Ninja H2 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a 2019 Carbon and I would really like to put a PCV on it. I've done this with all of the modern fuel injected bikes in the fleet - get the best flash available to derestrict the secondary throttles, top speed limiter, redline, decel fuel cut, and all of the other stuff, then FINELY dial in the fueling with a wideband and PCV on the dyno and road. With proper effort and attention, this is without a doubt THE BEST possible tuning situation. I don't care how good a canned flash tune is, the fueling will never be perfect EVERYWHERE for you specific setup, and it can often be way off at small throttle openings (cruise) and other odd areas of the TPS/RPM space.

The PCV is only (officially) available for 2015-2016 H2 and H2R models. Why, I don't know? This is per Dynojet's site and all of the other vendors are in line with this. I can't find any record of anyone trying one on another model year.

Well, looking at the installation instructions (which are in line with most other bikes), the H2 PCV works conventionally. It intercepts the signal to each injector and modifies it from a lookup table ("map") according to a couple referenced sensors (gear position, cam position/RPM, and throttle position), then sends the modified signal to the injector. There is no connection/communication with the ECU, it simply modifes the injector pulse according to a couple sensor values and the "map".

The connections for the PCV are:

Chassis ground
Primary injector (throttle) harness
Gear position sensor
Throttle position sensor (main throttle body connector)
Cam (crank) position sensor

So, I looked up all of the part numbers from the fiche and found:

2015-2019 all have the same injector harness part number
2015-2019 all have the same gear position sensor part number
2015-2019 all have the same cam sensor part number
2015-2018 all have the same primary injector part number (2019 different, same connector)
2015-2018 all have the same throttle body part number (2019 different, connectors look the same)
The ECU part numbers change from 2015/2016, 2017/2018, and 2019 (not that this necessarily matters).

So from an installation and function standpoint, I can't see why the 2015-2016 PCV wouldn't work on AT LEAST a 2017-2018 H2 (all connected components are the same), and for that matter, on a 2019 as long as the TPS/connector on the throttle body hasn't changed.

I'm going to inquire directly with Dynojet, but let's throw the question out there - Is the PCV ONLY available for 2015/2016 because it only WORKS with those years, or is this because (due to impossibly small build numbers) nobody has had the balls/interest/know-how to test one on a later model? Dynojet has nothing to gain, as there are maybe 20-30 from each year even on the road, so maybe they could sell another 5 or 10 units (after somehow getting a test mule). It just seems to me like it ought to work just fine, but nobody has ever gotten around to verifying that.

Any input?

·
Registered
665 Posts
2 thoughts on this
Possibly the ecu is smart enough to know its not getting the correct flyback signal from the injectors and gives a fault code
or after the initial release PC have not tested or updated year model list

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I contacted a/the prominent tuner AND Dynojet themselves. Surprisingly, got prompt, candid answers back from BOTH within 24 hours. Thanks, guys!

As I suspected, the PCV is only offered for the 2015-2016 H2 because it hasn't been tested/verified on the other model years. Dynojet haven't put their hands on a 2017-2020 test mule (and don't seem terribly motivated to do so given the paltry production volumes) and the story was pretty much the same with the tuner, more-or-less.

I'm rather confident that it will work on the 2017-2018, and I suspect that it will work on the 2019-2020 as well (the only real difference being the change in the throttle body assembly part number). And honestly, even if the pinout on the throttle body has changed, it might be as simple as sleuthing out the correct wire via some "comparative anatomy".

Both entities had basically the same advice - "check it out and let us know if it works". Of course. So I've ordered a unit and will be checking it out, and despite my reservations against doing R&D (and marketing, and sales support) for two/several for-profit businesses without compensation, I will inevitably be reporting my findings here when I find something out.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A slight correction - the PCV indeed connects with the crank position sensor (pulse generator output), NOT the cam position sensor. I'm working on the bike now and should know something within a week or two.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, gang. I have installed the PCV on my 2019 H2 Carbon (along with a host of other things, including a Van Demon pipe) and I can verify with certainty (tested against a wideband to verify correct operation) that it works perfectly. The installation was 100% according to the packaged instructions for the 2015/2016, no deviations required. This is great news.

So I can safely say that the PCV marketed for the 2015/2016 H2/H2R works on all model years 2015-2019 inclusive, and most likely on a 2020 as well.

This is a GREAT tuning option for those of you just wanting to work on fueling, SOOOOOO much easier, faster, and intuitive than altering fueling via a flash. The killer combination is to use this on top of a flash to just trim fueling here and there (clean up any trouble spots) against a wideband.

I have not verified that any of the other Dynojet modules (ignition, secondary fueling) work, nor will I be doing so. But I suspect that they will work (FYI they are ZX-10R units).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts