Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
H2R w/ what's left of RS10s. I've seen this happen by overheating, real long distances at close to max mph but based on the wear strictly in the center and the factory printing still on the front tire wonder if this was from being strapped down to a Dyno improperly, seen that too dunno. Pretty shoes though.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Don't know what's been done to that RS10 to cause so much damage.

I went through a whole season of standing-miles on one tyre, something like thirty passes plus a thousand road miles with nothing but normal wear to see. This was the tyre just before I changed it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Don't know what's been done to that RS10 to cause so much damage.

I went through a whole season of standing-miles on one tyre, something like thirty passes plus a thousand road miles with nothing but normal wear to see. This was the tyre just before I changed it.

Sustained high speed for prolonged distance overheating the center tread. I think I saw One Arm Bandit had this problem after I think he quoted doing something like 30 miles at around 200MPH. Outside the design parameters of the tire.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Sustained high speed for prolonged distance overheating the center tread. I think I saw One Arm Bandit had this problem after I think he quoted doing something like 30 miles at around 200MPH. Outside the design parameters of the tire.
Yes, it was OneArmBandit. I mentioned that possibility below but have also seen this happen form being strapped down too tightly on a Dyno. Given that there's really no wear at all anywhere on the sides of the rear tire, that the front tire still has the factory writing and that it's an H2R (therefore the likelihood of it being ridden on the street for prolonged distances is diminished), if I had to bet I'd say Dyno but who knows.

I really like the RS10s, they don't last very long but no Street/track tire will on stage 2 H2s. I'm on my 3rd set 6500 miles. Road surface temp. is a huge factor in how long these tires last, the higher the temp the more rubber gets peeled off. Think there is also something to be said for keeping the oem tire that was chosen for the bike & tested in conjunction with developing the traction control, abs, suspension systems etc.

You're not going to see extreme wear from mile events there's not enough time for the tire to heat up. Pic of my literally brand new tire after only 2 20 minute track sessions:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I cold tore my stock RS10's but not that deep and definitely that long, he was lucky, a blow out at high speed could mean lights out permanently. Full probably used up a few of his 9 lives.

Rhody...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I know this has happened on the H2R doing straight line high speed runs using the V01 Bridgestone slick, in fact Bridgestone themselves specifically advise against it. Not heard of it on the RS10 before, although 30 miles at 200+ is a bit different than the standing-miles which I do.

Quite a while ago we asked Avon, the British tyre maker, if their road tyres were safe for our quarter-mile sprinting and top-speed racing. This was when they were only rated "Z" for 150 mph and we were beginning to crack the magic 200. They told us that they put them on a test rig and ran them at that speed and loading for 24 hours. They said, off the record, shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sustained high speed is the killer , have ran a lot of different tires over 200mph in the last 12 yrs (when i started landspeed racing ) no outright failures
lots of chunked rears if wheelspin was not controlled , one nearly failure on front at 256mph
Main thing if your pushing the limits, check them often , watch the wear rate , look and feel for delamination (bulges that give a **** of a vibration )
and a personal rule i have is not to use a tire that has been used hard on a dyno for extended tuning sessions on sustained high speed use, it goes on my streetbike

·
Registered
674 Posts
Oh and after checking current tire models and suitability we are using V02
Myself and others that are aiming and achieving above 250mph have been using the Bt003 race for a few yrs with no failures and the VO range look just as capable

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yep chunking , grip or long life ,always the compromise

even with the chunking the case is sound , not going to fly apart if you ride home at highway speed , but much further riding like that would have the entire centre gone, then it gets hazardous

just shows a harder compound is needed in that situation

·
Registered
587 Posts
Wow OZbooster is that a Q3?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Seems odd that he has the street tires on it. The bike is so illegal anyway, if he was going to ride it on the street (which it looks like he is) he would be better off leaving the slicks on?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Medium compound Dunlop GPA, nothing against that tire for its intended use, we just put more than twice the weight and a lot more speed than it was designed for , even in that state it held full pressure
if you want to see what it felt like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrbgNNETjBY (sorry for the Suzuki guys i know you would rather a green bike )

·
Registered
587 Posts
^Holy jeez! That was wild.

·
Registered
674 Posts
More than a bit stupid too , i knew what the black flecks hitting the helmet were from the first one or 2 , previous chunking on the rear only looked like the link above , didnt think it would delaminate
And i was 20+ mph faster than i had gone before i figured only a 1/4 mile to go and i was through the timing zone to make it official
realy turned bad when i rolled off the throttle and put the full weight + downforce back on the front tire , thought at that time "this is going to hurt "
lucky for me the tire never lost air

Lot of you guys have not been near 200 before , the right tire choice, pressure and aware of regular checking may save you some problems

1 - 20 of 30 Posts