Ninja H2 banner

How are you going to prevent pre-delivery test rides?

7K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Kawiguy454 
#1 ·
Being that the thing is irreplaceable and a repaint/repair isn't an option - how is anyone else making sure the whole town doesn't swing by to sit on your bike? I had a service tech put 10 miles on a new bike I ordered couple years ago. We had previously agreed that no one was to even sit on it. Needless to say I lost my mind. Then I had a second bike totalled by a service tech. It was a new model and they couldn't get parts for 6 months. Their insurance also denied the claim because the guy was high. It was a nightmare. I'm concerned that the temptation may be great for unnessary 'prep miles' or calls to buddies to come take a YT vid resulting in disaster.

I talked to the guy I ordered my bike from about it. I think we're good although I may have misread him but he seemed a little insulted. Didn't mean to but I've had a good run of bad luck. I'm also not spending 25K so some other dude can give my girlfriend a footrub.

It may seem paranoid but there's always one new employee destroyed hyper-ride whenever something interesting comes out. How are you handling it?

#2 · (Edited)
My dealer and I KNOW...I EXPECT my bikes to have ZERO MILES on em when I get em(they always call me the minute it gets into the shop...never failed to do that).I understand the tech(whom I trust as well)will take it out after assembly and go about a half mile,and come back(AFTER I've seen the mileage on it)...and he's no dummy.He aint about to experiment with MY NEW RIDE.One mile on the clock I will allow...but anything remotely appearing as 'joy riding'...it just doesn't happen with my dealer.I already told my guy...AFTER I break her in...he'll get to take er out,for a few.And that goes for the tech as well...I've always asked em..."well...did it ride okay and everything?"...they say...yep...she's ready for ya.And i know they've been as careful as I would.

They KNOW better than to pull some BS as you've mentioned.I simply won't accept a used bike when I'm paying new price.5 miles is 'used' to me.That's a critical time for the break-in process.No one breaks my bike(s) in for me....

I ordered a 2014 Harley Road King...gal told me...BRAND NEW.Okay...cool.I get there to pick it up...this thing has 11 miles on it.I didn't say anything...but I was really pissed and disappointed.I sold it the next day....didn't like it anyway after I rode it...Had I known it had those miles on it...I would have called the thing off....NEW is NEW...ZERO MILES.IF I'd been really on my game that day...I would have refused it flat out...but I didn't have any way to get back home...which was over 500 miles.

My dealer...I always kinda wink at him after I've ordered one...and tell him.."No scratches...zero miles"...he always says...'don't worry...you're gonna love your new bike'..with every one I've gotten there.

I got my 14R...my 2012 through him...They called..told me it was there...when I walked in...my guy said..."okay...there's a problem"...we went out to the shop...he walked me over to my new bike..said..."I don't know HOW this happened..but".....the bottom fairing had been crushed...I assume a forklift guy(probably at the factory) missed the crate or something(the metal crate frame at the front side was bent in pretty good)...and nailed the fairing with the fork(I'd guess whomever went to try and slide the fork under that frame..it caught..and bounced up into the bodywork)...it was broken and unrepairable...I was to say the least...saddened.I didn't get angry...he said..."don't worry...it'll be replaced by tomorrow...I'm totally sorry....we'll have her for ya"...and he did.So I chalked it up...and picked up my new baby next day...very happy.He even ended up servicing my bike free a couple of times...which he didn't have to do.

#3 ·
Just ask the dealer to call you when it comes in (in the crate) so you can see it. Insist no one except the senior tech ride it. Plan to shoot him if he messes up. Years ago my dealer was setting up a Suzuki B King and the tech was wheeling in the parking lot and hit a truck. Besides getting in a crappy wreck, he did not get his unemployment.

#5 ·
I think I'm gonna call once a week and remind them.

"Who bought this?"

"That annoying guy who calls once a week asking us not to ride it".

I wish I could turn it off somehow and not care but I just can't. My house got robbed one time. They kinda did me a favor because most of the **** they took I was more than happy to replace with new stuff - but the feeling of violation was impossible to shake. Like who the **** was this guy to help himself to my stuff while my back was turned? I worked hard for that. You want a MacBook and a Playstation go get your own. I had the exact same feeling both times that **** happened to my motorcycles. 10 years later I still think about that time Bud the service manager smoked a fat J then decided to take my brand new bike to lunch and totaled it. Then I think about my subsequent summer without a bike, the 2 year court battle, all the lying they did to avoid taking responsibility and how long it took to sell said bike with 400 miles and a salvage title. I don't ever wanna go through that again.

That said, wth do you do with the bodywork on this thing if it gets nicked?

#6 ·
When I took delivery on my 10R I told the dealer, who lucky for me, is a long time friend,
to call me when the bike comes in, don't wipe it down (detail) and don't start it, until I get
there. You should do the same, or similar with this delivery, for sure. Test ride was not done.

Test ride was not needed, but for the H2, I'll bet they will say they have to test ride it?

#12 ·
Try not to worry...it doesn't change anything.Only stresses you.That aint good.I learned(for me anyway)...it's gonna be what it is...but still...say what you want to have happen with your bike to the dealer...so there's no confusion.I really think MOST sellers understand the bond between a guy's bike and all that.Most want a guy to have the best experience ever...it sells bikes for one thing.And really...I think when the guys at the shop see this machine live...they're gonna see it isn't some painted new bike....it's pretty intimidating really.Seeing they can't just order a scratched body panel or something...and it get there overnight...I think they're gonna be VERY careful to get this right...the first time.

Ya just gotta be positive about it..and go with that.I think all our bikes will get well cared for by our dealers.I know my guy will be carefully watching the tech do what he has to do to prep it...and coaching if need be...he's quite sharp.And he's as excited about this as I am;)

#14 ·
Ya just gotta be positive about it..and go with that.I think all our bikes will get well cared for by our dealers.I know my guy will be carefully watching the tech do what he has to do to prep it...and coaching if need be...he's quite sharp.And he's as excited about this as I am;)
It would be great if all Tech's were scratch avoidance conscious but my own personal experience is that not all are... regardless of how expensive the bike/vehicle is.

I swear that some of these guys should only work on tractors. :eek:

#13 ·
It comes in assembled already...minus the windscreen.Which is sitting protected and attached to the tank.Maybe it will be totally assembled.They probably will have to install the battery...maybe charge it up...but that's about it.Fluids will most likely already be in there...except for fuel.It may or may not have the oil in there as well...probably will.Kawasaki Factory oil...I don't think they'd risk having a shop guy possibly start the bike without oil...if it even would start...which it most likely wouldn't.My zx14 won't start first time at oil change UNTIL the oil pressure climbs with cranking a few times.

#19 · (Edited)
I have a great relationship with my dealer and trust them explicitly. They too know that once I have broke it in that I will bring it in for the first documented service and then they can take it for a spin. I'm fortunate to have a great relationship with everyone one in the dealer from my salesman to the lead tech and everyone in between.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.