Ninja H2 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In strange news...

Online publication Speedweek.com has reported that Moto2 rider Dominique Aegerter will be testing a Kawasaki “prototype” machine in Jerez later this month on Michelin tyres. The Swiss rider allegedly made contacts during his test with Avintia Racing last season, when he rode the Avintia Kawasaki bike, and has since been asked to provide his feedback once more. Details about the bike or why the test is being done have not been revealed. Kawasaki has not been in MotoGP since 2008, and has not made any official announcements about a return.
"Yes, I will test on 26 and 27 January with Kawasaki in Jerez. My team has threaded the, as it did the test with Avintia. The test team of Kawasaki is working there with me. I will drive a prototype. The invitation to this test came directly from the factory. I have a few people met at the test in Barcelona that are involved in the Kawasaki project. What I will test exactly, I do not know yet. The machine is however equipped with Michelin tires. But not with those who are using the 2016 MotoGP class"
Yet Kawasaki says NO COMEBACK....?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Moto gp is the highest form of moyorcycle racing in the world and Kawi not participating is unacceptable for it to continue imo. For the last few years they have been concentrating on wsbk and the gen 4 10r. particularly in '12 when Tom Sykes nearly won the championship, and would win it in '13 and almost win it this year but missed by a couple points.. They have learned a lot from the 10r and they should develop an all out motogp bike..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Agreed Turtle...

BUT

I just don't know if Kawa wants to put in the wrench time to create a competitive bike on the same level as Honda and Yam. In terms of spending, competing for titles and race wins on a mildly breathed on 10R is far more cost efficient then pouring buckets of money into a program that will end up running around in 6th-10th...

I'm not saying I don't want to see them come back, I'm saying I can understand why they might not come back...

·
Registered
587 Posts
Bazaar, they don't have a choice imo, if they want to be in big boy racing that is... Take nothing sway from wsbk and bsb as I am a fan but still.. Motgp is the top of the heap. It didn't seem like it so much when they were 2 strokes but now for sure

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bazaar, they don't have a choice imo, if they want to be in big boy racing that is... Take nothing sway from wsbk and bsb as I am a fan but still.. Motgp is the top of the heap. It didn't seem like it so much when they were 2 strokes but now for sure
Some of the commentista seem to think its a new ZX10 proto... which would be odd them having Aegeter test it as he's not with the factory like Sykes/Rea.

Those 2 strokers were out for blood...

http://www.ninjah2.org/forum/off-topic-discussion/3329-taste-what-were.html

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pics, rode at the Jerez WSBK Test... Bike was brought by Akira, possibility that Akira could oversee Kawasaki dipping a toe back in like Gresini is doing for Aprilia...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
You think it's just a coincidence that the this bike is being developed at the same time the H2/H2R has hit the production level?Could this be a big brother of the 10R without supercharger?Possibly a 2016 model that certain people(here)THOUGHT was gonna be an H2 production run?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You think it's just a coincidence that the this bike is being developed at the same time the H2/H2R has hit the production level?Could this be a big brother of the 10R without supercharger?Possibly a 2016 model that certain people(here)THOUGHT was gonna be an H2 production run?
The eminent David Emmett sets all straight... Its an Akira project not at all associated with Kawasaki... That is unless this is an excellent con job, keeping things hush hush...

https://motomatters.com/opinion/2015/01/27/kawasaki_to_return_to_motogp_i_don_t_thi.html

Although I doubt it because the bike they had out was little more then last years Avintia with a new chassis...

Will we really see Kawasaki return to MotoGP? There are good reasons to suspect that we will not, at least not in the next couple of years. The last time Kawasaki were involved in MotoGP, they found themselves hemorrhaging money, with little to show for it. Five podium finishes, no wins, yet spending €60+ million a year. When they decided to leave at the end of 2008, when the global financial crisis struck, Dorna may have let them off relatively lightly, but it still cost Kawasaki more than they wanted. Kawasaki's years in MotoGP were, above all, a costly failure.

Contrast that with their efforts in World Superbikes. Once they switched their focus to WSBK after leaving MotoGP, their results quickly started to improve. In 2012, Tom Sykes missed out on the title by just half a point, then won the title the next year, missing out again in 2014, losing the championship in the final race of the season. For 2015, Kawasaki have two of the top title contenders on their books, with Sykes and new teammate Jonathan Rea. Instead of spending €60 million, they are spending less than €5 million, and probably considerably less than that. If racing is about marketing, then winning races in World Superbikes makes a better sales pitch than scratching around in tenth in MotoGP.

Reactions: SilverbirdH2

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
So that bike in the pics there ISN'T a new Kawasaki?I guessed it was.Maybe I have this all wrong then?Wouldn't be the first time;)...so the bike in the pic is a GP Kawasaki 'experimental' then?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So that bike in the pics there ISN'T a new Kawasaki?I guessed it was.Maybe I have this all wrong then?Wouldn't be the first time;)...so the bike in the pic is a GP Kawasaki 'experimental' then?
Its an Akira built chassis with a WSBK 10R engine thats been breathed on heavily by Akiras tuners...No official involvement from Kawasaki...but hey Aprilia and Suzuki came back, KTM joins in 2016 or 2017, all thats missing is BMW and Kawasaki in terms of the big factories, ok well Harley too (but I don't think they want to win GP world titles anymore... ;))

1 - 12 of 12 Posts