Ninja H2 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all.Hope all is going good.

I changed my oil a few days ago.Think it's been in there for around 4k miles.This would be like the third oil change.I looked tonight at the oil I drained and checked for stuff in it.There were three things that 'alarmed' me.One,there was a complete clear small circular plastic something in there.Looks like a washer,but the contour is 'shaped' meaning it's like a convex(concave)shape.With a hole in the center.About the diameter of a pencil eraser.Maybe a bit larger.There was also a piece of metal,corkscrew shaped like with one twist to it.Very thin.About a few centimeters long.And finally,something that had some solidity to it,like a piece of gasket...about a few centimeters long.Plus there were several small pieces of silver metal in there.Very small,but larger than just 'dust'.Pieces.I didn't check if they were magnetic or not.I installed the autoblip several months ago,but wasn't able to ride until recently,maybe a month and a half ago.I noticed while riding and shifting that it felt notchy upshifting sometimes(recently).Downshifting,it wasn't dropping right in like it was when I started riding again this timeframe.Anyone had any issues like this?I've never seen anything like this plastic deal EVER in ANY of my bikes.Just weird.OR the shavings and such.Previous oil changes on my H2 never had any of this stuff in it.I'm leaning towards the downshifting...if it's harming the trans not clutching it.It's not downshifting like it was when I first started riding again.And like I said,the upshifting isn't as quick and smooth as it was except when I upshift in the last 3 gears in the 4k range.Not hard throttling for sure.It feels like it's having trouble going into gear,it didn't before the autoblip.Or shortly after installing it.
Any thoughts?I don't want to break my transmission.:eek:It shifted fine when I first installed the autoblip.Up and down.

At first after installed,I could gently press down on the lever,and it would drop right in.Now I have to really push,and actually 'hit' the lever to get it to drop in.And the upshifts are getting really notchy.It's not clicking in like it always did before.Except if the rpms are 'not too high'.I sense something is getting ready to stop working.It just doesn't feel fully okay like it did.If I use the clutch,it works fine(downshifting).To be honest,I kind of 'expected' maybe some pieces of a tooth coming off if anything the way it slammed several times and in both downshifting and upshifting.I have the adjuster length correct according to the brock's page.The QS is enabled on my ECU.(autoblip).

Another thing I noticed which it never did before.When I shift into N from second at a stop,the gear display(on the dashboard,not the lamp indicator) goes blank,and it'll be in first but won't display until I let the clutch out a bit to lock the gearing..As usual,sometimes she drops into 1st,which is normal.But the display never did this before.And it seems to having more trouble going into N than it did.Should I have the shop check the trans and such?It's not acting like it was always before.I'm wondering if this autoblipper is damaging the internals somehow?The 2015's didn't have this function.So maybe I should stop using it to downshift?

http://i63.tinypic.com/2rxcro4.jpg(left click on image,then 'show raw image' and expand).The black piece is rubber.The 'washer' or whatever it is is unbroken like it came straight off a screw or something.It is not flat like a washer.The center open part on it is NOT perfectly round.Whatever it was attached to,it got forced off.The inside edge is angled like it came off at an angle.The hole is not showing any real damage other than that.

I looked in the diagrams of the trans and shift mechanisms.I can't see any part looking like this.It came from something with a small diameter and one way for it to pop out/off.Over the end of something it was attached to.Unless...there's a screw or something still sitting in the pan.Whattaya think?The outer edge of this plastic deal is misshaped just a hair.It's not totally round.Like the center opening.It's not totally round either.Kinda of oval shaped.This thing is thicker than a bodyscrew washer.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would definitely bring it in to have the transmission and clutch checked. I would also recommend more frequent oil changes, but that’s just my personal preference.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey all.Hope all is going good.

I changed my oil a few days ago.Think it's been in there for around 4k miles.This would be like the third oil change.I looked tonight at the oil I drained and checked for stuff in it.There were three things that 'alarmed' me.One,there was a complete clear small circular plastic something in there.Looks like a washer,but the contour is 'shaped' meaning it's like a convex(concave)shape.With a hole in the center.About the diameter of a pencil eraser.Maybe a bit larger.There was also a piece of metal,corkscrew shaped like with one twist to it.Very thin.About a few centimeters long.And finally,something that had some solidity to it,like a piece of gasket...about a few centimeters long.Plus there were several small pieces of silver metal in there.Very small,but larger than just 'dust'.Pieces.I didn't check if they were magnetic or not.I installed the autoblip several months ago,but wasn't able to ride until recently,maybe a month and a half ago.I noticed while riding and shifting that it felt notchy upshifting sometimes(recently).Downshifting,it wasn't dropping right in like it was when I started riding again this timeframe.Anyone had any issues like this?I've never seen anything like this plastic deal EVER in ANY of my bikes.Just weird.OR the shavings and such.Previous oil changes on my H2 never had any of this stuff in it.I'm leaning towards the downshifting...if it's harming the trans not clutching it.It's not downshifting like it was when I first started riding again.And like I said,the upshifting isn't as quick and smooth as it was except when I upshift in the last 3 gears in the 4k range.Not hard throttling for sure.It feels like it's having trouble going into gear,it didn't before the autoblip.Or shortly after installing it.
Any thoughts?I don't want to break my transmission.:eek:It shifted fine when I first installed the autoblip.Up and down.

At first after installed,I could gently press down on the lever,and it would drop right in.Now I have to really push,and actually 'hit' the lever to get it to drop in.And the upshifts are getting really notchy.It's not clicking in like it always did before.Except if the rpms are 'not too high'.I sense something is getting ready to stop working.It just doesn't feel fully okay like it did.If I use the clutch,it works fine(downshifting).To be honest,I kind of 'expected' maybe some pieces of a tooth coming off if anything the way it slammed several times and in both downshifting and upshifting.I have the adjuster length correct according to the brock's page.The QS is enabled on my ECU.(autoblip).

Another thing I noticed which it never did before.When I shift into N from second at a stop,the gear display(on the dashboard,not the lamp indicator) goes blank,and it'll be in first but won't display until I let the clutch out a bit to lock the gearing..As usual,sometimes she drops into 1st,which is normal.But the display never did this before.And it seems to having more trouble going into N than it did.Should I have the shop check the trans and such?It's not acting like it was always before.I'm wondering if this autoblipper is damaging the internals somehow?The 2015's didn't have this function.So maybe I should stop using it to downshift?

http://i63.tinypic.com/2rxcro4.jpg(left click on image,then 'show raw image' and expand).The black piece is rubber.The 'washer' or whatever it is is unbroken like it came straight off a screw or something.It is not flat like a washer.The center open part on it is NOT perfectly round.Whatever it was attached to,it got forced off.The inside edge is angled like it came off at an angle.The hole is not showing any real damage other than that.

I looked in the diagrams of the trans and shift mechanisms.I can't see any part looking like this.It came from something with a small diameter and one way for it to pop out/off.Over the end of something it was attached to.Unless...there's a screw or something still sitting in the pan.Whattaya think?The outer edge of this plastic deal is misshaped just a hair.It's not totally round.Like the center opening.It's not totally round either.Kinda of oval shaped.This thing is thicker than a bodyscrew washer.

I remember someone having a similar issue a while ago: I believe it was related to the oil pressure switch, but I'm not totally sure.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I gotta ask how in the **** did that big plastic piece get out of that little drain hole? Shavings can be pretty big and still be okay. I'm wondering if those pieces came out of the oil filter.
And if it is part of the shifting mech, it is not a huge deal to fix. Pop off the clutch cover and inspect the mech. The good part is this is a cassette transmission and can be removed without removing the engine.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks [email protected] plastic piece is the same diameter as a bodyscrew washer.I've changed shift mechanisms before..on my 14.I've never seen any plastic spacers or such on any of the parts.I'm guessing this shift mechanism is virtually the same.Gonna warm her up good today and get it up on a rear stand and redrain the oil.It looks suspiciously like a spacer or washer off a bolt like a bodyscrew bolt..but a fastener of some sort.Maybe it will come out with the hot oil and the angle.IDK.(if there's a screw in there).I'd drop the pan but I don't have another gasket for it.
Thanks Simon.I'll see if the switch has anything like this attached to it.
@Nobium.I've never seen anything like this piece in a clutch mechanism before.It didn't break off of something.It came off of the end of a shaft or screw.It's a solid piece.It was pushed off by something it looks like.IDK if it was purposely shaped(rounded)like this or was flat at some point.Looks to be purposely dome shaped.Anyone ever see any piece like this attached to the trans or something?I checked the residue oil again for any pieces.There was one kinda thickish sliver in there.It was magnetic.So it wasn't aluminum.Silver colored.About 2 cm's long with both ends perfectly perpendicular to the length.A shaved piece probably wouldn't be shaped like that.Thick(and stout) enough to stick into a finger.Possibly could have been in there already from the engine build.Along with that other deal.IDK.The notchy qs is what's concerning me though.Most of the time it clicks right in.Other times it kinda jars into gear.Is there some rpm amount this qs is supposed to work best at?These items may have nothing to do with shift quality.I'm suspecting the autoblip shift sensor.It never did this with the factory sensor in there.Are the kill times adjustable on these?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Okay.I took her out for a short oil heating ride.She shifted perfect.I drained the oil.Only one very small sliver it it.I guess for now..I'm just gonna ride her.See how this pans out.I may have been getting lazy or something on the shift lever.IDK.It does feel like it needs a bit more force to upshift than it seemed to before.But that could be just me.Sometimes it shifts right in if (I guess)the rpms are just right.Doesn't the manual say something about the shifting rpm ranges for this bike?I'll check it and see.Hope ya'll are havin a really good Saturday.Thanks again.Anyone think they know what that piece is...pls let me know.

Kawasaki 10-40 semi-syn oil.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Thanks [email protected] plastic piece is the same diameter as a bodyscrew washer.I've changed shift mechanisms before..on my 14.I've never seen any plastic spacers or such on any of the parts.I'm guessing this shift mechanism is virtually the same.Gonna warm her up good today and get it up on a rear stand and redrain the oil.It looks suspiciously like a spacer or washer off a bolt like a bodyscrew bolt..but a fastener of some sort.Maybe it will come out with the hot oil and the angle.IDK.(if there's a screw in there).I'd drop the pan but I don't have another gasket for it.
Is that washer small enough to come out the drain plug? Is it possible that it was in the oil pan before you started to drain it? Stuff a magnet up the drain hole and see if there is something in there.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep..it came outta the bike.It fit easily through the drain plug hole.Thinkin about openin up the old filter,just fer shits and giggles.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay...well..I was sweeping the garage out.Noticed a small washer shaped just like the one I 'found' in my oil.Same deal.I guess I was wrong about it being in there.I mean,it was in the drain bucket.But it didn't come from the motor.And I've ridden her now several times with the shifting thing.It's doing fine.Musta just been how I started shifting the way I was????...But I am gonna use the clutch for downshifts.Have a factory sensor coming.So I'll install that.I may have adjusted the kill time where it wasn't optimum.If that's possible.I aint gonna mess with the one on there anymore.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Your best results should be with kill times for upshifts floating in the 55ms to 45ms range, longer 55ms kill for first to second, 50 for 2-3, 45 for 3-4, 45 for 4-5-6. Just what has worked well for me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If it’s hard to get into gear, longer kill time, if it’s feeling like it delays or wants to not lock in positive (ie: overshift), shorter kill.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So how do you adjust this?The hard part is a consistent shift at a consistent rpm/speed.Somedays it shift so **** slick.At other times,it's notchy.Sometimes it seems to click in without jerking at lower rpms going through the gears.Then,at times,it seems to be notchy doing the same thing.Is it my shifting speed doing it?It always clicks in fine in the upper rpm ranges with throttle on medium.(or harder).I don't know if it's just me and my shift way...or what.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yeah, generally works best under load of course and I find my chain has to be adjusted perfectly for best actuation. I am using the factory setup and I love it. No issues.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Okay...well..I was sweeping the garage out.Noticed a small washer shaped just like the one I 'found' in my oil.Same deal.I guess I was wrong about it being in there.I mean,it was in the drain bucket.But it didn't come from the motor.And I've ridden her now several times with the shifting thing.It's doing fine.Musta just been how I started shifting the way I was????...But I am gonna use the clutch for downshifts.Have a factory sensor coming.So I'll install that.I may have adjusted the kill time where it wasn't optimum.If that's possible.I aint gonna mess with the one on there anymore.
That should be a relief. I always wipe my drain pan clean, I mean really clean before I drain the oil. Then I know good and well what came out.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have not read this entire thread so I hope I'm on-top here, but there was one time I did an oil change and found a bunch of rocks in my oil pan (which I keep clean) and I freaked out. After I settled down I realized that they were lodged on the outside of my oil filter and when I removed it down came all the debris with the oil into the pan. If this might be your situation then take an air compressor to your oil filter before removing it, then you know what is coming from the engine.

Reactions: h2madness!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Racer.I think something like that must have happened.My drain pan was totally clean.The one on the floor was an exact copy.Musta come from the bike fairings or something.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
@Racer.I think something like that must have happened.My drain pan was totally clean.The one on the floor was an exact copy.Musta come from the bike fairings or something.
That is sounding like you aren't making sure that every screw that touchs the paint job has a plastic washer. Left over parts are a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"every screw that touchs the paint job has a plastic washer"...nah.It was squeezed off the screw head.Only way it could get shaped like that.But it makes me wonder...WHY would I tighten one so much(or two).I don't normally crank down on those at all.Weird.Can't think of any bodyscrew that would be in that much heat to soften up a washer like it must have?She's a firebreather this one;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts