Ninja H2 banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Many bikes of today aren't quite as simple as they used to be. I recommend reading your manual cover to cover. But if you can't stomach that, at least read the stuff pertaining to the electronics. I'll help a bit though. Here is the start of the section on page 127.

KLCM is a rider assist system which optimizes the starting acceleration by electronically controlling the engine output. The detail setting can be selected in the setting mode. Refer to “Setting Mode” in the GENERAL INFORMATION chapter.
The KLCM can be used in closed course. Do not use the KLCM during everyday riding.
Kawasaki Launch Control Mode (KLCM)
KLCM Setting
• Push the upper button and the mode button simultaneously and hold them in until the KLCM message displays and the engine speed indicator blinks three times.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Does KLCM also integrate wheelie control?

That is, once engaged, hold the throttle full open, dump clutch and shift with no clutch?

I presume that the computer holds RPM, manages wheel spin, manages the shifts and controls wheelies. Correct?

Greg

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Embarrassed to say I haven't tried KLCM and the manual doesn't describe how to use it. Didn't sound like a good idea to try & figure out myself without knowing the exact sequence. I know how to turn it on & change the acceleration levels in the display but what are the steps w/ the throttle, clutch, etc.?

I'm guessing it's similar to launch control on a Porsche where you raise the rpms but instead of holding & letting go of the brakes, you're using the clutch?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The manual is very unclear on how to use the launch control...

1. Must be in neutral (KQS ON recommended)

2. Press UP and MODE together for a couple of seconds until dash lights up, then shows KLCM Mode (1 or 2 or 3)

3. Engage first gear, apply full throttle which now gives you 6500 rpm and a load of popping and banging....

4. Release the clutch fast but smooth, keep the throttle pinned wide open and quickshift into second and then third at the appropriate moment, KLCM deactivates once in third and your then just using the KTRC.

If you are in KLCM Mode 3 there will be NO wheelies or wheelspin at all, just a quite considerable decrease in engine power .
Mode 2 or 1 I have not tried yet but allow progressively more wildness....

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm certain someone out there has done it!

I can manage wheelspin - I'm most nervous about wheelies. I do them all the time - I just want to know if I should continue to hold it full on even if the tire starts rising. Or if I need to roll off a bit. There's a big difference between the two and I really don't want to trash my bike.

Greg

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm certain someone out there has done it!

I can manage wheelspin - I'm most nervous about wheelies. I do them all the time - I just want to know if I should continue to hold it full on even if the tire starts rising. Or if I need to roll off a bit. There's a big difference between the two and I really don't want to trash my bike.

Greg

In MODE 3 , NO wheelies at all (personally verified several times )... Try that first to get a feel for the KLCM, then onto Mode 2

·
Registered
126 Posts
The only issue with launch control is if it ***** up. If the bike decides to let go, first thing itll want to do is go skyward and holding the throttle full open.... Scary thought.. I reckon could almost do a standing back flip... Lol.

Ill try out klcm 3 tonight. If you dont hear back from me, you know its a bad idea. :p

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The only issue with launch control is if it ***** up. If the bike decides to let go, first thing itll want to do is go skyward and holding the throttle full open.... Scary thought.. I reckon could almost do a standing back flip... Lol.

Ill try out klcm 3 tonight. If you dont hear back from me, you know its a bad idea. :p
ROTFLMAO! Oh no! ;)

That's kinda been my hesitation. Launch Control on a sports car vs a H2 is a very different end result if you do it wrong. Guess I'll try 3 too & hope for the best, lol!

@ **** - Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Does the system control wheelies simply by cutting enough power that it can't do a wheelie. Or does it have some system for measuring if a wheelie is happening (or about to happen) and control it that way.

BTW, what have guys been getting on a stone stock H2 in the 1/4?

Exhaust and flash?

Greg

·
Registered
126 Posts
fireball, i got a drag meet in 2 weeks. ill be able to tell you what the H2 can do bone stock(except with the exhaust off after the cat)

i didnt get around to riding my bike last night. but as for how it controls. id assume it would work with the traction control so if it feels any slip on either the back or front wheel, it'll back the power off gradually till its where it wants it to be? if it just had set power limits, i dont think it would be that useful, since more factors would need to be monitored..

·
Registered
210 Posts
How about wheelie control? The Yamaha R1M system seems to be pretty sweet - does our bike have anything like that?

BTW, other than the bike going into rain mode on it's own a couple of times (and fidgeting with that mess) - I have yet to play with the electronics at all other than to page through and reset the trip meter.

I wouldn't mind trying the KLCM though.

Greg

·
Registered
126 Posts
the traction control already monitors wheelies.. depending on what level its on. so Id assume the launch control would utilize that. Im sure one of the other guys here would have a better idea though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
so. i can now say with certainty, that klcm 1 or 2 will not keep the front wheel down.. I didnt try 3.. but did multiple runs on 1 and 1 run on 2.. 2 was slower, but front wheel still rose.. on the runs on klcm 1.. front wheel just continually rises.. once in third its not restricted by the klcm and you need to back off a bit to bring it back down a tad.. but its already quite high up by then..

·
Registered
577 Posts
so. i can now say with certainty, that klcm 1 or 2 will not keep the front wheel down.. I didnt try 3.. but did multiple runs on 1 and 1 run on 2.. 2 was slower, but front wheel still rose.. on the runs on klcm 1.. front wheel just continually rises.. once in third its not restricted by the klcm and you need to back off a bit to bring it back down a tad.. but its already quite high up by then..
What setting did you have the traction control on ?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Its my understanding that the R1 has accelerometers and gyros to keep the bike under tight attitude control. With that setup you could set a wheelie limit to 6 inches off the ground and ride it all day long. ...the Segway used a Accel/gyro pkg like this.

I don't think H2 has either of these so only thing that is left is ECU calculating rear wheel slippage and the speed differential to front wheel. But how does the control system work once the front wheel lifts off? Only way I think it can work is the ECU limits how aggressive the throttle by wire continues to open based on KTRC setting once the wheel is up. If the wheel comes up too fast on 1 go to 1+ or 2- until it lifts slowly enough to feel confident about it. IMO I don't think having it turned off makes the bike any quicker just makes it easier to go over.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.