Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Looks like you took the front fairing right off. When I removed the ECU on my H2 I put bubble-wrap over the front fender and then just undid the four bolts and pulled the fairing forward. No need to take anything else off.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Bob c, are you from uk? If so I hear that it is very difficult for us to access our Ecu as opposed to the USA bikes? I would have thought they would be the same but apparently not.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I haven't tried to get mine out yet but the retaining bolts are tamper proof. Of course flashing raises a warranty issue. Whereas the US bikes software can be returned to OEM; UK bikes will also have to have virgin tamper proof fasteners in case of a warranty claim. Kawasaki can read various historical data so they might detect flashing by other means anyway. But a set of mangled fasteners will be a dead giveaway, LoL. (I bought my H2 when in London). I got the hint about the fasteners when chatting with my dealer about mods. They declined to remove the ECU for me as it would void the warranty. Given that the extended warranty is so cheap and Kawas are built like tanks it might be worth waiting till it is out of extended warranty or at least weigh up the odds and costs if you melt some bits.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Euro bikes have tamper proof bolts holding the ecu cage, but not for warranty reason. The main reason is that euro bikes have immobilizer functions, while us bikes don't, so it's mainly for safety reason. Same happen also to the new zx-10.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Bob c, are you from uk? If so I hear that it is very difficult for us to access our Ecu as opposed to the USA bikes? I would have thought they would be the same but apparently not.
Yes, I'm in the UK. If you look at the image I posted above you can see the tamper-proof bolts. Removal is made even harder because you cannot remove the plugs from the ECU until you have the sheet-metal cage undone. So you have to remove those pesky bolts in-situ.

A small drift can get them moving if you don't have the special tool, it's a real pain. Obviously once removed you fit regular ones when you put the ECU back.

Apparently something to do with European legislation to stop us having fun.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Looks like a real pain? Are there any reputable companies in the uk flashing these bikes or does it have to be sent to guhl/brocks/trickstar?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Looks like a real pain? Are there any reputable companies in the uk flashing these bikes or does it have to be sent to guhl/brocks/trickstar?
VeloxRacing is in the UK and they are the UK distributor for the FlashTune software (FTECU.com). You also have the option to send your ECU to them and have them flash it.

I flashed my bike using the Flashtune software and there's a video on my YouTube channel showing just how easy it is.

I haven't been to the dyno yet but Flashtune (FTECU) has presence in the MotoAmerica Series and they are the tuner of choice for the domestic series in the USA. These boys actually race and give support to race teams.

If you're in the UK you can order from Mike Bienvenu at VeloxRacing
Shop - VeloxRacing.com - FTecu Flashtune Graves Rotobox

They respond well to emails too.

FTECU's website: https://ftecu.com

Regarding the differences between the two flashes, the Guhl flash doesn't adjust any fuel mapping (at least based on what I read here). That's why Brock sells the custom map. The FTECU flash has modifications to the fueling of the secondary injectors very close to the unrestricted H2R mapping. I mean really close. The flash sends more fuel and is set up for the person who's already running an aftermarket slip-on or full system. I do recommend a custom map with a PCV though at some point to get it perfect. Talk to Mike and he'll explain it in better detail.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Not to hijack this thread..... but....

The FlashTune kit comes in a bench kit which requires that your ECU is removed and hooked directly to your computer.

AND

They also have an on-bike kit where you can splice the wires into your harness. This allows you to flash on the fly without removing the ECU as well as make fueling changes to the primary and secondary injectors.

I opted for the Bench Kit but I may go back and buy the on-bike kit for convenience.

Lastly, FlashTune has an auto-blipper kit already in production (which I have but not yet installed). I show it briefly in the first video I posted.

One more thing:

If you are in the UK you have tamperproof screws. They will need to be drilled (or chiseled) out. Get those suckers out of there and go grab some screws from your local hardware store.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I took this screen shot from my computer just now and you can see that the FTECU database has the stock ECU configurations for a few different countries and their corresponding Unrestricted maps.

You can flash the unrestricted map to your ECU without making changes or you can make tweaks as you see fit in each of the categories in the menu on the left.

I would still recommend doing a "Read" on your stock ECU first just to have a copy.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I sent mine to Brock. Not really much different than shipping it to a UK address, it took a couple of weeks and Brock has any other parts you might need, sprockets etc. There's an H2 section in his online shop. He supplied parts for my 14 too and gets my vote.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Just got my ecu from Brock's, just need to install, I little nervous taking this beast apart again.

I know that feeling. The first time I had my bike apart for the flash I was completely out of my mind.

Now I'm so familiar with the bike it's almost second nature.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The Guhl/Brock's package is proven and a good choice.

However, there are benefits to flashing the bike yourself.

First, you have more control over the parameters for your specific application. You can play with timing, fueling, rev limiter, and others.

Also, it's portability is excellent. You can make changes at will or even while you are at the track. You can avoid the whole 3-4 day downtime altogether.

If you decide to go a different way in the future or change your mods, you can flash it once more.

For the guy who relies on dealer servicing and is not bike savvy when it comes to maintenance, the Guhl package is the move. For the rest of us, there's FlashTune and the like.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the info.
I have contact them, and waiting for their reply.
:D:D

VeloxRacing is in the UK and they are the UK distributor for the FlashTune software (FTECU.com). You also have the option to send your ECU to them and have them flash it.

I flashed my bike using the Flashtune software and there's a video on my YouTube channel showing just how easy it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2UY8oCqdGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qqLDgkQcVg

I haven't been to the dyno yet but Flashtune (FTECU) has presence in the MotoAmerica Series and they are the tuner of choice for the domestic series in the USA. These boys actually race and give support to race teams.

If you're in the UK you can order from Mike Bienvenu at VeloxRacing
Shop - VeloxRacing.com - FTecu Flashtune Graves Rotobox

They respond well to emails too.

FTECU's website: https://ftecu.com

Regarding the differences between the two flashes, the Guhl flash doesn't adjust any fuel mapping (at least based on what I read here). That's why Brock sells the custom map. The FTECU flash has modifications to the fueling of the secondary injectors very close to the unrestricted H2R mapping. I mean really close. The flash sends more fuel and is set up for the person who's already running an aftermarket slip-on or full system. I do recommend a custom map with a PCV though at some point to get it perfect. Talk to Mike and he'll explain it in better detail.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts