Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday evening I was at a meeting in Bourne End, the Kawasaki UK headquarters with the UK General Manager and a team of Japanese engineers and designers from Kawasaki.

These were the actual guys who made the bike. The project leader, the engine designer, the engine tester etc. They wanted to meet some owners with a view to obtaining feedback. There were just four of us invited to be there.

Firstly we had to introduce ourselves and give them an idea of who we were, what our interests were and something of our biking history.

Then the point of it all, feedback on their product. We had to give them details of any changes we'd made to our own H2, what changes or improvements we would like to see in the future and lots of critique both positives and negatives.

A thoroughly enjoyable evening with some great people who all love bikes. I got back home at 02:30 after my 450 mile round trip. A long way to go for a chat and a sandwich.
:) (I went in my car)

Edit: nearly for got to say that we were given another hard-backed book on the H2 and we got it signed by the design team. Brilliant souvenir.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yes a very enjoyable evening , amazed to find there were only four of us invited and were totally outnumbered by the Japanese Kawasaki H2 design team .
The signed ninja book was a nice touch but I also took the opportunity to take my H2 book that came with the bike and the H2 engine designer and the H2 stylist both kindly signed them for me .
I have posted a picture of this in my ( supercharged ) gallery but I'm not able to post it with this reply for some reason .
Please feel free to add it to this thread if you are able ?

The meeting over ran and lasted around three hours so they listened very carefully to any points brought up good or bad and notes were taken so overall I was very impressed with Kawasaki's commitment to this product and shows its going to be the first of many supercharged bikes in the future ( my words not Kawasaki's) .

·
Registered
835 Posts
Did they just email you an invite and did you manage to wheedle any info out of them for future designs?
My feeling was that the river mark will be used in the future as a premium product symbol something along the lines as Toyotas approach with the Lexus brand .
I suggested an official Kawasaki ECU that increased the power that could be sold with a warrantee or maybe just sold for "track days use only " that had better fuelling than the standard H2

Nothing was said but I cannot see Kawasaki not selling as many H2 as they can produce in the future hopefully they will be different to the original 2015 model in someway to preserve the value of the original model.

·
Registered
219 Posts
do you know if the zx-10r 2016 will be design-similar or not ?

and the zx-14r ? this is the end ???

no pictures of the meeting ?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The meeting over ran and lasted around three hours ......
I woud have stayed all night if necessary. During a break I showed Kazuki Arima, the Japanese engine tester, a video I had on my iPhone of a 200mph run on my ZZR1400. He loved it. I told them about the modifications I'd done to my bike for LSR, ECU flash etc. and that I'd already run 202 in a mile. If they minded at all it didn't show, they are the team who gave Richard Gadson his bike so I guess they were expecting to hear that sort of thing from an owner.

By the time I got back from Bourne End to the M4 motorway to head westwards and home they'd closed the road after Reading for repair work. There followed a tour of the country lanes around and through Newbury to get back to the motorway. A total lack of diversion signs so thank goodness for sat-nav and so glad I went by car. I eventually arrived home at 02:30.

A 450 mile round trip for a chat and a sandwich, we love our H2's that much. :)

·
Registered
867 Posts
My feeling was that the river mark will be used in the future as a premium product symbol something along the lines as Toyotas approach with the Lexus brand .
I suggested an official Kawasaki ECU that increased the power that could be sold with a warrantee or maybe just sold for "track days use only " that had better fuelling than the standard H2

Nothing was said but I cannot see Kawasaki not selling as many H2 as they can produce in the future hopefully they will be different to the original 2015 model in someway to preserve the value of the original model.
So they are now going to keep building the H2?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I woud have stayed all night if necessary. During a break I showed Kazuki Arima, the Japanese engine tester, a video I had on my iPhone of a 200mph run on my ZZR1400. He loved it. I told them about the modifications I'd done to my bike for LSR, ECU flash etc. and that I'd already run 202 in a mile. If they minded at all it didn't show, they are the team who gave Richard Gadson his bike so I guess they were expecting to hear that sort of thing from an owner.

By the time I got back from Bourne End to the M4 motorway to head westwards and home they'd closed the road after Reading for repair work. There followed a tour of the country lanes around and through Newbury to get back to the motorway. A total lack of diversion signs so thank goodness for sat-nav and so glad I went by car. I eventually arrived home at 02:30.

A 450 mile round trip for a chat and a sandwich, we love our H2's that much. :)
Were they given any feedback about using the bike on the roads or was it all about speed runs ?
Did they seem interested in how fast it has been taken and flashing ECU's or were they equally interested in it as a road bike ?
What was your feel ...... did they have a preference as to what type of bike they intended or want it to be ?

I'm interested so that it might indicate which way they'll take future bikes and therefore wether I'd be interested or not.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Were they given any feedback about using the bike on the roads or was it all about speed runs ?
Did they seem interested in how fast it has been taken and flashing ECU's or were they equally interested in it as a road bike ?
What was your feel ...... did they have a preference as to what type of bike they intended or want it to be ?

I'm interested so that it might indicate which way they'll take future bikes and therefore wether I'd be interested or not.
I was the only one of the four owners there who was into LSR, the others were road riders but all had a lot of experience and a number of other bikes in their ownership. I think their input was possibly more valid than mine but we agreed on some points, particularly the throttle response and low windscreen. There was some discussion about the indicator switch which some find difficult to use, not me I might add. The tank range was also mentioned but apart from making it bigger I can't see any progress there.

It was almost exclusively a data collecting exercise by the H2 project team, nothing was given away. They did offer some alternative dash layouts for comment and there was some discussion about the supercharger finding its way onto other Kawasaki models but nothing confirmed.

·
Registered
539 Posts
That's a killer combination of bikes to have, the kind of combination that Kawi should have taken on tour to the various motorcycle shows for the world to see while giving folks a first look at the H2/H2R

·
Registered
835 Posts
I was the only one of the four owners there who was into LSR, the others were road riders but all had a lot of experience and a number of other bikes in their ownership. I think their input was possibly more valid than mine but we agreed on some points, particularly the throttle response and low windscreen. There was some discussion about the indicator switch which some find difficult to use, not me I might add. The tank range was also mentioned but apart from making it bigger I can't see any progress there.

It was almost exclusively a data collecting exercise by the H2 project team, nothing was given away. They did offer some alternative dash layouts for comment and there was some discussion about the supercharger finding its way onto other Kawasaki models but nothing confirmed.
Yes I think you have very well summed up the evening .
A genuine interest was taken by all the points raised , I think we got across well the few not so good points like the throttle / fuelling issue ,indicator switch , tank range and the ease in which the paint marks etc but also talked about the many more good points .
The Japanese team and the UK manager would all make good poker players so don't expect any facts from this post as we are way down the food chain . ( not that they made us feel anything but very important )

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thanks for the info and feedback guys. It's interesting that Kawasaki have done this - I've been working in the bike trade for over 10 years and I don't recall any other manufacturer seeking similar owner feedback directly into the factory design and engineering teams.

·
Registered
787 Posts
The dash layout bit is interesting. As one of the very first in world to have a H2 I had a long chat with Kawasaki in April when I already had 2000 miles under my belt. I mentioned the dash was a chocolate fireguard and suggested lots of dials so at a glance all systems could be checked. I even suggested dials inside dials. Did this come through in the prototype dash boards?

BTW going in for major surgery Monday. Apparently UK shoulder surgeons have been sent the scan image and there's a general sense of WTF. Just glad they are going to try to rebuild me . I've been told I won't ride again and if so what a way to go out.

There's an old saying ," Its been real , its been nice, sadly it ain't been real nice. " No regrets,,what a bike! You really can only get it by owning one.

One last thing, I need to know the orientation of the "tilt" , mercury switches in the tail unit to attempt to start the bike please ?

I will offer the bike here first if it comes to it. The engine appears untouched. It will still make an amazing special. The reg H2R CX will stay with the bike regardless.

I won't be darkening your door step with updates of my progress, I wish you all fast and safe riding. Gentlemen , its been a pleasure .

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
DUDE...WTF are you talking about?This is bullshit,pardon my french.Of course you'll ride again...and on your H2.Isn't the tipover switch up in the nose under the screen?I'll look.

Yes...it's right there under the front of the screen(remove)...next to the relay box.Right in the center of the nose.You should ONLY have to get the bike upright,in N...cycle the key...that should reset it.You shouldn't need to remove anything off your bike.Kill switch is off,right?

"Gentlemen , its been a pleasure "...no way.You aint leavin.Doctors have been wrong before...they are with this diagnosis now.Heal up...get your surgery...you'll see...things will level out.Just don't talk like that.OKAY?This place is yer home away from home....**** yeah keep us posted.We're a special group here...you're one of us.Stay strong..things will be fine.Shiite man...you endoed into a fence and broke yer shoulder...serious...but not 'stay off bikes' serious.If you're able after all this stuff is done and healed...to move yer shoulder with any range of motion,you can certainly hold a hand grip and steer it...right?Okay...so hush up about 'they say'...F that.:x

·
Registered
438 Posts
H2rcx, I hope your surgery gets you on the road for complete healing. After this happens, yes they will tell you that you can't ride again. But just wait and see how you yourself feel. They told me that I would never ride again. I believed them for a few years. But after a while, I knew that I couldn't go on living that way without my bike. I am getting all of the cutting edge safty equipment, and plan on asking Don to help me with the throttle mapping. I'm sorry, but I just have to have my bike. I'm not living unless I have my bike.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts