Ninja H2 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok

I,m no engine/tech guru but quite a few folk are changing exhausts, flashing the ECU etc. to get good bhp gains, fine

At what point does/will this effect the engine servicing if any on the H2, the H2R has short hours service intervals with its power

Just a thought

Rob

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Everything I've read about the H2 indicates that it's massively over-engineered.

Personally I only use mine for LSR, with very limited road mileage. It's two seasons old now with 1,600 miles recorded on the odo' and due for it's second oil change soon.

I've seen statements about the H2 engine being safe up to 300bhp but these are most likely informed opinion. The H2R, as zxrob points out, has extra service inspections required every 15 hours of engine operation above 8,000rpm and this is monitored through the ECU with service messages displayed on the multifunction meter.

When does a tuned H2 need this level of inspection? This is the question.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Everything I've read about the H2 indicates that it's massively over-engineered.

Personally I only use mine for LSR, with very limited road mileage. It's two seasons old now with 1,600 miles recorded on the odo' and due for it's second oil change soon.

I've seen statements about the H2 engine being safe up to 300bhp but these are most likely informed opinion. The H2R, as zxrob points out, has extra service inspections required every 15 hours of engine operation above 8,000rpm and this is monitored through the ECU with service messages displayed on the multifunction meter.

When does a tuned H2 need this level of inspection? This is the question.

I agree here.

In my experience, by the time I hit 6000rpm I'm well over the speed limit in my neck of the woods. I would say that very rarely am I over 8000rpm on the street. Maybe a few seconds here and there - maybe about 1 minute total every time I pull the bike out. So hypothetically, if I average 10 minutes a month over 8,000rpm that's about 2hrs per year with the first teardown due after about 7.5 years. This scenario is highly optimistic, and you can't necessarily convert hours into mileage in this case. The average Joe probably need not worry for 10-15 years.

Based on what I've read on this forum, the stage 2 Brock's kit (De-restriction, Timing Advance, No fueling changes) seems to be a very good option. I use Flashtune (De-restriction, no Timing Advance, Fueling Changes) which works nicely and I've got it sorted for track days. Others have had success with Woolich, etc.

That's not to say that you won't have an engine failure or issues. No one can ever make that promise. This is why Kawasaki will supposedly void your warranty if you flash the ECU. However, the odds show that you should be fine for the most part with a flash.

For most, 189hp to the wheel is superb and more than enough. Just throw a pipe on the bike and call it a day. A flash will get you a minimum of 220hp with ANY of the above mentioned applications with peaks in the high 230s if you fine tune it with fuel maps and ignition timing changes. Claims of any more horsepower than high 230s on a standard H2 without Gears, Intercoolers, etc, I call BS on. e.g..that's a whole other argument though.

Lastly, I'll have to check my numbers but peak torque on these things land at around 12,500rpm. So revving to 14k and even 14,500rpm in some cases is waaaaay overkill. That's a quick way to reduce the life of your engine. I slightly raised mine to 13,500rpm from the standard 13,250rpm. I think BoostedH2 on this forum has his at 13,800 (he'll have to correct me) and has the record for the fastest 1/4 mile H2 in standard trim with just Brocks stage II and an extended swingarm.

These things have trouble keeping the front down once you approach 230hp with KTRC set to #1 . I think we're treading a fine line between rideable and unrideable and the last thing you want is an unrideable bike with a very shortened service interval.

My $0.02

·
Registered
148 Posts
Brock already has a suggested shortened service interval on his website. It's a suggestion and a good one to go by.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Brock already has a suggested shortened service interval on his website. It's a suggestion and a good one to go by.
Agreed. By my reckoning, using my own bike as an example, I ran it in for the first 600 miles so I'll discount that - but it's now done 1600 miles and most of the last 1000 has been at LSR meetings going as fast as possible.

So, 1000 miles in the last two seasons, mostly flat-out on a runway, is 10 hours at over 8,000rpm. Next year will be another 5 hours running and then, by Kawasaki's reckoning, the bike will be due a very careful examination.

(Or put it back to stock and sell it. One owner, low mileage, only used weekends) Just kidding.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
I think only the folks doing top-speed runs or dragstrip runs need be concerned about it as long as you keep the tuning reasonable. Mine is a street bike and I like having a valid driver's license, so as mentioned above, trips above 8000 rpm are seldom and short. Mine has Flashtune, a Hindle slip-on, and that's it, and it's plenty for me.

·
Registered
331 Posts
From everything I've read and the H2R's monitoring of high RPM's usage that is a big reason to shorten service interval. If you visit very high rpm's regularly engine component rotating mass is highly stressed and the added high boost is generating massive bearing loads. IMO this is part of the thinking behind the replacement of SC gears/ratio to bring the HP down in lower RPM's for more durable high power output.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I look at it as HP hours , if you double the hp half the hours,
exceptions being for hard use competition, change the oil & check things over before the meeting and check again after and if you have any reason to doubt anything during the meet check it again
Biggest tell during a meeting is on startup , if it cranks longer than usual, if it cranks unevenly or the cranking sound changes, if the oil light takes longer to go out , find out why ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts