Ninja H2 banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Gotta love forums sometimes.
I was just posting up the options I found as I had spent some time investigating and wanted to warn people that the K&N was the wrong filter.

I don't expect to convert anyone that only wants to run OEM but remember, Kawasaki don't make oil filters and I suspect that Hiflofiltro who have been making OEM filters for 50 years probably make them for Kawasaki too.

Hiflofiltro: Why Hiflo?

Hiflofiltro have a record of zero failures from many millions more filters than Kawasaki have ever sold.
I'll let you know if I'm the first person to smoke an engine using them.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I'm not sure why anyone with a sophisticated machine like the H2,the motor and metallurgical build.The Engineering that went into producing this motor would think that Kawasaki 'could have done better' in a filter design for it.Or some aftermarket company.I think when Kawasaki says 'use only Kawasaki parts' on their manuals,they aren't simply trying to make money.That's my opinion.OEM only for me.Except for the midpipe and exhaust muffler.Include a flash after that to match the flow rate.We know they were detuned purposely.So opening it back up should be fine.I wouldn't go any other route with Oil or filters.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Gotta love forums sometimes.
I was just posting up the options I found as I had spent some time investigating and wanted to warn people that the K&N was the wrong filter.

I don't expect to convert anyone that only wants to run OEM but remember, Kawasaki don't make oil filters and I suspect that Hiflofiltro who have been making OEM filters for 50 years probably make them for Kawasaki too.

Hiflofiltro: Why Hiflo?

Hiflofiltro have a record of zero failures from many millions more filters than Kawasaki have ever sold.
I'll let you know if I'm the first person to smoke an engine using them.
After thinking about this issue, my biggest concern is not so much filtering capabilities, but flow.

The H2 has multiple sprayers that spray oil under the pistons and on the transmission. They wouldn't have gone through the trouble of making those sprayers if it was just for laughs.

So using an aftermarket filter, will it flow at least as well as the OEM?? If it doesn't those sprays won't hit the critical parts or won't supply enough oil. How do we know????

·
Registered
4 Posts
After thinking about this issue, my biggest concern is not so much filtering capabilities, but flow.

The H2 has multiple sprayers that spray oil under the pistons and on the transmission. They wouldn't have gone through the trouble of making those sprayers if it was just for laughs.

So using an aftermarket filter, will it flow at least as well as the OEM?? If it doesn't those sprays won't hit the critical parts or won't supply enough oil. How do we know????

search “ K&P Engineering “ …. model “ S1” fits the H2

after 5,000 miles inspection of the filtering apparatus checks out clean

·
Registered
2 Posts
In general oil filters Stainless steel or paper are only as good as its weakest link, media durability, seal o ring , glues etc. From my experience, paper works well but has a finite life span. Purchase a few canister style filters and cut them open and examine the seal compound used as well as structure, quantity, quality of paper pleats along with bonding agents(glue) you will find wide variances in general overall quality. Are the seals Viton or Buna? Buna very cheap short life span and it beings to pass quickly dependant on heat and pressure. Glue/epoxy quality, same deal.
H2 engine being boosted, the oil temps will be hotter than a NA engine, that is for sure.
One must also consider the flow rate of the given filter at varying oil temps and viscosities.
In regards to stainless steel they have been used in industrial settings for many decades. some weak points of SS oil filters are the high cost of replacement and the difficulty of properly cleaning (Sonic chemical bath). As earlier stated most filter even stainless will use an epoxy or glue to bond the filter portion to the end caps and these break down over time. When they do well now you have dirt in your mains etc. The seals/o rings need to be changed regularly, but rarely are.
As well they have a life span, generally will not hold as much "dirt" when compared to a quality paper pleat unit of comparable size.
Lastly if a stainless steel filter for oil has any water or coolant attempt to pass thru the filter, it will plug off and experience bypass situation, I have personally rebuilt dozens of industrial engines that did not have a oil filter differential pressure shutdown safety, very very costly.

Does any one out there in H2 land know the bypass differential pressure for the oil system? When the filter plugs or viscosity is high at what point does the oil system or oil filter bypass un filtered oil?

Too cut to the chase.
I would say that Kawi has to ensure that the engine oil filter they supply can do the job at hand, pressure, temp, duty cycle, bypass point, foreign debris capacity.
If they get it wrong...... well it is hard to make a profit when your engines wipe out under warranty.
No one has more to lose than Kawi!
Your engine will not last long with dirt bypassing the oil filter.
Your dice, you roll them :)
Kawi has rolled theirs!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts