Ninja H2 banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just arrived
taking the intercooler & bike to my guy on Monday to get it ready for next dyno mid week

·
Registered
376 Posts
That's great mate, so excuse my ignorance for the following. So installing this intercooler apart from keeping the charge temperature down what's it going to achieve ? Few more horsepower? Or is it substantially more? Does it put less stress on the engine compared without it? Longevity wise - does it allow the engine to last longer with better performance? I am new to forced induction and find it really interesting Kawasaki didn't use an intercooler. They are saying the charge is so quick the temp has not got a chance to increase too much...true? Any others to chime in, would be great too..;)
Be really interesting to see the figures as it looks like in the past you are right up to speed with the power your bikes making. And how's it going to fit, is there enough room?
Good luck, be interesting seeing your future posts about this one...
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
674 Posts
That's great mate, so excuse my ignorance for the following. So installing this intercooler apart from keeping the charge temperature down what's it going to achieve ? Few more horsepower? Or is it substantially more? Does it put less stress on the engine compared without it? Longevity wise - does it allow the engine to last longer with better performance? I am new to forced induction and find it really interesting Kawasaki didn't use an intercooler. They are saying the charge is so quick the temp has not got a chance to increase too much...true? Any others to chime in, would be great too..;)
Be really interesting to see the figures as it looks like in the past you are right up to speed with the power your bikes making. And how's it going to fit, is there enough room?
Good luck, be interesting seeing your future posts about this one...
Jeffro ;)
Jeffro easiest way to see the intercooler effect is its like the cool morning where the bike just makes noticable amounts more power, except you have it all the time

Not less stress physical but less stess thermal , your increasing the density of the intake air, this is what gives you more hp, so theretically increased load on mechanical parts, but also if you were near knock threshold before fitting the intercooler you may be decreasing load on parts by cooling the intake air , its not a straighforward answer
temp increase is instant , of you compress air x psi depending on a lot of factors it increases temp y degrees , if you want to find out more then search ideal gas law
and the multitude of people who figured it out and have there names attached to it

I think Kawasaki kept it simple , dont compress the air too much and you can work in the temp range with existing pump fuels by pulling out timing and running rich
Then we go and compress it more, lean it out and hope it lasts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Jeffro easiest way to see the intercooler effect is its like the cool morning where the bike just makes noticable amounts more power, except you have it all the time

Not less stress physical but less stess thermal , your increasing the density of the intake air, this is what gives you more hp, so theretically increased load on mechanical parts, but also if you were near knock threshold before fitting the intercooler you may be decreasing load on parts by cooling the intake air , its not a straighforward answer
temp increase is instant , of you compress air x psi depending on a lot of factors it increases temp y degrees , if you want to find out more then search ideal gas law
and the multitude of people who figured it out and have there names attached to it

I think Kawasaki kept it simple , dont compress the air too much and you can work in the temp range with existing pump fuels by pulling out timing and running rich
Then we go and compress it more, lean it out and hope it lasts
OzBooster
Thanks for the reply and explanation much appreciated. If that's the case love the simplicity that Kawasaki has given us, however sounds pretty cool having that extra hp on hand with the cooler and denser charge. Yes of course love that feeling of when it's a cool day or morning and the engine feels so good and responsive. :D
Jeffro ;)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Hi Terry, I hope it performs as expected. Really interesting kit and thanks for posting the photos, I'd love to see some of it installed if that's possible.

·
Registered
247 Posts
OzBooster, that is one of the best and simplest explanations of charge density and its importance that I have ever heard. Wicked. :)

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
I'm with Nola, interesting welds....
I presume you mean the lack of welding around that bottom plate.

I didn't design this but I can see why one would not want to weld in that location ... to avoid disturbing the adjacent machined surface. Warpage or weld spatter would cause a boost leak.

Minor leakage past that plate would not be a boost leak, it would simply be a slight leak of non-intercooled air bypassing the intercooler. The pressure across that plate is only the pressure drop across the intercooler ... which will be peanuts.

The stock plenum is hardly a thing of beauty to begin with ...

I'd like to do this, but the US$-C$ exchange rate plus the cross-border hassles are killer.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I presume you mean the lack of welding around that bottom plate.

I didn't design this but I can see why one would not want to weld in that location ... to avoid disturbing the adjacent machined surface. Warpage or weld spatter would cause a boost leak.

Minor leakage past that plate would not be a boost leak, it would simply be a slight leak of non-intercooled air bypassing the intercooler. The pressure across that plate is only the pressure drop across the intercooler ... which will be peanuts.

The stock plenum is hardly a thing of beauty to begin with ...

I'd like to do this, but the US$-C$ exchange rate plus the cross-border hassles are killer.

I took that to mean the look of the welds on the top of the intake chamber but it's a functional part that is completely hidden so while it'd be nice to have the welds look like a stack of dimes wouldn't have an issue w/ it if I were looking to buy an intercooler.

Looking forward to seeing Terry install it & his impressions.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Guys, no offense intended on my part, i just thought the welds looked a little messy compared to some of the exquisite engineering seen on here of late. I'm certainly not qualified to comment on the integrity of the product, I'm sure it will be a very solid upgrade. As mentioned the stock plenum isn't exactly pretty..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Sorry but the same amount of time it takes to weld it, it would take to weld it neatly. Its the exact same amount of time. TIG is not some mysterious science that only attainable to 5 axis robots. Yes, I meant the top weld, and the inner welds more so. Sorry if it offends, we can all respectfully state our observations/opinions...You dont need a 6G cert to do it right.

I always think stuff like this "If this is there work I CAN see, what else is there thats beyond visual. The last thing I need is a water leak, from hidden shoddy work, inside of the airbox so it can be pulled into the cylinders at 13,000rpm. Water and compression dont do well together.

My worthless .02

NOLA

·
Registered
835 Posts
Sorry but the same amount of time it takes to weld it, it would take to weld it neatly. Its the exact same amount of time. TIG is not some mysterious science that only attainable to 5 axis robots. Yes, I meant the top weld, and the inner welds more so. Sorry if it offends, we can all respectfully state our observations/opinions...You dont need a 6G cert to do it right.

I always think stuff like this "If this is there work I CAN see, what else is there thats beyond visual. The last thing I need is a water leak, from hidden shoddy work, inside of the airbox so it can be pulled into the cylinders at 13,000rpm. Water and compression dont do well together.

My worthless .02

NOLA
Function over form here but NOLA summed it in the first sentence . Personally i would be disappointed if i received this item be it hidden or not.
The workmanship is not worthy of an H2 but I'm sure it will do the job it's intended for .

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Yeah, can't argue, good points. I'm sure it's the appreciation of fine craftsmanship that the majority of people here share in common/as one of the reasons for purchasing the H2.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Terry, I hope it performs as expected. Really interesting kit and thanks for posting the photos, I'd love to see some of it installed if that's possible.
yeah I'll post up some install pics for sure.
not sure how pretty it will be, don't care, as long as it's functional and gets me through the Texas Mile without melting my pistons.

·
Registered
702 Posts

My worthless .02

NOLA
Well stated. I tend to agree with this. ...and to your point, the MCCYCLES intercooler has been known to leak on earlier versions. However, I've been told that those issues have been resolved. From what I can see, Chris is a stand up guy and has stood by his product.

He also has a gen 2 version coming out and he's testing the prototype at the Texas mile in a few days.

I am waiting for Greg Watters' version before I make a final decision.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts