Ninja H2 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I try to keep my H2 and BMW S1000RR clean, but find that after about a day's riding the wheels (powder coated and aluminum painted) always have some kind of film (road grime) on them.

Long story short, I have used soap and water, simple green and WD40 (which removes grease nicely) but have to put about 15 minutes per wheel to get them really clean.

Is there anything that will help keep them clean longer, polish perhaps. I want to find a way to apply cleaner and then rinse with a hose with no wiping. Nothing I have tried works. This forum is pretty savvy so I am throwing it out there for myself and everyone's benefit.

Rhody...

P.S. I don't expect super clean, just enough to look good if you are not looking really hard, lol...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
At car shows I started to hear about a product that was designed for use on aircraft windshields to make it easier to clean, bug splats, etc that guys were using on their wheels to keep them cleaner from brake dust then started using it instead of wax on their cars. Then found out my professional detailer was using it on all the wheels he was detailing. It's called "RejeX". It's a polymer coating. On cars that I use in fair weather I apply once a year. After you apply the coating when you wash the wheels with car wash shampoo you'll notice the surface becomes really slippery, more so than traditional wax, really works great to repel dust, dirt & other stuff and also makes cleaning the surface much easier dirt, grease doesn't stick. I hadn't thought about using it on my bikes but sure it would do great there too. It's non permanent, wears off over time, how long it lasts depends on the weather and how many times you wash it, so safe if you want to try it out, on my black painted or silver alum wheels you can't really tell anything is applied if anything just looks freshly waxed. It shouldn't leave dried wax dust around the green wheel decals either but you might want to use blue painters tape the decals or try a small area first. Thanks you just gave me a great idea for the H2.

NOTHING STICKS BUT THE SHINE!®

RejeX is a water-clear, thin film polymer coating designed to provide an ultra-high-release surface. RejeX is commonly used as a paint sealant providing a high-performance alternative to conventional wax-based products to maximize protection and shine on vehicles of all sorts, including aircraft, cars, motorcycles, boats and RVs.

This very thin film, only tenths of a micron thick, reduces adhesion of all common contaminants such as road grime, exhaust, oil, bug splats, bird droppings, brake dust, tree sap, pollen, tar and grease. RejeX provides the best UV protection of any product of its kind. RejeX is even effective against the dreaded love bugs! It can also be applied to windshields (glass, Lexan, acrylic, etc.) to repel rain and make bugs splats easier to remove. RejeX produces a deep, lustrous shine that outlasts other "wax" products by months.
RejeX

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The next time you clean the wheels finish off with a quality wax polish.

This stops the dirt from adhering and it will be easier to clean off.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just cleaned all 4 wheels with Honda cleaner and polish, then put some mother's polish on just the rear wheels of both bikes as an experiment, oxidation came off with buffing. Now, it's a waiting game.

Stradale,

I may try the "RejeX" if this approach with wax doesn't keep the wheels cleaner longer.
I am wondering if RainX would do the same thing. I use it on my windshield and rarely if ever have to use my wipers, unless the rain is severe.

Rhody...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I just cleaned all 4 wheels with Honda cleaner and polish, then put some mother's polish on just the rear wheels of both bikes as an experiment, oxidation came off with buffing. Now, it's a waiting game.

Stradale,

I may try the "RejeX" if this approach with wax doesn't keep the wheels cleaner longer.
I am wondering if RainX would do the same thing. I use it on my windshield and rarely if ever have to use my wipers, unless the rain is severe.

Rhody...

Completely different products.
I would bet anything once you try RejeX you will love it. The stuff just works.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is what came off the BMW's real wheel after a local ride, about 12 miles.

Fingers...

The good news, with a dry rag because of the underlying wax, it wiped right off, no drama. Will try the rainX, next, then maybe RejeX in a week or two.

Rhody...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cleaned the H2's wheels and applied RainX, then went for a 50 mile ride, with some hard acceleration, braking and small stints of high speed.
The wheels were cleaner (not perfect using the RainX). Go figure...

Next I will look into RejeX... Stay tuned...

Rhody...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts