Ninja H2 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Others have noted that the H2 has a slipper clutch, having said that my seat of the pants feels suggests otherwise. When hard on the gas in 2nd, 3rd, then downshifting back to 2nd off throttle while feathering the clutch out, I feel a chirp, chirp, chirp from the rear wheel. It doesn't feel like the ramp like feeling I get with my BMW S1000RR. Is there a slipper clutch doing its thing or not ?

Rhodster...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
It IS a slipper clutch.But it clearly states that it will not stop the rear wheel from skipping and such COMPLETELY.(Backtorque limiting).You can still get those actions by being too aggressive under certain conditions.If you follow the manual's instructions for downshifting...the Slipper WILL be effective.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It IS a slipper clutch.But it clearly states that it will not stop the rear wheel from skipping and such COMPLETELY.(Backtorque limiting).You can still get those actions by being too aggressive under certain conditions.If you follow the manual's instructions for downshifting...the Slipper WILL be effective.
Bahaha, thanks, I was near max revs in third, a nice little blip, close the throttle, then slowly let out the clutch in second, road was cold too, rear tire temperature only in the high 60's (as indicated by tire temp monitor). If the tire temperature was hot, I doubt it would have happened. Slewed the rear today in 2nd as well under hard acceleration with TC level 1.

Rhody...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Bahaha, thanks, I was near max revs in third, a nice little blip, close the throttle, then slowly let out the clutch in second, road was cold too, rear tire temperature only in the high 60's (as indicated by tire temp monitor). If the tire temperature was hot, I doubt it would have happened. Slewed the rear today in 2nd as well under hard acceleration with TC level 1.

Rhody...
Uhh...if you were near max revs in 3rd....and downshifted to 2nd...you are lucky you didn't lock the rear wheel and/or high side....

A slipper can only do so much...you need to match rpm/gear/road speed.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Bahaha, thanks, I was near max revs in third, a nice little blip, close the throttle, then slowly let out the clutch in second, road was cold too,

Rhody...
Glad your still here to tell the story,,, I can only imagine what its like to ride a H2 like ya s0:)tole !

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uhh...if you were near max revs in 3rd....and downshifted to 2nd...you are lucky you didn't lock the rear wheel and/or high side....

A slipper can only do so much...you need to match rpm/gear/road speed.
I left off one small detail, I was hard on the front brake first, the shift from 3rd to 2nd was at about 8000 rpm, I let out the clutch especially slow as well. You are correct though, the faster the engine spins when downshift and hitting a lower gear spinning another +1000 rpm or so. The most dicey situation is when you go from 2nd to 1st. I have had the rear of the BMW slide sideways under similar circumstances. Hot tires and hot pavement help immensely in that situation, cold weather and cold tires are a problem for sure.

Rhody...

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Not even those Race pros get away with everything everytime.Internet's FULL of frontend slip outs from braking and downshifting.You did cheat stuff this time.Cold pavement and cold tires='oh ****!"...we don't want that.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just took the BMW out, low 50's F. No hard braking this time, just downshifting. The BMW has way less engine braking than the H2, even with engine braking set to minimal. This is a plus on the H2. No drama, no slipping, 4th, 3rd, 2nd gear.

Rhody...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts