Ninja H2 banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Contemplating buying the extreme creations intercooler kit and fitting the sc3 or ideally sc4 gears. Apart from a good tuner, is there anything else needed? I know little if anything about the subject,other than what I've gleaned here. Just acquired a h2 with stage 2 gears,cooled rails,trumpets,pcv,pipe and flashed.
tia.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
There are already some threads on this site which discuss intercoolers. A search through these might give you the info' you need.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are already some threads on this site which discuss intercoolers. A search through these might give you the info' you need.

I did read the threads.I suppose I was expecting someone to say you'll need this,that and the other and don't forget to upgrade whatever as well, and/or I'd recommend such and suchs intercooler.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Ok,if it's as simple as that..good..
bottom line; you can install an intercooler (I recommend Extreme Creations) on a bone-stock H2 and you don't have to tune it or do any other mods and you will be increasing the health of your motor. If you do any other mods to increase boost or power in general you'll need it to be tuned. Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Yagerwerx Intercooler does just as well as the extreme creations kit but for a fraction of the cost. Both kits come with everything you need for installation.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Yagerwerx Intercooler does just as well as the extreme creations kit but for a fraction of the cost. Both kits come with everything you need for installation.
That's good info.I'll be looking that up shortly.Thanks for mentioning.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
bottom line; you can install an intercooler (I recommend Extreme Creations) on a bone-stock H2 and you don't have to tune it or do any other mods and you will be increasing the health of your motor. If you do any other mods to increase boost or power in general you'll need it to be tuned. Does that answer your question?
Not really.I've already said it's tuned in the op.Question was, what do I need to upgrade from where it is now? I notice you've a h2R pump with sc3 gears .So that is an example of the sort of info I was after as in ,in addition to an ic you may/will need to upgrade the pump.
Thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
891 Posts
^ I have an H2. It just has about $30k in mods, but it's the street version.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi All,
My h2 currently has Bear Racing stage 2 gears fitted. I'd like to upgrade to stage 3. I understand an intercooler is advisable for reliability/longetivity but is it deemed essential to have one even for the occasional road/motorway blast?

Also on the bear racing website they have a stage 3 single gear.What's the performance difference between a single and double gear?

tia

·
Registered
674 Posts
Stg 2 and 3 share one of the gears, to change from stg 2 to 3 you only need the stg 3 gear

Simply put , If you have race gas the extra heat of compression is less of an issue , The higher the octane the more detonation resistant it is
and the longer you hold it pinned the more of an issue inlet air temp becomes

·
Registered
891 Posts
and the longer you hold it pinned the more of an issue inlet air temp becomes
this would be the main point I would share.
I was running stage III gears for about a year before installing the Extreme Creations IC and this was my experience; when I was riding the canyons/mountains with the guys and my boost temps were down then I could pin if for about 1 mile wide open, boost temps would get up to about 220 which was fine as long as you back off and let the temps come down. When I ran the track I would see boost temps hit 270 after the first lap, it just didn't work. When I installed the IC everything changed, and I noticed about a 20hp increase.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. V.useful info.

I don't envisage holding it pinned for anymore than a couple of miles at the absolute most and very infrequently at that.

So there is a certain boost temperature which is considered too hot?

The bike has been tuned so is it a case of just fitting the sc3 gear and off you go or does it need to go back on the dyno where boost temperatures are going to be an issue without an ic I imagine?
Is the sc3 gear good for another 20whp or so?

TIA again.

·
Registered
891 Posts
boost temp of 200 and you want to back off. I've taken it up to 270 and backed off with no damage. If you stay up in those temps you will melt your pistons.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Dyno can be less of a problem for intake temps than road riding, if the runs are kept short and temps monitered and allow a cooldown time between runs and the operator is not aiming at NA a/f numbers
you should remap for any major changes

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the useful info lads.

Think it's going to be a yaegerwerx ic.
Going to assume the different makes of intercooler all pretty much do the same job.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts