Ninja H2 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone directly with Kawasaki support (not local dealer but the main support team) who have advised me that the rust drips that appear to be coming from my frame requires a bung kit which they will provide FOC (which was the reason for my call) but while I had the tech on the phone I asked what the score is with modifying the bike and how it would effect the warranty......

He told me very clearly that their policy is if you remap the bike and alter any of the ECU settings then it would void the warranty by default if there were any engine or ECU failures. You would then (on your own back) have to 100% prove to them that the revised fuelling or even the extra power and stress the motor and all components experience from the extra power had no effect or any bearing at all on the fault.

so effectively if you have remapped your bike then you've lost the warranty on the motor and lots of other parts :( shame as I was definitely going to remap the bike but now im not touching it till the warranty expires in 4 years time as its bloody expensive if something fails on the H2

Worth knowing that this is Kawasaki's official stance as the local dealer said to me that it should be fine to do it as long as its a well known tuner....:confused:

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you're in the US, a manufacturer has to prove that your modification caused the problem in order to deny warranty. That said, I'm sure that Kawasaki's official line is you're on your own just to give themselves an out.

With that being said, the H2 seems to be one of the most generous bikes of all time when it comes to goodwill warranty. I've heard multiple cases of motors failing due to modification where Kawasaki warrantied it anyways. ****, I know of a case with an H2R where the supercharger was destroyed 100% by the fault of the owner, and Kawasaki replaced it for free (on a bike that officially, has no warranty).

·
Registered
891 Posts
so effectively if you have remapped your bike then you've lost the warranty on the motor and lots of other parts
you have to have a work-a-round & a plan if you go this route. My mechanic & I have already discussed this,t he plan would be to put the bike back to stock and then he would take it to the Kawi dealership where the service mgr is a close friend of his, and he assured me there would be no problem. The only wild card would be if Kawi sent someone from corporate to get a first-hand look at the damage before authorizing the repair. Another option is to take your ECU out and put it on the shelf, buy another one and flash it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
you have to have a work-a-round & a plan if you go this route. My mechanic & I have already discussed this,t he plan would be to put the bike back to stock and then he would take it to the Kawi dealership where the service mgr is a close friend of his, and he assured me there would be no problem. The only wild card would be if Kawi sent someone from corporate to get a first-hand look at the damage before authorizing the repair. Another option is to take your ECU out and put it on the shelf, buy another one and flash it.
Well you my friends would be **** out of luck because Kawi sends out a rep to inspect the parts and the bike to come up with the cause of the failure. They can also pull the info from your ECU to tell if its been flashed or not. At that point its up to Kawi to decide off the report from their Rep that was sent out and the dealership rather or not they will warranty the bike. Ask me how I know.....Personal experience.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Been that way with Triumph for many years, there ecu's were first hacked in 98 and since then any warranty claim has to have the ecu sent too , if its flashed they usually dont cover it

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just got off the phone directly with Kawasaki support (not local dealer but the main support team) who have advised me that the rust drips that appear to be coming from my frame requires a bung kit which they will provide FOC (which was the reason for my call) but while I had the tech on the phone I asked what the score is with modifying the bike and how it would effect the warranty......

He told me very clearly that their policy is if you remap the bike and alter any of the ECU settings then it would void the warranty by default if there were any engine or ECU failures. You would then (on your own back) have to 100% prove to them that the revised fuelling or even the extra power and stress the motor and all components experience from the extra power had no effect or any bearing at all on the fault.

so effectively if you have remapped your bike then you've lost the warranty on the motor and lots of other parts :( shame as I was definitely going to remap the bike but now im not touching it till the warranty expires in 4 years time as its bloody expensive if something fails on the H2

Worth knowing that this is Kawasaki's official stance as the local dealer said to me that it should be fine to do it as long as its a well known tuner....:confused:
I had my frame replaced very early days as i wasnt happy with spraying solution inside of frame and plugging it.New frame was fitted with plugs it was a hard choice as i wasnt real sure about my bike being tottaly stripped but it all went well.

·
Registered
414 Posts
This is all very interesting, as the shop I bought my H2 from here in S.Aust stated the warranty would not be affected and they did the Woolich flashing! Hopefully I will never have to find out the hard way.

As for extended warranties, here in Aus. there is a general legal clause that covers items even after standard warranty periods are over, in other words if it can be proven that the item/part causing failure is considered not to be expected to wear/break from "normal" use then it can be covered even if the item is out of warranty. However, proving it is a component that would normally be expected to last beyond any warranty period is the issue! (I've had this issue with other items - not motorcycle related - with varying success).

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I think it's always been the case, here in the UK at any rate, that warranty work would be on the condition that the bike hadn't been abused or modified in any way which compromised the engine or any other parts of the bike by operating outside the original intended use. Other than that it's at Kawasaki's discretion.

I've spoken with the Japanese H2 design and build team about my H2 being used for LSR, also with Kawasaki UK and they were really interested to hear what I could do with the bike after minimal modification. There were no warnings about voiding the warranty or raised eyebrows. I reckon that if my engine failed they would be interested to see what exactly had gone wrong. That's not to say they'd fix it for free but in the past I've had problems with a bike I was sprinting, a gearbox issue, and Kawasaki offered me free parts. It all depends on the individual circumstances, what failed and why as well as your own relationship with Kawasaki and your dealer.

·
Registered
414 Posts
BobC, adding onto that, many years ago, 2002 to be exact, a bloke here had his 2000 A1 ZX12R literally burn to the ground after a high speed run on a quiet country road. Basically what happened was he was attempting top speed runs on the bike, only "mods" I know of were an Akrapovic full system and powercommander. He was at speed when the engine decided it didn't need 4 pistons and spat one out - bike pulled over, then caught fire and melted, I've seen the pics! Like a horror movie!!

Anyway, he discussed it with the local Kawasaki shop, who got in touch with Kawasaki Parent company in Japan, they were very interested in why/how the bike decided to drop its lunch and sacrifice itself to the god of motorcycling on the side of the road. Very likely the bike was running too lean up top and cooked a piston etc. BUT Kawasaki ended up offering him a replacement new 2002 ZX12R!! Bloody lucky I'd say! Just goes to show the parent company was more interested in how and why the bike failed at speed on there flagship rocket than getting pedantic over warranties etc. Obviously an isolated example of a bike manufacturer giving the benefit of doubt to the owner, but still, reflects your experience of the attitude of the H2 designers being absolutely absorbed and involved in the pursuit of performance on their machines I'd say!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts