeting in September I was all set to increase my standing-mile record. This record is the average of two consecutive runs in opposite directions made within the hour and without changing anything on the bike. Usually they won't let you leave the runway between passes. I'd made a run of 202.447 in the West-East direction and was waiting to do the return run when one of our members had an unfortunate "incident" in the braking zone. This stopped the event for around 90 minutes while he was helicoptered to hospital. I was now out of time and that was the end of the meeting for me.

On the brighter side, the injured rider is recovering and vows to return next season. Also I still have my standing-mile class record set last year and now a flying kilo record to go with it.

Add to that a magazine article to show the grandkids. I'd written to PB to give them the update because they have published about me in the past and they were interested in the H2 which Michael Rutter, who tests for them, had taken round Mallory Park and featured in their World's Fastest Bikes publication. I really didn't expect them to print it though. The photo they used of me was taken by my good friend Andy, please note the new Spidi leathers which go quite well with the H2.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was just going to post this after seeing Bob on PB. Flash git. Just have the magazine on my lap reading it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BobC
1 - 11 of 11 Posts